• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

Offense from the D is vital.

I can see Tanev being signed and I still think Zadorov will be a great fit. If we have Berube, I would consider resigning Edmunston.

Reilly Tanev
Mcabe Zadorov
Benoit Lilly
Edmunston.

Trade Marner to Nashville for Saros and do something for Forsberg OR
Marner to the Islanders for Barzal and Varlamov

I want a replacement for Marner on the wing.... Forsberg and Barzal being on team Matthews this year looked good. Really like both their games.

I mean yes, but also every team doing well in the second round is getting offense from their bottom 2 lines and D too.

That's true but if that was our main problem I'd be on the a crusade against bottom lines and would rail against anyone wanting to touch the core.

As of today Shanaplan will continue failing if they bring these guys back even if they get the bottom lines fixed. "Together" the core is nothing but losers.

Zeke did it a few pages back.

giphy.gif
I can see the individual nerdies, did I miss team rankings posted somewhere?

Or do I also not want to know?

I don't get the Dunn thing. In his last year in St. Louis he played 20 mins a game and scored at approx a 40 point pace, then their way overrated GM exposed him in the expansion draft to protect Faulk and Krug.
Liljegren played the same amount this year as Dunn did that year and we all agree that Keefe hates him. Just as blues fans felt that Berube hated Dunn, didn't trust him and ultimately pushed him out. They tried to trade him for a 1st in the year before and even healthy scratched him a few games. No takers.

Again, another Dubas miss/blunder. But that's besides the point!

Liljegren played the same amount this year as Dunn did that year and we all agree that Keefe hates him. Just as blues fans felt that Berube hated Dunn, didn't trust him and ultimately pushed him out. They tried to trade him for a 1st in the year before and even health scratched him a few games. No takers.

At least we didn’t lose holl and kerfoot for nothing.

That's true but if that was our main problem I'd be on the a crusade against bottom lines and would rail against anyone wanting to touch the core.

As of today Shanaplan will continue failing if they bring these guys back even if they get the bottom lines fixed. "Together" the core is nothing but losers.
Just to be clear here, you just mean you're open to moving Marner/Tavares though right?

Its one of our main problems. In 7 games we got two goals from our bottom 6/D (McCabe, Kampf). Through the first 4 games of the second round every team is crushing that. Edmonton got 2 alone yesterday.

Can't rely on 4 guys to score all your goals and expect to win anything. It clearly doesn't work.

Its one of our main problems. In 7 games we got two goals from our bottom 6/D (McCabe, Kampf). Through the first 4 games of the second round every team is crushing that. Edmonton got 2 alone yesterday.

Can't rely on 4 guys to score all your goals and expect to win anything. It clearly doesn't work.
And if you are going to do that, maybe have more than one D who can feed them the puck in transition.

Imagine thinking a dump n fuck in the corner game is a good idea with Mitch Marner on your roster, or asking John Tavares to do anything involving the word chase

Goals from bottom 6 and d
Carolina: 9 gp, 16 gls, 1.78 g/g
Colorado: 8 gp, 13 gls, 1.6
Florida: 9 gp, 13 gls, 1.44
Edmonton: 8 gp, 11 gls, 1.40
Dallas: 10 gp, 13 gls, 1.30
Vancouver: 9 gp, 10 gls, 1.11
Rangers: 8 gp, 7 gls, 0.88
Boston: 11 gp, 9 gls, 0.81
Toronto: 7 gp, 2gls, 0.29

Liljegren played the same amount this year as Dunn did that year and we all agree that Keefe hates him. Just as blues fans felt that Berube hated Dunn, didn't trust him and ultimately pushed him out. They tried to trade him for a 1st in the year before and even healthy scratched him a few games. No takers.

Its hard to say Keefe didn't give Lilly a chance this year though. Unfortunately he was not rewarded for it though. Lilly was garbage down the stretch.

You wouldn't take Leafs twitter seriously, why would you take Blues twitter seriously?

For me it all starts with the d. Basically all the teams remaining have extremely active d that contribute offensively and even THINK offense when they're on the ice. They're not all Makar's of course. Some Eddy's will exist. But the vast majority can skate, jump up in the rush and have the puck skills that the Leafs d didn't really have.

When is Lilly going to "step up". He had that run when Reilly was out, but he has stubbled so many times and therefore has made himself not trustworthy.

When is it the actual players responsibility.

Its hard to say Keefe didn't give Lilly a chance this year though. Unfortunately he was not rewarded for it though. Lilly was garbage down the stretch.

You wouldn't take Leafs twitter seriously, why would you take Blues twitter seriously?
Oh I have no idea. I was just making a joke about Berube since we're all suicidal here and aren't hopeful about changes, it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I mean it is fairly clear that Keefe wasn't particularly horny about Liljegren and Berube wasn't particularly horny about Dunn. Dunn in particular was always sheltered there and even healthy scratched a few times. A gm wouldn't try to trade a dman if his coach was in love. The healthy scratches in his final year there were a nail in the coffin.

It's fine though. No coach is perfect. Let's get the negatives out of the way early instead of being disappointed later.

Last edited:
For me it all starts with the d. Basically all the teams remaining have extremely active d that contribute offensively and even THINK offense when they're on the ice. They're not all Makar's of course. Some Eddy's will exist. But the vast majority can skate, jump up in the rush and have the puck skills that the Leafs d didn't really have.

Colorado has Manson and Johnson, but they also aren't completely devoid of skill. Both have had 40 point years in the NHL. They can complete a pass.

And the skill also helps in beating a forecheck. Dmen need to be able to move pucks quickly forward while under pressure. The Leafs D couldn't. They kept wringing it behind the net back and forth until there was a turnover. Have to be able to make a play with the puck.

Doesn't fill me with optimism that they thought filling half the blueline with lugs was a good idea.

Doesn't fill me with optimism that they thought filling half the blueline with lugs was a good idea.
Makes me less optimistic that Tree's top target last summer was Dumba. When that failed he chose a guy that was unplayable for the prior two years. Yes they need offense from the blue line but that guy needs to know how to play hockey too. God damn why is this so hard?

Colorado has Manson and Johnson, but they also aren't completely devoid of skill. Both have had 40 point years in the NHL. They can complete a pass.

And the skill also helps in beating a forecheck. Dmen need to be able to move pucks quickly forward while under pressure. The Leafs D couldn't. They kept wringing it behind the net back and forth until there was a turnover. Have to be able to make a play with the puck.
Boosh was the leafs version of Manson. He looked like Makar on this d corps. That's probably not a good thing, but credit to him!

It's been so difficult listening to people (family) wanting to keep the edmunsons of the team around because they can "defend well".

You ask them why the like the player and you hear "good at the front of the net, hits people in the d zone etc" but when you ask "well does that just mean the player is defending to far too long" they look at you like you have 3 heads. Trying to tell people the job of a defender is to transition the puck out of the zone is like teaching a rabbit to play the guitar.

The lugs all played well tbh so I get the temptation to want to keep them all and go with that moving forward. But if you actually play an up tempo winning style like the Avs and Panthers, and surround your d with guys who can skate and move the puck, those guys would be outliers and look useless again.

It's kind of a weird situation because you can look at the team and say hey Eddy was good, Boosh was good, Benoit was fine. So what's the problem? Run it back! But then they can't play a style that actually wins games and scores goals with all three playing. I don't trust leafs FO to recognize that.

The only reason to want to bring 1 of them back is you can get them kn a 1 year deal at $1MM and therefore you prevent Tre from sending multiple picks out the door at the deadline.

Back