• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Dano defensive game is so great, and with this run he will get 5 or more.
But how many purely defensive player get this amount? He is now 3 C. Is 3C worth this amount?. A guy who scores less than 10 per year.
Is there any league similar example(contract/role/points)?

Let someone else overpay , we are a bubble team next year

Evans and RP will handle bigger roles next year

Hope Evans is fully healthy , never know with concussions
Unfortunately Dano will be back for 4 years at 5 or 5.5 because of the playoff he is having and being the only regular Quebecor in line up.
I like his defensive game but i think as you said Evans and RP eventually can replace him.

I don’t think he’s phony; I believes he’s super emotional (ie...his love of Price) and that can negatively impact strategic thinking required by a GM
Nah - your words after Gorges was jettisoned post 2014 playoffs...”cold blooded killer GM”

Gorges was the penultimate MB type player - team first w character coming out of the wazoo.

MB is a fan of his players, but he’s very calculated & pragmatic with a concrete belief in his philosophy of team first players w lots of character.

If anything I’ve come to realize MB is probably the most transparent GM the Habs have had in my lifetime as a fan - which isn’t necessarily a great thing for that role in this marketplace

If we win…hopefully we do….he will jettison a lot of the older vets.

and those vets might welcome it honestly, finishing their careers in quieter markets especially after they got their ring

Just Staal + Alzner buyout implication next season creates close to $4M in additional cap space. Add in Tatar + expansion draft (likely Chiarot), that’s another $8M+

The big benefit to be had will be Drouin. Just for giggles, I could see a team like Yotes willing to swap OEL for Drouin and eating difference in AAV, simply due to actual salary savings $10.5M vs $5.5M. Not saying I’d do such a deal but I expect those types of deals to become available this off-season w another suppressed marketplace

Just Staal + Alzner buyout implication next season creates close to $4M in additional cap space. Add in Tatar + expansion draft (likely Chiarot), that’s another $8M+

The big benefit to be had will be Drouin. Just for giggles, I could see a team like Yotes willing to swap OEL for Drouin and eating difference in AAV, simply due to actual salary savings $10.5M vs $5.5M. Not saying I’d do such a deal but I expect those types of deals to become available this off-season w another suppressed marketplace

Doubt they retain all 3 of Lek , Armia , and Dano

There was one of the post-game celebration videos, I think after they won game 3 against Vegas, where there was someone who looked very similar to Drouin giving fist pumps to the players coming off the ice.

I have no idea what it means, but I'm still of the opinion that he's not ever playing another game for us. He'll be traded or bought out (or kept on permanent LTIR).

Staal? He is UFA.

None of these vets will ever get this close again. Once this run is over, their time in Montreal should also be over. The worst thing that Bergevin could do is to read too much into this run. It's a nice run of good luck but it is not indicative of any upward trend and he should not be making personnel decisions based on the last dozen games. This team is still deeply flawed and the roster needs to be gutted.

Yeah, i highly doubt the old vets lile Price, Weber, Perry, Staal repeat what they are doing now.
This team like Dallas can make it to final and miss the playoff the next year.
Anyway lets enjoy it while it last.

Yeah, i highly doubt the old vets lile Price, Weber, Perry, Staal repeat what they are doing now.
This team like Dallas can make it to final and miss the playoff the next year.
Anyway lets enjoy it while it last.
If not for Covid causing a divisional realignment (removing Tampa from our division) and shaving 30 games off the regular season allowing those vets to still have gas in the tank now, the Habs would never be in the final. This is a complete outlier that will never repeat. Enjoy it for what it is and for as long as it lasts but don't make decisions about next season based on what you're seeing now. None of this is sustainable.

None of these vets will ever get this close again. Once this run is over, their time in Montreal should also be over. The worst thing that Bergevin could do is to read too much into this run. It's a nice run of good luck but it is not indicative of any upward trend and he should not be making personnel decisions based on the last dozen games. This team is still deeply flawed and the roster needs to be gutted.
I do agree.

This will be Price & Weber's one and only shot, considering their age and the amount of young talent available to fill in the roster spots.

They have to win.

Back