• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

If you live in this part of the U.S. you don’t need to travel too far to play high quality tournaments or get very good coaching. Maybe you do in the frozen tundra but not here. So yeah, you’re wrong.
I see it as both of us are right...

Tennis definitely cost more in Quebec than hockey....not even close...like not even close...for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

I guess in your part of the world, a teenager can go to multiple good tennis tourneys easily by road trip

Tennis definitely cost more in Quebec than hockey....not even close...like not even close...for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

I guess in your part of the world, a teenager can go to multiple good tennis tourneys easily by road trip
Yup. But foot hockey in these necks of the woods you need to travel for quality opponents and tournaments.

D-3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships, only D-1 and even then, it’s not likely to be a full free ride.

My buddy`s son played 4 years at Lake Superior State and was all paid

I though all DIV schools had full scholarships , thanks for the info

D-3 schools do not offer athletic scholarships, only D-1 and even then, it’s not likely to be a full free ride.
yep....same for tennis.......especially IV league schools....they don't all offer free rides for tennis, only a part is paid

A paid education is more than worth it
of course !!!

It's your way into getting a free education at an IV league school for example.....no matter how shitty their tennis program is....just take it and run...don't worry about wanting to sign with the top programs, you're not making a career out of it, you're just taking the free education ticket

Tennis will drain a family`s bank account easily

My buddy`s daughter had a cup of coffee at the pros and grew up with Milos in Thornhill

He worked a near decade of OT to offset some costs and had some luck with corporate funds

Luckily , she got a teaching pro job in the States and is making good money now

Yeah...and ALL tennis parents are nuts (yes i include myself)

At least some hockey parents are normal (my bipolar side)

of course !!!

It's your way into getting a free education at an IV league school for example.....no matter how shitty their tennis program is....just take it and run...don't worry about wanting to sign with the top programs, you're not making a career out of it, you're just taking the free education ticket
Ivy League tennis is actually tremendous. That’s our goal with our son. My older son will swim D-1 but not much scholarship money there either. There are like 10 full scholarships divided among 30-40 swimmers, and not always evenly.

Ivy League tennis is actually tremendous. That’s our goal with our son. My older son will swim D-1 but not much scholarship money there either. There are like 10 full scholarships divided among 30-40 swimmers, and not always evenly.
So here’s the thing we’ve noticed…Ivy League tennis rarely offer full ride scholarships….but very good non-Ivy league schools do…you take the non-Ivy league offer and run.

So here’s the thing we’ve noticed…Ivy League tennis rarely offer full ride scholarships….but very good non-Ivy league schools do…you take the non-Ivy league offer and run.
Not sure about that. Some degrees are with more than others.

Like Virginia or Michigan? Good academic reputation.

I medical degree whether from Michigan, Virginia, Florida, Lousiana is nothing to frown on....sure it's not Stanford or John Hopkins, but Krusty didn't go to Princeton and he still turned out relatively normal for a lawyer

Get the BSc. at a (very) good non-Ivy as a launch pad. Gotta crush the MCAT anyway. (Is that still a thing?)
Pas le choix anyways....to get the BSc

And yes, that's the usual plan....but combine the scholarship and resumé with the BSc, and your chances of finding a spot in one of the millions of medical schools in North America just went up significantly

Back