• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Habs Season Thread: 2024-25 Regular Season

Exactly , but you could improve every aspect of your team but still make huge mistakes

What if Gorton decides its just a small retool and keep trying to win by dumping kids and prospects to keep kicking the can down the road ?

What good is drafting better over the next 3 years if your still trying to move the train with no direction
Agreed. For now I have a good impression of Hughes, and i think Gorton will help him. Looking forward to see those two work.

Petry didn't say he wanted to be traded, but its written all over his face wink wink

Petry , Gally and a healthy Price would be fools to stick around if they want to play for a competitive team again

But... But... But... I kept hearing the same people over tell me over and over that despite having years and mountains of evidence that giving out term and money to players in their late 20s / early 30s wasn't a good idea, there was no way of proving that those contracts were going to be bad.

Boy, those chickens have come home to roost, haven't they? Now we're stuck.

Not stuck because LTIR.

But i never thought it would end this way for Carey. I always thought he would not play the last two years of his contract. Now it's 5. I dont think he wants to play anymore honestly but also doesn't want to leave money on the table.

Not stuck because LTIR.

But i never thought it would end this way for Carey. I always thought he would not play the last two years of his contract. Now it's 5. I dont think he wants to play anymore honestly but also doesn't want to leave money on the table.
That's a minuscule part of it. It's actually, quite literally, the least of our problems.

Money's a small component of it. Sure, we could put Price on LTIR for the duration of his contract, assuming he agrees to it. But Petry/Gallagher aren't injured, they're going to be part of the team for as long as they're here.

It's the fact that our rebuild would have been over by now if we had traded them for futures. Every single one of them - Price, Petry, Gallagher, Armia - would have fetched us a superb return had we traded them before we gave them those hideous deals.

It's also the fact that this franchise would be better off right now... If we had let them go for nothing. We would not be trying to figure out ways to get rid of them.

And you could put every single one of the long-term contracts on LTIR, we'd still be stuck. We'll have money... to spend on more players that are in their late 20s and early 30s that will put us in caphell. The exact type of players that we're trying to get rid of. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

The money is important to have to re-sign our players. The reason why we're so fucked now is that we've quite literally signed all of our talented young player---- By all, I mean Nick Suzuki. There's nobody else that has a pressing need to get signed.

I'm not sure most here realize how deep this puddle of shit that we've stepped in is. This isn't going to be a one or two year fix, it's going to take at least 5 to fix this fucking mess.

Petry can be moved. I think Gallagher could be the best paid 4th liner in the league for a few years, and then bought out. I think Price will be traded, but the Habs are eating cap space.

It’s gonna be a long, ugly ride with dead cap space.

That's a minuscule part of it. It's actually, quite literally, the least of our problems.

Money's a small component of it. Sure, we could put Price on LTIR for the duration of his contract, assuming he agrees to it. But Petry/Gallagher aren't injured, they're going to be part of the team for as long as they're here.

It's the fact that our rebuild would have been over by now if we had traded them for futures. Every single one of them - Price, Petry, Gallagher, Armia - would have fetched us a superb return had we traded them before we gave them those hideous deals.

It's also the fact that this franchise would be better off right now... If we had let them go for nothing. We would not be trying to figure out ways to get rid of them.

And you could put every single one of the long-term contracts on LTIR, we'd still be stuck. We'll have money... to spend on more players that are in their late 20s and early 30s that will put us in caphell. The exact type of players that we're trying to get rid of. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

The money is important to have to re-sign our players. The reason why we're so fucked now is that we've quite literally signed all of our talented young player---- By all, I mean Nick Suzuki. There's nobody else that has a pressing need to get signed.

I'm not sure most here realize how deep this puddle of shit that we've stepped in is. This isn't going to be a one or two year fix, it's going to take at least 5 to fix this fucking mess.

It’s 5 years minimum if this regime does it right from the start and starts nailing the draft

Better hope the precious few prospects all hit their peak in 3 years

If they keep patching this massive wound , it will be a decade of futility

Bingo , add Plekanec and Markov and we probably pissed away at least 5 Suzuki deals

Rebuild would of been on third base right now

It may not of worked out to make us contenders but we wouldn’t be in this hot mess we are now.

Retaining aging vets is fine if you are contenders , win it all then deal with the cap hell later

Team is in the worst possible situation right now

Aging vets on shit contracts , a supporting cast that either stinks or offers nothing in 2 years

Maybe 4-5 players that have some role beyond 3 years and no immediate help on the horizon

I would rather be Zona right now ( with our resources )with a clean slate and most of their roster on expiring contracts

This is going to be a painful ugly rebuild , buckle up .

Petry can be moved. I think Gallagher could be the best paid 4th liner in the league for a few years, and then bought out. I think Price will be traded, but the Habs are eating cap space.

It’s gonna be a long, ugly ride with dead cap space.

They can all be moved retaining 10 mil in cap space which won’t affect us at all during this rebuild

The problem is your not netting what what you could of got if they were traded 2 years before their contracts expired

You have to take back salary , most likely a vet who will be serviceable but your not getting that Suzuki A level prospect
we desperately need.

You might squeeze a low first or B level prospect

We nailed the Max deal , that’s what we should of did for all of them

Serviceable vets to buy time on shorter deals and net that stud kid , he develops in a few years and is locked up and part of our core .

Back