• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT JAN 21: TOR @ COL, 9pm

And its not like those young guys won't get chances if the Leafs upgrade their defense. They have used 9 defensemen through 52 games already this season. Having that kind of depth on the Marlies is great.

Not sure why we'd waste money or assets on a slot where we have tremendous young cheap very near nhl ready depth.

Our cheap young physical defensive dmen are the backbone of our surprising ahl squad, they've all done good time in the ahl, and all of th deserve a shot, really.

None of them have shown to be very near NHL ready, and more importantly improving the d core doesn't take away their opportunity at all. It just takes away the teams need to rely on completely unproven players.

What else would you spend the money or assets on aside from upgrading the teams weakest position this season?

No problem with those guys as the 7/8/9. You need that depth. And if they end up deserving more that is a great problem to have.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - Clarkson
Orr - XXXX - McLaren

Gunnar - Phaneuf
XXXX - Gleason
Rielly - XXXX

Bernier - XXXX

Bolland, Raymond, McClement, Kulemin (UFA), Reimer, Gardiner, Franson (RFA)

Just over 20 million in room if I've calculated correctly. Thoughts on who to lose, keep, etc?

None of them have shown to be very near NHL ready, and more importantly improving the d core doesn't take away their opportunity at all. It just takes away the teams need to rely on completely unproven players.

I don't think that's true really. People were pretty damn impressed with MacWilliam and Percy in preseason.

People were more impressed with Gardiner and Rielly in preseason. They have struggled a bunch.

These guys haven't even played one NHL game and you are calling them "very near NHL ready" and handing over ice time.

Maybe they'll earn it. And if they do, great.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - Clarkson
Orr - XXXX - McLaren

Gunnar - Phaneuf
XXXX - Gleason
Rielly - XXXX

Bernier - XXXX

Just over 20 million in room if I've calculated correctly. Thoughts on who to lose, keep, etc?

Keep Bolland ($4ish), Reimer ($2ish), McSelke ($1) and Gardiner ($2-3ish). Then you have $10-11 million to add a top 6 forward and top 4 dman. I'd fill the 3rd line wing slot and depth positions from within.

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - XXXX
XXXX - XXXX - Clarkson
Orr - XXXX - McLaren

Gunnar - Phaneuf
XXXX - Gleason
Rielly - XXXX

Bernier - XXXX

Bolded the ones i think we need to keep
Italicized the ones i would like to keep

wouldn't mind moulson as that 2nd line winger and komorov as a 3rd/4th line winger

have not done the math with the cap yet though

These guys haven't even played one NHL game and you are calling them "very near NHL ready" and handing over ice time.

I'm not "handing" them anything. I think they're both near NHL ready and can see one or both of Percy and MacWilliam on the team in the next year or two.

I'm a little bit nervous of doing anything UFA wise on the blueline with the outrageous contracts even mediocre UFA dmen get, that's all.

They're already blocked by unplayable crap like fraser, so don't even have a chance to earn a look.

And now we want to go out and add more filler crao just for experience? No thanks.

Agree with all those leafman, although I'd be open to keeping Kuly if the price is right. He's unlikely to ever score 30 goals again, but he's one of our few wingers that can play on the half boards in our own zone, is a useful penalty killer, and has enough puck skills to move up to the 2nd line if needed.

Raymond's a faggy little bitch, I'd be pretty upset if we resigned him. Franson's just too dumb, but hopefully could fetch some assets in a trade. Bolland we can hopefully get at a hometown discount, especially given his injury this year and injury history. McClem on the 4th line is ideal.

JVR ($4.25) - Bozak ($4.2) - Kessel ($8)
Lupul ($5.25) - Kadri ($2.9) - Vanek ($7)
Leivo ($0.7) - Bolland ($4) - Clarkson ($5.25)
D'Amigo ($0.85) - Holland ($1.5) - Ashton ($0.85)
Orr ($0.925)

Gunnar ($3.15) - Phaneuf ($7)
Gardiner ($2.5) - Rielly ($0.875)
Gleaston ($4) - Morris ($1.5)
MacWilliams ($0.85)

Bernier ($2.9)
Reimer ($2.5)

Salary: $71,087,667
Roster size: 22
Cap Space: $12,333

They're already blocked by unplayable crap like fraser, so don't even have a chance to earn a look.

And now we want to go out and add more filler crao just for experience? No thanks.

Not for experience. For quality.

Who is saying to add more filler crap this offseason? Don't think anyone. Except for arguably those that want MacWilliams and Holzer to be penciled in I guess.

And its not like those young guys won't get chances if the Leafs upgrade their defense. They have used 9 defensemen through 52 games already this season. Having that kind of depth on the Marlies is great.

They haven't needed to use 9 dmen - they were forced to because of the contracts we signed.

We've only needed 7 this year:

Gunnar - phaneuf
Gardiner - rielly
Gleason/liles - franson
Ranger

Gleason liles count as one roster slot.

A guy like ranger was needed this year for both style needs and because the ahl guys were mostly unknowns coming in, but fraser never was. Now that gleason is here the stkyle needs are removed, and with both the three rookie ahlers percy, mac, granberg adapting so easily to the ahl, and the three "vets" brennan, holzer, marshall all taking big steps forward, the depth needs are removed as well.

Basically we'd be counting on an elite 20yr old to be a #4/5 guy,and then a very good sevenpack (current 6 + finn) of young takented ahl dmen to fight for the 6/7 slots.

And that's more than fine.

How do you figure he can be penciled into the lineup?

Just for reference Ranger was way better than any of those guys in the AHL last year.

Not for experience. For quality.

Who is saying to add more filler crap this offseason? Don't think anyone. Except for arguably those that want MacWilliams and Holzer to be penciled in I guess.

If you want to add another big contract to the blueline then just say so. But then don't pay lip service to the ahl guys earning a spot because there won't be any spots to earn for at least 3yrs.

And remember, we're already going to have a good $20m locked into 5 dmen next year, with rielly looking at a big raise just a year later.

If you want to add another big contract to the blueline then just say so. But then don't pay lip service to the ahl guys earning a spot because there won't be any spots to earn for at least 3yrs.

And remember, we're already going to have a good $20m locked into 5 dmen next year, with rielly looking at a big raise just a year later.

I really don't feel the need to save spots for anyone. If they earn a spot like Gardiner and Rielly did that is fine. No one is blocking players who deserve it. Never have never will.

This idea that adding players = adding filler crap though is just weird. Why can't we add good players that will help us more than some second or third tier prospect?

I'm with Zeke.

Why block kids who've proven themselves worth of the opportunity. Gardiner and Rielly can hold their own on their pairing, and the rook can learn alongside Gleason on another pairing.

And moving Franson in a potentially JVRish type of deal up front would be amazing. And I think he can for sure net us a really good young forward.

I'm more thinking that the organization has built up a pool of pretty good defensive prospects and ideally you can use that to your advantage by having a couple of these kids on the cheap providing quality play for us. I look on the UFA market and there's a few guys there that look like they'll get way, way overpaid for what they bring to the table. I'm quite nervous about getting locked in to some of those deals.

Back