• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #5 - Tues. Apr. 30 7PM - Toronto Maple Leafs @ Boston Bruins - So You're Saying There's a Chance Team Zen Edition

uhh... do you actually think McD and MacK are more physical than Matty?

and are you willing to entertain any statistical measures that show that this is untrue?

MacKinnon is psychotic in ways Matty isn't, for sure. but I would not describe his play at all as "more physical". same for McD, who is even softer than Matty.
What I really, really admire from Matthews (aside from his ability to score goals) is his crazy ability to get the puck off other players and keep it. Watching him guard that puck with his strength is very impressive. And he's an awesome two way player. All I ask for is an honest answer when he isn't performing up to par.

You're inferring it constantly.

Hits:

McDavid: 118
Crosby: 102
Matthews: 90
Mackinnon: 55

This is all bias and nonsense man.

There's a certain minimum in health disclosure required by the NHL's agreement with the gambling sponsors. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's not lying about shit that would get him fined by the NHL when he could just as easily call it an injury.
I never thought about the gambling side of that. Very valid. Thank You.

Not really. Matthews uses his body more than most superstars. You're looking at a weak team and extrapolating it to every player on the team. Not quite how it works. Matthews isn't on the level of bitchtitude as Tavares and Marner.
yah in terms of manliness vs pussiness spectrum (assuming we accept this premise), Auston and Willy land on the manlier side, mucho and pajama boy on the pussier side.

while we're at it, Mo is on the manlier side too.

Again, you are putting these guys on a pedestal. Something you shouldn't be doing.

Except, within this context they 100% belong on a pedestal. They're the absolute best in the world at what they do. That doesn't make them nicer, smarter, better people than the rest of us. But when the discussion is about the physical and mental toughness necessary to achieve that level of athletic success, they're so far beyond the scope of experience for most of us that we don't have a proper frame of reference understand their level of competitiveness, dedication to their craft, etc.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7J-WvrI4DM

By the time they've reached this level, they've already overcome multiple character/desire/competitiveness filters that the rest of us failed at. Each additional filter is an additional level of separation that can't be explained by raw talent and with each additional filter they're further removed from our personal experiences.

If you want to call understanding the distance involved in that separation from my personal experiences "a pedestal", fuck, have at it. It just shows your lack of understanding of how much they've already had to achieve just to get to the place where we question whether he really wanted to come back to the game or not....I mean, did he argue with the doctor as much as I know I would have in his position?

If I had to wager on how this series plays out from here, I'd bet more money on the scenario where we win the next two and lose game 7, than lose tonight.

Let's get this over with

gladiatorsaluteyou.gif

No Matthews stings a little. Leafs have no reason to win a single game without him, much less 3 straight. Which obviously means they're going to do it.

Back