• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Core 4 No More: The Motherfucking Off-Season Thread

I have never been more convinced in my position on this. Forumice has been so consistently wrong about everything goaltending for years now. If they believe one thing, then the Leafs should definitely do the opposite. The fact that we're even spending this much energy on goaltending is hilarious to me considering it wasn't even in the top five reasons they have sucked balls in the last two playoffs.
Do you think we would have beaten Boston if Woll was healthy and in net from game one?

I have never been more convinced in my position on this. Forumice has been so consistently wrong about everything goaltending for years now. If they believe one thing, then the Leafs should definitely do the opposite. The fact that we're even spending this much energy on goaltending is hilarious to me considering it wasn't even in the top five reasons they have sucked balls in the last two playoffs.
Yes, we need to improve the forwards. Yes, we need to improve the D.

But we also only have one NHL goalie under contract right now. We literally need to acquire a goalie (unless you wanna run Woll-Hildy). Pretending otherwise is just disingenuous.

That is the impression I have, but it’s not because I don’t think Woll is good, and not because I don’t think we’d have won that series if Woll had started every game.

The undeniable fact is that Woll has struggled with serious injury problems in each of his professional seasons, and we saw it again this year. He severely injured his ankle just standing by himself in his crease, and then he was unavailable for a game seven because he somehow managed to break his back making a cross-crease save.

Hopefully it’s something he’ll eventually figure out, but until then we need a good insurance policy for him. Probably also wouldn’t hurt him to have a veteran starter to learn from.
Ironic for LOF, notoriously opposed to injury prone players, to be such a Woll stan.

I am quite high on Woll too but durability remains a serious and legit Q.

You guys have twisted yourself in such a weird circle on this goaltending is voodoo stuff that you're eating your own ass.
I mean, it is voodoo. But still, there are some trends to the voodoo. And not all voodoo practitioners were created equally.

Do you think we would have beaten Boston if Woll was healthy and in net from game one?
I think so personally and that Keefe exasperated the roster issues in a lot of ways.

But then I still go back to having half the blueline be Benoit, Edmundson and Boosh and think that is just in no way, shape, or form good enough.

Bob shouldn't have been signed to that contract....and it still might work out for them, pending the work he puts in this week and Bob showed statistical decline in back to back years prior to Florida signing him ffs.

and it still might work out for them. It sure as fuck hasn't hampered them from building a real good team over there either despite looking like one of the worst goalie contracts on the planet for a while.
Don’t forget the Knight contract they buried in the A

I think so personally and that Keefe exasperated the roster issues in a lot of ways.

But then I still go back to having half the blueline be Benoit, Edmundson and Boosh and think that is just in no way, shape, or form good enough.
Even if you get past Boston, i dont think they have a shot against Florida.

I don't think it's voodoo. In fact I haven't said what it was. I just think the data tells a different story than what folks here believe! I'm not the one digging in here because my position is that I think it's hilarious that the wrongest forum in history about goaltending has all this confidence that they have the answers.
You know you are part of this forum too? Arguably more so than most when factoring in goldust, gordo; etc

Pro-tip: andersen ain't no different than most "#1 goalies".

Ullmark has been a calamity in the playoffs every time.

Saros was the 4th best goalie in his series behind Silovs, Demko, and even fricken Desmith.

Hellebuyck was the worst goalie in these playoffs.
What is your preferred plan then? Woll/Brossoit?

They might have won with Woll. But it would have been something if we won a series scoring 1.7 goals per game.
Yeah, fix the offense. Fix the D too. But we need a G and I do not want it to be some retread career backup on the wrong side of 30

Yes, we need to improve the forwards. Yes, we need to improve the D.

But we also only have one NHL goalie under contract right now. We literally need to acquire a goalie (unless you wanna run Woll-Hildy). Pretending otherwise is just disingenuous.
I never said they shouldn't acquire a goalie. I just find it comical that some are acting like goaltending has even been a top 5 issue in the last two playoffs runs. But yes of course they need a goalie and I hope it's a good one! I just wouldn't spend any money on one if you aren't getting Saros or Ullmark; the rest are volatile, unpredictable and you don't really know what you're gonna get from them (not an opinion, this is a fact based on data I presented a few pages ago). So why spend money on one? And even Saros and Ullmark are no locks. I know we hated Fred but Ullmark is a playoff catastrophe in his career that even Fred doesn't come close to.

I never said they shouldn't acquire a goalie. I just find it comical that some are acting like goaltending has even been a top 5 issue in the last two playoffs runs. But yes of course they need a goalie and I hope it's a good one! I just wouldn't spend any money on one if you aren't getting Saros or Ullmark; the rest are volatile, unpredictable and you don't really know what you're gonna get from them. So why spend money on one? And even Saros and Ullmark are no locks. I know we hated Fred but Ullmark is a playoff catastrophe in his career that even Fred doesn't come close to.
the position you've outlined in this post is largely consistent with that other folks have been saying?

what are we arguing about then?

yeah, we need a goalie.

yeah, they are assholes. all of them have concerns.

I've stated a preference for a durable asshole, and not a Brossoit asshole.

I haven't seen anyone advocate spending big dollars and term to obtain a goalie? beyond some suggestions that if Sorokin is actually available, it's probably worth looking into acquiring him since he is one of the few legit consistent goalies in the league...

Back