• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Unless they are core players, or you think a player is a missing piece to get you a Cup and the short term benefit is greater than the long term pain, there is really no reason to give term and money to a player.

The problem with the Habs is that they're are almost always in the playoff bubble so they can never trade a guy like Byron for futures at the deadline

The only time we've been clearly out was last year and Bergy was able to trade Scandella, Nate, Kovy 2.0 for a bunch of picks and ironically we still made the "playoffs" and over performed despite giving up a bunch of vets that other (better) teams found useful

The problem with the Habs is that they're are almost always in the playoff bubble so they can never trade a guy like Byron for futures at the deadline

The only time we've been clearly out was last year and Bergy was able to trade Scandella, Nate, Kovy 2.0 for a bunch of picks and ironically we still made the "playoffs" and over performed despite giving up a bunch of vets that other (better) teams found useful

Except we signed him in September 2018, right after coming out of a 71 points season and a top 3 pick.

Except we signed him in September 2018, right after coming out of a 71 points season and a top 3 pick.

Separate issue -- I already discussed Byron's inflated value on a mediocre team.

The deadline thing is more of a general statement of how we hang on to fringe players too long -- in fact we add to them more often than not.

Yeah, I don't think Drouin's ever going to play another game with us.

I hope he gets whatever it is that's affecting him fixed, but I don't think he'll be back as a Hab.
He’s a wuss. Goodbye Drouin and good riddance.

Last edited:
Which is fine. Plenty I dislike too. The issue is you’re making gross assumptions.

Also, GW is right, can’t have it both ways. A player worth 2 seconds is worth his contract.

He was worth the money , but a half ass smart GM has to understand what is Byron going to do on a team that is going nowhere ?

Can he keep scoring 20 for the duration of his contract ?

Fast forward to this summer are you retaining Lek , Armia or overpaying Dano cause its the safe bet since our 2 young C`s are still developing

Are you going term with Tatar on a team that probably will miss the playoffs in a normal format

If Dano signed that offer of 5 plus mil it would of been a disaster even if the market dictates it was fair for his defensive role

Regimes have to understand what makes sense , more often they don't and just cave on the safe play

Byron was obtained through waivers, has been waived twice with no claim and you think there’s a trade market for him? Maybe an argument for not resigning but trade? Good luck with that.
before he signed there was a market for a cheap speedy PKer
but once he became an expensive injury prone PKer...not so much

Exactly , way too much cap dollars on players that don't move anything but their bank accounts

We have to let many walk this summer

JD, Byron, Lek , Armia, Dano ….nearly 25% cap and your lucky to get 20 goals combined …...pathetic

Tatar is the only one I would even think of resigning

Cant have too many 3+ mil players all over our bottom 6

Time to go younger ...CC , JY , RP and cheaper to fill out the bottom 6

No issue with Lek or Armia but players in the summer can do their job for a mil
i would explore a short term (1-2 years) show me contract with Dano....and then trade him if he does show you

i totally forgot about all of this

i do not even know who Nate is

He was worth the money , but a half ass smart GM has to understand what is Byron going to do on a team that is going nowhere ?

Can he keep scoring 20 for the duration of his contract ?

Fast forward to this summer are you retaining Lek , Armia or overpaying Dano cause its the safe bet since our 2 young C`s are still developing

Are you going term with Tatar on a team that probably will miss the playoffs in a normal format

If Dano signed that offer of 5 plus mil it would of been a disaster even if the market dictates it was fair for his defensive role

Regimes have to understand what makes sense , more often they don't and just cave on the safe play
covid and a flat cap is still a thing

so i am curious what Tatar and Dano do - they might find there is no market for them
i would bring them back on the cheap 1-2 year deals
and then trade them

keep in mind we have a lot of bad to average players locked up long term so a tank is going to be hard

weber, price are bad
gallagher, petry, anderson on bad deals

that is going to be our core for the next bunch of seasons...sadly

the only hope is a Bergevin firing with the new guy biting the bullet and trading core pieces

covid and a flat cap is still a thing

so i am curious what Tatar and Dano do - they might find there is no market for them
i would bring them back on the cheap 1-2 year deals
and then trade them

keep in mind we have a lot of bad to average players locked up long term so a tank is going to be hard

weber, price are bad
gallagher, petry, anderson on bad deals

that is going to be our core for the next bunch of seasons...sadly
Gallagher, Petry and Anderson will be fine as players for at least the next 3-4 years; there's no point worring about their contracts beyond that time. We can deal with that then.

Paul Byron was a great bargain basement find; the lesson is to keep finding those guys (we certainly can't find stars) but not overpay the ones that work out.
yes.....we need to sell high like with Max Pac

Too bad nobody thought it was smart to sell high on Price...

the only hope is a Bergevin firing with the new guy biting the bullet and trading core pieces
the problem is that Molson won't allow the new GM to retool-rebuild....Molson has mentioned it a few times. We shall see what happens this summer when Patik Wa takes over as coach....

the problem is that Molson won't allow the new GM to retool-rebuild....Molson has mentioned it a few times. We shall see what happens this summer when Patik Wa takes over as coach....

The Leafs resisted rebuilding for 40 yrs....Habs might resist it for another 5, 10, 15 years? but at some point a rebuild is thrust upon you.

Back