• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Besides Dietz, I thought Beaulieu, Leblanc, De La Rose and Bournival were mismanaged. It's not all Lefebvre fault either, some of those were rushed and subjected to the yoyo treatment that thwarted their development.

I think it's telling that the only successful prospects during that period were those avoiding the AHL, like Gallagher (about 30 games) and Lehkonen.

Besides Dietz, I thought Beaulieu, Leblanc, De La Rose and Bournival were mismanaged. It's not all Lefebvre fault either, some of those were rushed and subjected to the yoyo treatment that thwarted their development.

I think it's telling that the only successful prospects during that period were those avoiding the AHL, like Gallagher (about 30 games) and Lehkonen.
I have a long-standing theory about Louis Leblanc and I'm not sure any coach could have fixed him. Leblanc's a player that purposely took every step to be the big fish in a little pond. Was the best midget prospect in Quebec at his age, chose to stay in Midget while players his age went to the Q so that he could keep his NCAA eligibility. He chose to to go Harvard, which will never be known as a hockey hotbed (despite improving since then), only to go back to the Q as a 20 year old. The second the rubber hit the road and things weren't smooth sailing, he fell apart. I (probably wrongly) defended Lefebvre's usage of him in the AHL because my mindset is, if you can't shutdown the opposing team's top lines in the minors, you have no shot in the NHL. Leblanc did everything he ever could to avoid adversity and when it hit him, he crumbled.

De La Rose, meh. Who knows, I doubt it. Never had any offensive talent when we drafted him.

Bournival's career got wrecked by concussions more than bad development.

Let's not forget Sebastian Collberg, the zero scoring steal of the draft.

I have a long-standing theory about Louis Leblanc and I'm not sure any coach could have fixed him. Leblanc's a player that purposely took every step to be the big fish in a little pond. Was the best midget prospect in Quebec at his age, chose to stay in Midget while players his age went to the Q so that he could keep his NCAA eligibility. He chose to to go Harvard, which will never be known as a hockey hotbed (despite improving since then), only to go back to the Q as a 20 year old. The second the rubber hit the road and things weren't smooth sailing, he fell apart. I (probably wrongly) defended Lefebvre's usage of him in the AHL because my mindset is, if you can't shutdown the opposing team's top lines in the minors, you have no shot in the NHL. Leblanc did everything he ever could to avoid adversity and when it hit him, he crumbled.

De La Rose, meh. Who knows, I doubt it. Never had any offensive talent when we drafted him.

Bournival's career got wrecked by concussions more than bad development.
There is probably some truth to it but Leblanc looked decent the first year in the NHL and suddenly the next year could barely score a goal in the AHL, I never quite seen anything like it.

De La Rose never had an ounce of offense in his game but his defensive game was mature beyond his years and should have been able to establish himself as a premier shutdown forward in the league, not a borderline journeyman. What was the point of rushing him to the NHL at 19??

There is probably some truth to it but Leblanc looked decent the first year in the NHL and suddenly the next year could barely score a goal in the AHL, I never quite seen anything like it.

De La Rose never had an ounce of offense in his game but his defensive game was mature beyond his years and should have been able to establish himself as a premier shutdown forward in the league, not a borderline journeyman. What was the point of rushing him to the NHL at 19??
🤷‍♂️

Another good game by Evans last night, if this keeps up..in another 15-20GP, might be time to consider looking at what Danault can bring in via trade and in parallel explore what Ana is looking for in return for Getzlaf (who’s UFA) for a playoff push, and whether he’d waive his NMC for 2-3 months of Mtl w Perry, Weber, Price all here.

Might a C deficient org like up & coming NYR be willing to part with a couple of young NHL ready prospects for Danault? At 28 he’d slot right in with Panarin & Zibenijhad as young vets and most importantly their 2C

I’d assume Ana would be looking for a 1st + prospect?

Idea being Getzlaf would bring experience to shore up top-3C roles - Suzuki, KK & Getzlaf w Evans as 4C and moving up to 3C next season. Assumes continued progression this season of all 3-young Cs

Last edited:
Getzlaf’s cap hit is prohibitive.

He likely would waive for a chance at a cup though.

Another good game by Evans last night, if this keeps up..in another 15-20GP, might be time to consider looking at what Danault can bring in via trade and in parallel explore what Ana is looking for in return for Getzlaf (who’s UFA) for a playoff push, and whether he’d waive his NMC for 2-3 months of Mtl w Perry, Weber, Price all here.

Might a C deficient org like up & coming NYR be willing to part with a couple of young NHL ready prospects for Danault? At 28 he’d slot right in with Panarin & Zibenijhad as young vets and most importantly their 2C

I’d assume Ana would be looking for a 1st + prospect?

Idea being Getzlaf would bring experience to shore up top-3C roles - Suzuki, KK & Getzlaf w Evans as 4C and moving up to 3C next season. Assumes continued progression this season of all 3-young Cs

Dano in NYR would be a solid fit , exactly what they need

They wouldn’t give up much for him though. Need a solid center prospect back at minimum.

Back