• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Habs have 47 points in 42 games....92 point pace. Less points than 2018-19 when we had less "depth", and a backup goalie with a .887 save percentage

Just watched some of the Ottawa game before tiring of it.

I am having a hard time watching a full Habs game anymore, because I get bored and distracted by whatever else is going on. This has been taking place, for ,oh maybe 3-4 years, since PKs departure anyway. A period, doesn't matter which one, is about all I can take. At first I figured it was me, maybe age, cynicism whatever. . But when I catch parts of other games, featuring combinations of teams in the East like Wash/Phil/NYR/NYI/ Pitt/Bos sometimes they suck me in and I can watch for long stretches. I have generally enjoyed the playoffs the last few years too, though no vested interest in any team.

So I don't think after watching the game since 1962 I suddenly lost my interest in hockey.Its a lack of interest in the Habs. Hard to believe..I was as diehard a fan as there was, used to get butterflies before games..... loved every minute of it for decades. .

Last edited:
Habs have 47 points in 42 games....92 point pace. Less points than 2018-19 when we had less "depth", and a backup goalie with a .887 save percentage
11GP in 19-days
3 in 4
2 in less than 24 hours.

The old guys being leaned on, need a breather and the team looks tired in general - also stuck w minimal options w only 1-recall remaining till end of the season.

The Byron waiver moves (3x recalls) to buy cap space are hurting the ability to call up the Hobbit, Evans & Poehling to inject youthful energy

11GP in 19-days
3 in 4
2 in less than 24 hours.

The old guys being leaned on, need a breather and the team looks tired in general - also stuck w minimal options w only 1-recall remaining till end of the season.

The Byron waiver moves (3x) to buy cap space are hurting the ability to call up the Hobbit, Evans & Poehling to inject youthful energy

except MB went out and got Staal to replace Evans (as if 71 was the problem)...so he has nobody else to blame for the current callup and financial handcuffs

the real problem is that we last played Vancouver a month ago...every other divisional opponent has proven to be a coin flip matchup at best

it doesn't mean we can't get hot all of a sudden...CC may provide a boost...but the team is what it's record says it is

except MB went out and got Staal to replace Evans (as if 71 was the problem)...so he has nobody else to blame for the current callup and financial handcuffs

the real problem is that we last played Vancouver a month ago...every other divisional opponent has proven to be a coin flip matchup at best

it doesn't mean we can't get hot all of a sudden...CC may provide a boost...but the team is what it's record says it is
Mediocre?

Reactions: CH1
Bergy's initial vision/system based on character/leadership players cannot be undone until Weber-Price players are gone.

Gainey did the same thing when Koivu-Kovalev-Souray-Tanguay (and friends) all walked.....but the replacements didn't do better.

Also, Bergy has nobody more knowledgeable in the organization to report to. The GM in Colorado reports to Sakic....Sakic knows hockey......Bergy reports to Geoff.....Geoff doesn't know hockey.

Bergy's initial vision/system based on character/leadership players cannot be undone until Weber-Price players are gone.

Gainey did the same thing when Koivu-Kovalev-Souray-Tanguay (and friends) all walked.....but the replacements didn't do better.

Also, Bergy has nobody more knowledgeable in the organization to report to. The GM in Colorado reports to Sakic....Sakic knows hockey......Bergy reports to Geoff.....Geoff doesn't know hockey.
Hope so, since Sakic is the GM

BTW - that Presidents role is a BS role and is only viable when a team is part of a larger conglomerate such as MLSE with multiple sporting teams, same w MSG.

Stevie Y, Brisebois, Jim Nill, Zito etc. do not report to a President of Hockey Ops

Last edited:
Hope so, since Sakic is the GM

BTW - that Presidents role is a BS role and is only viable when a team is part of a larger conglomerate such as MLSE with multiple sporting teams, same w MSG.

Stevie Y, Brisebois, Jim Nill, Zito etc. do not report to a President of Hockey Ops
but Sakic wasn't the GM at the beginning....remember

but Sakic wasn't the GM at the beginning....remember
Sakic was the de facto GM when brought aboard by Sam Walton’s son-in-law...when he first came on board w St.Patrick they shared the GM role - Greg Sherman who had the title of GM served as an advisor to Sakic & Roy.

It was understood from the beginning there would be a transition phase to get Sakic & Roy comfortable after being out of the game or as Bobby Mac said all parties understand Sherman is GM in title only

11GP in 19-days
3 in 4
2 in less than 24 hours.

The Byron waiver moves (3x recalls) to buy cap space are hurting the ability to call up the Hobbit, Evans & Poehling to inject youthful energy

Does Byron account for half our call ups , and if yes why didn’t we just leave leave it on the taxi squad if Nero wanted him gone

I don't think Nero wanted Byron gone; he was simply sure that nobody would bite on his contract.

Too many callups happened at the deadline when 2 extra d-men were picked up...

Difference is under Gainey those players were all UFA’s and left . How this regime navigates 2 aging vets on big contracts is anyone’s guess .

It’s going to get worse , with many free agents this summer and overpaying more patch work players like Dano just keeps the can kicking down the road

I don't think Nero wanted Byron gone; he was simply sure that nobody would bite on his contract.

Too many callups happened at the deadline when 2 extra d-men were picked up...
Post trade deadline a team is allowed 4-regular recalls until AHL season is done. A team is allowed an infinite number of emergency recalls.

MB used 3-of his-4 recalls on deadline day, now have 1-left to add to the roster (presumably Evans or Caufield). After the use of that last regular recall, would only be able to recall someone in case of injury.

So it’s down to one of Caufield or Evans...

Why wasn’t Mete put on waivers prior to deadline day, did MB decide last minute on Monday?

Not saying the Hobbit will save this team, but if Habs miss the playoffs due to administrative error keeping them from using taxi squad support....forget all the other MB debatable errors, this classifies 100% as pure incompetency.

Reactions: CH1

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed. Seems like Staal's line is always stuck in our end. Bring Evans back in

Glad I wasn't the only one that noticed. Seems like Staal's line is always stuck in our end. Bring Evans back in

Should change his name to CRAWL

Back