• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

As Pierre Rinfret mentioned yesterday on the radio: we have 9M of cap space towards two players that don't move the needle for us (Drouin-Byron). That's an incredible amount, 9M, for what we are getting in return.
So which superstar will waive their NTC / NMC for Mtl for the first time ever?

If he was worth 2 seconds then he was worth a 4 years/3.4M contract, you can't have it both ways.

He had value for sure, but I though the contract at the time was too much too long. Mostly too long. Same money on a 2-3 years contract and I wouldn't mind, but also we were rebuilding at the time so the pick(s) had more value to us. Finally he's never been the same since that stupid fight, because urr-durr the code.
Sure you can. In fact, it's quite easy to have it both ways.

Foligno just got traded for a first & more, nobody in their right mind would argue that if he got a long-term contract from Toronto, it'd be good.

Blake Coleman got traded for a 1st+ last year, you want to give him a contract similar to what Paul Byron got? Hell no.

Byron had value because he was cheap and productive. The fact that he got waived twice in his career prior to when he broke out is completely irrelevant.

You guys love speaking with such certainty on very subjective topics. Makes me tune you out. You keep making assumptions like MB didn’t try to move him ever. You forget he was waived twice. It’s so easy arm chairing this crap with certainty eh?
Pretty sure The Charlatan publicly said (for the little his word is worth) he wasn't going to trade Byron.

Foligno just got traded for a first & more, nobody in their right mind would argue that if he got a long-term contract from Toronto, it'd be good.

Blake Coleman got traded for a 1st+ last year, you want to give him a contract similar to what Paul Byron got? Hell no.

Byron had value because he was cheap and productive. The fact that he got waived twice in his career prior to when he broke out is completely irrelevant.
sure but he wasnt worth 2 seconds
just like he wasnt worth his contract

sure but he wasnt worth 2 seconds
just like he wasnt worth his contract
I don't think he was ever worth two seconds, no.

I thought he was worth one, which would have been a late second to a contending team.

And if that's all we could have gotten from Byron, so be it.

If we had traded Byron at the 2018 deadline, then yeah, we could have gotten something close, although probably not as much as Coleman and Foligno because you know, size.

If we had traded Byron at the 2018 deadline, then yeah, we could have gotten something close, although probably not as much as Coleman and Foligno because you know, size.
Coleman's an inch or two bigger than Byron, he's not a giant.

Coleman got a first in return because while he's not some superstar player, he's good and he had a year & a half left on his contract at very cheap.

The Foligno trade is... I don't know. Can't explain that. I wouldn't have given a 1st for Foligno, even a late first.

The Leafs resisted rebuilding for 40 yrs....Habs might resist it for another 5, 10, 15 years? but at some point a rebuild is thrust upon you.

Leafs had no choice , fan revolt was around the corner

Empty seats and boxes , less merchandise sold etc....

My buddy was working with MLSE on some IT projects and he could see the tension that change was needed

Gut jobs or retools are painful and sometimes don't work if managed poorly

Patch jobs and kicking the can down the road with poor drafting ….never work long term

Paul Byron was a great bargain basement find; the lesson is to keep finding those guys (we certainly can't find stars) but not overpay the ones that work out.

Yup , just like the lesson is develop Alzners and Edmunson then move them when they want to get paid

The point is we paid and 1 year later it was a shit contract

That is a bad deal in my books , and a reach .

Byron when he was 20 goal scorer could get us a 2nd rounder. Easy...
Not this Byron.. Still if this Byron had half of his current salary he was gone long time ago on waivers

At some point, Habs org will not have a choice

It has to at some point

You cant have a putrid draft and development record and just patch

You can get away with good trading but it needs to be supplemented with good drafting

Coleman's an inch or two bigger than Byron, he's not a giant.

Coleman got a first in return because while he's not some superstar player, he's good and he had a year & a half left on his contract at very cheap.

The Foligno trade is... I don't know. Can't explain that. I wouldn't have given a 1st for Foligno, even a late first.

Coleman is a very good comparable to Byron, he had a very good year, 21 goals in 57 games, was versatile, cheap with a year and a half left. Which is why I mentioned the 2018 deadline.

5'11 180lbs vs 5'9 160lbs is a big difference for coaches and GMs.

The Leafs resisted rebuilding for 40 yrs....Habs might resist it for another 5, 10, 15 years? but at some point a rebuild is thrust upon you.
It’s remarkable that we managed to come out empty handed in terms of elite/superstar talent from having two top 3 picks in a 5-year span

In that same span, Leafs got Rielly and Matthews with their top 5 picks

Luck of the draw....

Back