• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT | Game 17 | VS Golden Knights | Thursday, November 16 | 7PM EST

Drafting Reinbacher over Michkov was unforgiveable. I've lost complete faith in the current management crew as a result. Too bad, I had high hopes.

There were several other forwards that were better choices than a defenceman as well.
How do you know when Michkov is 3 years away from getting to the NHL

Drafting Reinbacher over Michkov was unforgiveable. I've lost complete faith in the current management crew as a result. Too bad, I had high hopes.

There were several other forwards that were better choices than a defenceman as well.
I would only counter - top pairing minute eating Dman, who can play all game situations is the toughest find in a draft, unidimensional W are much easier

Will Orville Redenbacher develop into a Pietrangelo type? Remains to be seen…

I would only counter - top pairing minute eating Dman, who can play all game situations is the toughest find in a draft, unidimensional W are much easier

Excellent comp for Orville and has better wheels

If so, all's well. Odds seem better with Michkov. There are a lot of drafted big defencemen who "could" develop into a Pietrangelo type.

If so, all's well. Odds seem better with Michkov. There are a lot of drafted big defencemen who "could" develop into a Pietrangelo type.
Actually odds are better with D in top-5 IMO. How many play driving W are selected top of a draft but never panned out aka Hall, JVR, Drouin, Yakopov, etc?

Patrick Kane is the only play driving W who comes to mind even though a plethora have been drafted top-5 over the years..

Ovy obviously was an elite finisher from Day 1, but has been dependent on play driving Cs his career - Backstrom & Kuznetsov

Last edited:
Lots of Norris type winners were picked later in the draft — so talents being equal, I will take my chances with the electrifying forward.

Even on the Habs, our best D in recent memory, Subban, Weber, Markov were not first rounders

We once drafted Eric Charron, hoping he would develop into Larry Robinson. Who also wasn't drafted top 10. Lots of risks all over.

“We” also once drafted Sergachev @ #6 … hoping he’d be good too…

My point is there’s risk drafting an “an all around dman” very high so let’s not pretend Michkov is the only risk here.

We can trade names all day but there’s no doubt Norris winning D can be found later in the draft than Hart trophy forwards

My point is there’s risk drafting an “an all around dman” very high so let’s not pretend Michkov is the only risk here.

We can trade names all day but there’s no doubt Norris winning D can be found later in the draft than Hart trophy forwards
There’s also a risk anointing Gorton as some type of brilliant hire when his track record isn’t nearly as successful as MBs ( which isn’t elite by any means to begin with) but that didn’t stop the hot takes either…

“We” also once drafted Sergachev @ #6 … hoping he’d be good too…
If Reinbacher ends up being another Sergachev and Michkov becomes an electrifying high scoring player, we lost the gamble. Sergachev is vanilla and nothing special. He's a good defenseman, but he's not going to the Hall of Fame and is invisible most of the time. He's a latter day Rick Green only less inspiring. If that's what happens with Orville then the Habs have once again settled for good instead of reaching for greatness.

If Reinbacher ends up being another Sergachev and Michkov becomes an electrifying high scoring player, we lost the gamble. Sergachev is vanilla and nothing special. He's a good defenseman, but he's not going to the Hall of Fame and is invisible most of the time. He's a latter day Rick Green only less inspiring. If that's what happens with Orville then the Habs have once again settled for good instead of reaching for greatness.
rather take a good liberal German than a fascist Russian homophobe...

Yeah, after watching Sergachev closely in the playoff rounds, I found him to be somewhat overrated for a top pick. Not in the Darnell Nurse camp of overratedness, and a nice piece to have on a team, sure. But inconsistency and dumb play are certainly not absent in his game. He can follow up a terrible game with a good one, and vice versa. Maybe his play will smooth out as he ages, as it often does with veteran defencemen. Or not.

I, too, hope we set our sights a little higher than a Sergachev with a top 5 pick.

Back