• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

That's the thing... the core is not good enough to compete with the best teams.

Even though Bergevin went 4/4 this offseason (Toffoli, Anderson, Allen, Edmundson), this team is still a bubble playoff squad.

You need a few elite players. Otherwise, you're betting that everyone consistently plays at the height of their talent.

We had a bunch of career years a few years ago and we still missed the playoffs , without top talent you need a full team of overachievers ...good luck.

Reactions: CH1
today's practice...Romy still in; Drouin slips to the 4th line

Tatar - Danault - Anderson
Toffoli - Suzuki - Armia
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Byron
Drouin - Staal - Perry
Caufield, Evans, Frolik

Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Merrill
Kulak, Ouellet

Allen
Primeau

The core of the team is Price, Weber, Petry, Gallagher, Drouin, Suzuki and KK.
Yep. And look at the age distribution of that core. It’s too flat, it should be more of a bell curve.

Relics: Weber, Price, Perry, Staal
Kids: Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov

These are the olds and the youngins, they are the compliments to the middle aged pros who should be the pillars of a good team.

Middle aged:
Gallagher - very good, injury prone
Petry - very good
Allen - OK
Tatar - Meh, inconsistent
Danault - zero punch
Drouin - why is drouin
Chariots of Tire Fire - yikes
Edmundson/Kulak... and the remainder... canon fodder

That is one shitty middle aged group, and punches below its weight in the core... it should be the dominant group.

And while Bergevin shoulders a lot of the blame, I can’t help but point my finger at Timmins. The absence of solid 25 to 29 year old core lies squarely with his shitty, shitty drafting.

Yep. And look at the age distribution of that core. It’s too flat, it should be more of a bell curve.

Relics: Weber, Price, Perry, Staal
Kids: Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov

These are the olds and the youngins, they are the compliments to the middle aged pros who should be the pillars of a good team.

Middle aged:
Gallagher - very good, injury prone
Petry - very good
Allen - OK
Tatar - Meh, inconsistent
Danault - zero punch
Drouin - why is drouin
Chariots of Tire Fire - yikes
Edmundson/Kulak... and the remainder... canon fodder

That is one shitty middle aged group, and punches below its weight in the core... it should be the dominant group.

And while Bergevin shoulders a lot of the blame, I can’t help but point my finger at Timmins. The absence of solid 25 to 29 year old core lies squarely with his shitty, shitty drafting.

Excellent post

That's the thing... the core is not good enough to compete with the best teams.

Even though Bergevin went 4/4 this offseason (Toffoli, Anderson, Allen, Edmundson), this team is still a bubble playoff squad.

You need a few elite players. Otherwise, you're betting that everyone consistently plays at the height of their talent.

True, they're not even playing up to their own talent.

I always thought Bergevin was just a dumb jock who was decent at “winning trades” if not actually constructing successful hockey teams. But this cap management fiasco, and that’s what it is, is inexcusable. Even if they somehow do well in the playoffs - highly unlikely - he should be terminated at the end of the season just for his mismanagement of the cap. This is really bush league stuff. It shouldn’t be tolerated by ownership.

8th dman Erik Gustafsson moves the needle more than Caufield!!! (that's why he's currently on the roster)

not yet...but you'll see (maybe)

I always thought Bergevin was just a dumb jock who was decent at “winning trades” if not actually constructing successful hockey teams. But this cap management fiasco, and that’s what it is, is inexcusable. Even if they somehow do well in the playoffs - highly unlikely - he should be terminated at the end of the season just for his mismanagement of the cap. This is really bush league stuff. It shouldn’t be tolerated by ownership.
Is it possible no one in management really understands how cap management and player movement work? Makes you wonder.....the discussion on Julian Brisebois a few days ago makes me think that perhaps yes, we did have a guy who should have been allowed to take over sooner rather than later. I don't think they even knew they had such a candidate within. He did do marvellous work after all last year with adding missing pieces in Tampa that faciliated the Cup win. He wasn't afraid of taking a risk and overpaying, because he had it thought out very well. And knew he had other chips to play if that didn't work. I guess I'm convinced.

We need a visionary. Have for some time. Pollack was, in his time...since then, no one really. I remember when Pollack was hired (yes, truly)..there were doubters..but someone (Selke?) knew....

Last edited:
Is it possible no one in management really understands how cap management and player movement work? Makes you wonder.....the discussion on Julian Brisebois a few days ago makes me think that perhaps yes, we did have a guy who should have been allowed to take over sooner rather than later. I don't think they even knew they had such a candidate within. He did do marvellous work after all last year with adding missing pieces in Tampa that faciliated the Cup win. He wasn't afraid of taking a risk and overpaying, because he had it thought out very well. And knew he had other chips to play if that didn't work. I guess I'm convinced.

We need a visionary. Have for some time. Pollack was, in his time...since then, no one really. I remember when Pollack was hired (yes, truly)..there were doubters..but someone (Selke?) knew....

lets not forget , TB is a cap mess and only the Kuch surgery saved their bacon

TB also handed out shit contracts and excessive trade clauses over the years

They won the cup but lets not applaud their cap management , its worse than ours

lets not forget , TB is a cap mess and only the Kuch surgery saved their bacon

TB also handed out shit contracts and excessive trade clauses over the years

They won the cup but lets not applaud their cap management , its worse than ours
I mean, not really.

They're in cap hell because a bunch of their players are in their primes and earning a lot of money? Almost all of which could be moved in any offseason, with the exception of Stamkos? As opposed to us, where our top players are past their prime, grossly overpaid, and we've given out a ton of shitty contracts?

Tampa Bay's cap situation is enviable. I wish we were stuck with their problems.

FYI - Habs hired away one of the premier if not the best capologists from NHL HQ - John Sedgwick ...who helped develop the cap system structure while at his law firm

FYI - Habs hired away one of the premier if not the best capologists from NHL HQ - John Sedgwick ...who helped develop the cap system structure while at his law firm
Just goes to show that historically when most players come here they start sucking...even at the management level

Toffoli being the exception

Back