• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT JAN 21: TOR @ COL, 9pm

don't add any more dmen.

Trade Franson.

next year go with:

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Rielly
Gleason - Percy/Finn/Granberg/Holzer/MacWilliam

don't add any more dmen.

Trade Franson.

next year go with:

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Rielly

I'd be fine with this. I think I've seen enough out of those 5 guys that I trust that one or two of them will be able to push for a spot. How's Percy been doing with the Marlies?

Mark Masters @markhmasters
Jake Gardiner on turnover that led to 2nd Avs goal: "I don't know what's going on right now, but I'm making some poor decisions"

Gardiner on TO in 3rd: "I didn't see anything & made a hope play & obviously it's something no coach likes & obviously I don't like it"

I'd be fine with this. I think I've seen enough out of those 5 guys that I trust that one or two of them will be able to push for a spot. How's Percy been doing with the Marlies?

all the marlies dmen look pretty damn great this year, to be honest. and all of them are 25 or younger.

Holzer and Granberg are both righties, which might give them an edge.

they also have less upside and less developing you might want to do with them.

But percy's the one with top-4 upside.

Phaneuf says he was indeed trying to bank puck to Kessel off end boards on play that led to 1st goal

looked like it to me.

don't add any more dmen.

Trade Franson.

next year go with:

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Rielly

Yeah, I agree with this. Give the kids a chance to crack the lineup, just about all of them look ready for a shot at a depth role. Cheap, quality depth there, no sense ****ing it up putting some overpaid UFA into that slot when we have so much in house. Trade Franson for something to replace Raymond/Kulemin in the top 6 and we're onto something.

Ideally, we'd find another JVR situation where a team is less than thrilled with a kid in his early-mid 20's and gets impatient with him.

Having three greenhorns in the lineup is not really a viable solution. If you want to run the season out without an upgrade, fine, I agree. However, upgrading Franson does not necessarily mean obtaining a long-term option.

Phaneuf says he was indeed trying to bank puck to Kessel off end boards on play that led to 1st goal

looked like it to me.

Funny, they kept mentioning a missed pass that got lucky, all I saw was Phaneuf banking a pass to Kessel.

Yeah, I'm not sure the best idea is to just hand a spot to a young guy with Rielly and Gardiner already in there. We've seen how badly Rielly and Gardiner have struggled at times and no one on the list is remotely as good as they are.

They should pick up a cheap short term option like Robidas, Mitchell or Morris. If one of the young guys beats them for a spot great. Either that or go bit with a guy like Byfuglein.

Then the young guys are your depth. Which is good, because you need 8-9 NHL defensemen every season.

I wouldn't do anything this year unless a sweet deal you can't refuse falls on your lap. I'd like to see this group in the playoffs again;

We hear that is where Clarkson will shine...so let's see. What difference will Bernier make, will Bolland be 100%? What will the kids look like with another playoff to grow off?
We all know how stupid the trade deadline deals are, I'd rather see what we have a bit longer. I think the last of the old deals (Tucker, etc) comes off the books so we'll have a little more money, we'll know better which D we want to keep, in general Nonis should have a much better grasp of things after a full length season and playoffs.

Plus, I believe that if we look good in the playoffs we can start thinking about attracting some better UFA's when they see the Leafs might finally be heading in the right direction.

It's a bit crazy how different this team is playing now considering how bad they looked just 7 or 8 games ago. Alien abduction maybe?

Having three greenhorns in the lineup is not really a viable solution. If you want to run the season out without an upgrade, fine, I agree. However, upgrading Franson does not necessarily mean obtaining a long-term option.

Whenis a greenhorn nit a greenhorn anymore? Gards will be a 24yr old 4th yr player next year.

next year:

Gleason 31
Phaneuf 29
Gunnar 28
Gardiner 24

Then an elite prospsect 20yr old sophomore, and one 20-24yr old rookie.

Blackhawks 1st cup winning D:

Keith 26 - 5th yr
Seabrook 24 - 5th yr

Hjalmarsson 22 - 2nd yr
Campbell 30 - 9th yr

Sopel 33 - 10th yr
Hendry 25 - 2nd yr

LA's cup winning D:

Doughty 22 - 4th yr
Mitchell 34 - 11th yr

Voynov 22 - rookie
Scuderi 33 - 7th yr

Greene 28 - 7th yr
Martinez 24 - 2nd yr

MacWilliam will be 24 next year anyway. He plays a safe and solid game I wouldn't be too worried about him in a 6/7 spot at all.

Its up to the young guys to earn it. Can't just say Gardiner is 24 so now he is ready to stop making young, inexperienced mistakes. If the Leafs have 3 young guys who deserve to play big roles great.

Not sure why we'd want to just hand anyone anything. Especially on defense. Its not like our blueline has been particularly good this year.

Last edited:
Not sure why we'd waste money or assets on a slot where we have tremendous young cheap very near nhl ready depth.

Our cheap young physical defensive dmen are the backbone of our surprising ahl squad, they've all done good time in the ahl, and all of th deserve a shot, really.

Back