• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Even the higher talent being produced seems to be primarily from imports.

Small population subset to draw from - registration for youth hockey programs dropping (cost + interest), combined w aging Francophone demographic
The ''new'' French demographic are not aging...they are mostly from immigrant backgroup (Maghreb mostly)....which prefer soccer/football

I wish we had $$$ to get an NBA team....that's a great sport that could thrive even in MTL's hockey market

There's definitely a shift amongst youth....

Lots of my friends refused to put their kids in hockey (even talking 10-15 years ago)....so we can see the consequences of that now.

was it the cost? the physical risk?

here in Ontario, so many of my friends/acquaintances dedicate a crazy amount of their resources (time/money) to enrolling their kids into hockey schools and tournaments all over the continent. It's bananas.

Seems to be the case...but any idea on what is going with the next wave of players?

Quebec is producing so very little on-ice talent.
Look at divorce rates for your answers. Putting a kid through hockey is too expensive and time consuming for most two parent families, let alone single parent households. There's no free icetime to be had and thanks to global warming lakes and rivers don't freeze over hard enough or long enough. Kids in general have more distractions competing for their attention. the Quebec minor hockey system is a meat grinder. I've seen people heckling 8 year old kids and 15 year old referees.

But mostly it comes down to competition. Quebec born players had a higher profile back when the league had 6 teams, 120 players and no foreigners. Today the league has close to 800 active players from all over the globe. Quebec accounts for about 50-60 of those 800 and we know that the vast majority of them are not in any way elite.

here in Ontario, so many of my friends/acquaintances dedicate a crazy amount of their resources (time/money) to enrolling their kids into hockey schools and tournaments all over the continent. It's bananas.

Quebec is not Ontario....my impression is that immigrants in Ontario (english culture) integrate more to the welcoming culture, as opposed to French culture.

Want an example: look at England vs France....in England, the immigrants integrate well, they consider themselves British. In France, it's chaos...French vs English cultures.

Same here vs Ontario....

Just my 2 cents (being an immigrant myself)

Quebec enjoys a 50% population advantage over Finland. Not seeing it on the ice.

Quebec is not Ontario....my impression is that immigrants in Ontario (english culture) integrate more to the welcoming culture, as opposed to French culture.

Want an example: look at England vs France....in England, the immigrants integrate well, they consider themselves British. In France, it's chaos...French vs English cultures.

Same here vs Ontario....

Ya, but most of the immigrants to Ontario can't afford hockey or are generally not interested (ie middle class and wealthy folks form China).

I get the sense that in Ontario, even in Toronto, kids playing hockey is as normal as them going to summer camp.

In Quebec, hockey players were usually from small towns -- that seems to have dried up.

I’m part of the “bananas” crowd. My son’s annual hockey bill is probably close to $15,000, which is completely bonkers.

Quebec enjoys a 50% population advantage over Finland. Not seeing it on the ice.
Finnish population is very homogeneous, and hockey / winter sports are part of their culture as Rollie said Mtl population growth is driven by la Francophone mainly from North Africa & Haiti. Population for rest of Quebec is dropping

Ontario's population is also driven by immigration from non-hockey nations. But the old school wasps (with low childbirth rates) are still pumping out the likes of Josh Anderson, Paul Byron, Jake Evans, Nick Suzuki, Eric Staal, Corey Perry, Tyler Toffoli, Ben Chiarot --- and that's just on the Habs. Even adjusting for population, that's an insane amount of product.

Ontario's population is also driven by immigration from non-hockey nations. But the old school wasps (with low childbirth rates) are still pumping out the likes of Josh Anderson, Paul Byron, Jake Evans, Nick Suzuki, Eric Staal, Corey Perry, Tyler Toffoli, Ben Chiarot --- and that's just the Habs. Even adjusting for population, that's an insane amount of product.
Ontario youth hockey is way way advanced compared to its Quebec counterpart, same OHL vs Q

But main factor is $, Ontario disposable income / earning >>>> Quebec, hence ability to afford private youth hockey programs etc.

Ontario youth hockey is way way advanced compared to its Quebec counterpart, same OHL vs Q

But main factor is $, Ontario disposable income / earning >>>> Quebec, hence ability to afford private youth hockey programs etc.

that was my initial stated hypothesis -- money with a side order of changing values

culture is very much a monkey see -- monkey do dynamic....and the collective urge to send kids to hockey camps is yuge in my extended circle

I don't think there's AAA hockey in Quebec until midget. The AAA teams in the GTHL will probably produce 10 NHL players, if not more, for every birth year.

FWIW - around 14:30 min, Weise says Jo Jo was old school in tactics & style (belittles young players etc), but puts on a front by selling himself as a good communicator and tactician, but his strategies revolve around out working the opponent not anything more creative

Says today’s players respond to Cooper types not old school disciplinarian types.

Last edited:

Same here vs Ontario....

They may consider themselves British but many Britons would disagree, if the outpouring of racism in response to England's loss in the Euro is any indication.

And I doubt that Ontario is as welcoming as you think it is, given that Derek Sloan was elected to Parliament.

Back