• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I love The Athletic, I'm mainly there for the Sara Civian articles and since she apparently is no longer the 'Canes beat writer, I tried to cancel the $75 charge for another year. However, after clicking on the Cancel link in my account, they gave me a sweet retainer offer of only $20 for the next year. So, there I am, still a subscriber to the Athletic.

giphy.webp

Word on the street has it that her future husband is now in Arizona and she went as well. Maybe? Perchance? No more Abby Labar either. Apparently her and Ian Cole got a li'l too close this past season and broke team rules. Maybe? Both are what I've heard from people not named Sara Civian, Abby Labar, or Ian Cole, so take those as the rumors that they are.

EDITED TO ADD:
The Athletic still has Sara listed as their Hurricanes beat writer. So maybe she's just taking a break and will be back with the start of the season? I sure hope so.
She tweeted a few days ago that her boyfriend was still playing in the Federal League but they don’t have a team in Arizona. IIRC, he played for the Carolina Thunderbirds but was traded before the season ended.

She tweeted a few days ago that her boyfriend was still playing in the Federal League but they don’t have a team in Arizona. IIRC, he played for the Carolina Thunderbirds but was traded before the season ended.
Last I heard from Civ on Twitter is that the boyfriend is playing for a new Detroit entry in the Federal league. Condolences to her if she decided to pack up from our fine area for Motown. I recently flew up to Detroit and that area seems to continue to be on a downward spiral if that’s possible…

Last I heard from Civ on Twitter is that the boyfriend is playing for a new Detroit entry in the Federal league. Condolences to her if she decided to pack up from our fine area for Motown. I recently flew up to Detroit and that area seems to continue to be on a downward spiral if that’s possible…
It’s coming back in a haze. He was picked in the expansion draft, wasn’t he?

It’s coming back in a haze. He was picked in the expansion draft, wasn’t he?
Yeah, I think so. I remember being a little surprised that a 4th tier minor league had an expansion draft more than anything. I mean, we're talking about a level of hockey where well over half of the roster is filled by open tryouts every year.

I'll have to remember the Athletic trick (I'm cheap) but i do like their coverage of Crystal Palace / EPL in addition to the Canes so it's worth $20-40 bucks a year for me.

I'll have to remember the Athletic trick (I'm cheap) but i do like their coverage of Crystal Palace / EPL in addition to the Canes so it's worth $20-40 bucks a year for me.
Yeah, if anyone follows the USMNT in soccer, The Athletic has what I consider the best staff of writers covering international soccer in the US. VERY little of the usual hyped up crap you get from seemingly every other outlet, with a lot of stats based analysis. With a World Cup coming up, it's a good place to fill in the gaps if anyone is interested in following along.

Yeah, if anyone follows the USMNT in soccer, The Athletic has what I consider the best staff of writers covering international soccer in the US. VERY little of the usual hyped up crap you get from seemingly every other outlet, with a lot of stats based analysis. With a World Cup coming up, it's a good place to fill in the gaps if anyone is interested in following along.
I’m very happy with their Yankees and Giants coverage too. And the soccer coverage is really top notch, both from a club National team perspective. And not just the US National team, they cover all of it.

I wish they would get a few cricket writers. There are some really great ones out there, too, but they can be hard to find what with them being in India and other far-flung locales

I wish they would get a few cricket writers. There are some really great ones out there, too, but they can be hard to find what with them being in India and other far-flung locales
I assume you also watch Cricket? Where are you getting the feeds? Love the game, but only watch what's on YouTube.

And the soccer coverage is really top notch, both from a club National team perspective. And not just the US National team, they cover all of it.
Oh, yeah ... I'm just mentioning that because of the World Cup. It's tough for casual fans in the US who only drop in for big events when they roll over to Fox or ESPN only to find Taylor Twellman or Sebastian Salazar (not picking on those two specifically. They were the first names that came to mind) banging on at high volume about whatever controversy stoking nonsense they're on about this week. The Athletic's guys are much more matter of fact and mature ... without being boring.

Problem #1: I'm old and therefore not interested in finding new music/bands. I have heard enough music in my life to not need to seek new bands. However, every once in a while I am accidentally hipped to something new that is intriguing to me. The Chats (Australian hardcore) is one of them, but today's stumbling into a new-to-me band is Holy Fawn. Think shoegaze meets black metal; metalgaze is what the hep cats call it I guess. Well, turns out that they are playing the Cradle tonight. The problem is, I'm still bound to the first clause in the above stated Problem #1. I'm too old to stand on a concrete floor for hours that late at night. Sure, the opening band is slated to start at 8:00 PM, but that makes it too late o' clock before Holy Fawn finally ambles up on the stage. Maybe I'll get lucky and some young person will record the event on their high quality phone camera and share it on Youtube.

Stopped in for a look at the Invisalign Arena today in Morrisville and quite a few of the Canes getting a good hard skate in under Brindy. Freddy, Raanta and Aho were all in the house breaking a pretty good sweat. Really sharp looking practice rink for the Canes on one side and a public use rink on the other with a spacious lobby and restaurant in the main concourse.

Problem #1: I'm old and therefore not interested in finding new music/bands. I have heard enough music in my life to not need to seek new bands. However, every once in a while I am accidentally hipped to something new that is intriguing to me. The Chats (Australian hardcore) is one of them, but today's stumbling into a new-to-me band is Holy Fawn. Think shoegaze meets black metal; metalgaze is what the hep cats call it I guess. Well, turns out that they are playing the Cradle tonight. The problem is, I'm still bound to the first clause in the above stated Problem #1. I'm too old to stand on a concrete floor for hours that late at night. Sure, the opening band is slated to start at 8:00 PM, but that makes it too late o' clock before Holy Fawn finally ambles up on the stage. Maybe I'll get lucky and some young person will record the event on their high quality phone camera and share it on Youtube.
I still like finding new stuff, but I'm with you on the club thing. I'm well past shifting out to clubs at all hours to stand around until Midnight putting up with crappy facilities with crappier sound systems. I'm not really a festival guy, but the older I get the more than makes sense.

My back still hurts from COC/BLS at the Ritz in the Before Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back