• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

As if this season wasn't already a clown show inside a dumpster fire, Premier Lego now wants to play pin the tail on the francophone player. Why a provincial government faced with issues such as the pandemic, crumbling infrastructure, homelessness etc. would even bother with an issue as trivial as the "need" to develop more French speaking hockey players (as if they're all going to play for the Habs and nowhere else) is beyond me. Just more grandstanding bullshit. If Lego wants people to take more pride in the Habs he should tell people to stop buying tickets until Molson gives them a winning team to take pride in. Nobody cares about how well you assemble francophone players on your roster if the team sucks balls.

As if this season wasn't already a clown show inside a dumpster fire, Premier Lego now wants to play pin the tail on the francophone player. Why a provincial government faced with issues such as the pandemic, crumbling infrastructure, homelessness etc. would even bother with an issue as trivial as the "need" to develop more French speaking hockey players (as if they're all going to play for the Habs and nowhere else) is beyond me. Just more grandstanding bullshit. If Lego wants people to take more pride in the Habs he should tell people to stop buying tickets until Molson gives them a winning team to take pride in. Nobody cares about how well you assemble francophone players on your roster if the team sucks balls.

Actually a great thing, we've been talking for 25 years that Hockey Quebec needs an overhaul, hopefully it's a step in the right direction. I like Marc Denis as the head, really smart guy who's not scared to ruffle a few feathers.

Hockey Quebec's had a loooooot of issues and hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

There are some things that I don't know will ever be repairable, but it's still worth a shot.

2. Marc Bergevin, Montreal

What has Marc Bergevin, like, done, exactly? What has he REALLY accomplished?

Sure, he led his team to an improbable Stanley Cup Final appearance last season thanks to an unforeseen combination of injury, shooting, and goaltending luck. That is true. You can't dispute it.

What you also can't dispute is how Bergevin followed that up by losing half of his core to free agency that off-season, got dunked on by an opposing offer sheet, and watched his team fall all the way back to the basement.

If that's your crowning achievement, your butt should be sweating right about now.

Bergevin is the king of mediocrity. His ability to build a roster that looks juuuuust formidable enough on paper to squeak into the playoffs each year is honestly remarkable - the dream of an owner whose margins live or die on two home games of post-season revenue.

A decade into his tenure and the needle has barely moved. The Canadiens are 4-12-2 at the moment. They're still incapable of scoring goals, still pressed up against the cap's ceiling, and still allergic to drafting and developing their own talent.

That is a staggering failure in roster constructing, one that demonstrates Bergevin's inability to identify young talent, and, in the event that he does, willingness to flippantly deal it away in pursuit of a contention window that never truly opens.

If Bergevin hasn't built a contender by now, why would you believe he'll ever do it?

Last edited:
Hockey Quebec's had a loooooot of issues and hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

There are some things that I don't know will ever be repairable, but it's still worth a shot.

What is the main problem with grass roots Quebec hockey

Weak enrolment ...expensive ..... lack of facilities , etc ?

That is a staggering failure in roster constructing, one that demonstrates Bergevin's inability to identify young talent, and, in the event that he does, willingness to flippantly deal it away in pursuit of a contention window that never truly opens.

While I fully agree with the rest of the post, I'm not sure where he gets that part? If there is one thing that can't be hold against it is that.

Ho about repairing some potholes or schools or addressing the issue of affordable housing or homelessness or something that actually benefits the public? The provincial government doesn't need to be involved in frivolous things like amateur hockey. Sports should never be a government priority.

While I fully agree with the rest of the post, I'm not sure where he gets that part? If there is one thing that can't be hold against it is that.
Sure you can, because this team was never a contender for anything but a wild card berth. You don't blow your brains out trying to secure 8th place. You are either a Cup contender or you are a garbage team hoping for miracles to save you. A decade on the job and we are no further ahead than we were the day he arrived. A wasted decade.

Sure you can, because this team was never a contender for anything but a wild card berth. You don't blow your brains out trying to secure 8th place. You are either a Cup contender or you are a garbage team hoping for miracles to save you. A decade on the job and we are no further ahead than we were the day he arrived. A wasted decade.
At no point did he blew his brain, never sacrificed the future for a short term gain, never traded a 1st round pick until this year, and the only time he traded a top prospect was for another top prospect (even though it backfired). He's the king of low cost moves. He managed to tread water for years but always getting value through trades, some fortunate waivers pickups, and some hits and misses on free agency.

Back