• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our friend Polarbare retweeted this gem from 3 years ago.

By all accounts he liked it here and I believe the N&O or someone locally did nice interview with him around the time he was just opening his new bar and restaurant back home in Carp, Ontario. I think he was a little sour that he was traded and I actually felt like he played pretty well here in his abbreviated stay. Slow yes, the injury bug has taken it's toll, maybe a seventh defenseman option at the league minimum if he seems like a better fit than Lagesson?

I was nicer on Twitter than I shoulda been, but I guess he doesn't want to work at Wendy's...but hey, if can make the team great, if not, no big loss; we have an overabundance of 5/6/7 guys.

So...how does a PTO contract work? It's just a contract to cover the player try out sessions, right? If he's not deemed good enough for the team, Rod cuts him, and he's gone with only the money that he's earned during the try out. Right? People are making it sound like he's a permanent fixture on the team already. Or am I misunderstanding what a PTO contract is?

So...how does a PTO contract work? It's just a contract to cover the player try out sessions, right? If he's not deemed good enough for the team, Rod cuts him, and he's gone with only the money that he's earned during the try out. Right? People are making it sound like he's a permanent fixture on the team already. Or am I misunderstanding what a PTO contract is?
Yeah, it's basically a small payment schedule and a set of player contract terms that only covers camp and pre season games ... like the club being responsible for sports medical care during the term of the PTO. There's no obligation on either side beyond that. Cut him on day one of camp and you pay the same as if you cut him the night before final rosters are posted. In order to be on the active roster, you have to be on a standard player contract, and a PTO doesn't qualify. So if they want to keep de Haan or Stepan, they'd have to negotiate a permanent deal.

And I'm 100% ignoring whatever BS happened when he left here in 2019. He obviously got the hump for some reason and probably said some crap he shouldn't have said. It was unprofessional and childish and the club did well not to respond even when he doubled down on it later. That was a long time ago. I'm VASTLY more concerned with his decline as a player since then. Hopefully for him it was just the combination of injuries and the hideous situation on and off the ice in Chicago.

They get a chance to come in and earn a contract, to show teams they still have some skill. I think their “room and board” are covered, but that’s it.

They get a chance to come in and earn a contract, to show teams they still have some skill. I think their “room and board” are covered, but that’s it.
And medical, but otherwise yes. IIRC in the old CBA guys on a PTO got a flat fee of like $2500 or something. CM2 would have to let us know what the current deal is.

Canes broadcast info for the season has been released...Tripp is back and Abby's replacement has been named...

Hanna Yates comes from the St Louis market. I'm vaguely aware of her from some Cardinals standups she's done. Pleasant enough presence and she's done some Blues-related stuff for a couple of years now apparently. Fine. Yet another cheap young female in the line of many in the past. Some good, some bad, some unmemorable. Hopefully her stay will be less eventful than her predecessor's

Hanna Yates comes from the St Louis market. I'm vaguely aware of her from some Cardinals standups she's done. Pleasant enough presence and she's done some Blues-related stuff for a couple of years now apparently. Fine. Yet another cheap young female in the line of many in the past. Some good, some bad, some unmemorable. Hopefully her stay will be less eventful than her predecessor's

alright then

DF283D41-5DA0-4D8C-8F54-BD70D79C1448.jpeg

And medical, but otherwise yes. IIRC in the old CBA guys on a PTO got a flat fee of like $2500 or something. CM2 would have to let us know what the current deal is.
PTOs were amended in the MOU that was signed as an extension of the CBA (Attachment I)

I'm going to swipe this from the MOU pdf that you can find on the NHLPA website (nhlpa.com):

NHL TRAINING CAMP – PRO TRY-OUT AGREEMENT
Date: ________________________
MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
BETWEEN: ______________________________
hereinafter called the “Player”
---AND---
In consideration of the agreement by the Club to pay the reasonable round-trip travel expenses from his Address below (or whatever location the Player shall designate by notice in writing to the Club), to the Club’s Training Camp (or whatever location the Club shall designate by notice in writing to the Player), as well as accommodations, per diem and meals, the Player agrees to present himself, when called upon to do so, at any location designated by the Club, for the purposes of demonstrating his ability and qualifications as a hockey player.
The Club shall be responsible for the medical and dental costs associated with the treatment of any hockey-related injury that occurred during the term of this agreement while with the Club, which had been reported to the Club and is, or should have been, documented in the Player's medical files. The Club shall also provide an insurance benefit in the amount of $50,000 for permanent total disability arising out of any such hockey-related injury (subject to policy terms, conditions and exclusions).
This agreement shall terminate on the day before the commencement of the NHL Regular Season unless terminated earlier upon the Player entering into an SPC with the Club or a contract with any other professional hockey team. This agreement may also be terminated by the Club by providing written notice to the Player of its intention to terminate same.
This agreement shall not confer on the Club property or Reserve List rights of any kind. For clarity, the Player may sign a contract with any professional hockey team other than the Club at any time prior to the expiration of this agreement without the Club’s consent.

So its basically room and board and travel and covering medical/dental for any hockey related injury that may occur. No specific dollar amounts.

I couldn't find an actual PTO definition in the 2013 CBA. They had the standard form for emergency goalie PTOs, but nothing formal for players prior to the season.

Old friend Scott Darling has a new career…as a stand-up comedian. When you think about it, that’s appropriate for a guy who was a joke of a goalie. He apparently played in Raleigh recently.

Yeah ... I talked to my son this afternoon and mentioned that article, and he not so promptly told me that he's worked with Darling a couple of times opening for Ian Bagg. My son is based out of Asheville but opens for regional touring comics around the southeast as well. He said Darling was fairly good for somebody with so little stage experience.

Old friend Scott Darling has a new career…as a stand-up comedian. When you think about it, that’s appropriate for a guy who was a joke of a goalie. He apparently played in Raleigh recently.

He was an unmitigated disaster as a goalie, but I always felt sorry for him. He overcame a lot of stuff in his life and I wish him nothing but the best.

He was an unmitigated disaster as a goalie, but I always felt sorry for him. He overcame a lot of stuff in his life and I wish him nothing but the best.
Well, knowing fair number of working comics through my son, I can say that "unmitigated disaster" is a resume enhancer in the standup biz. If you're basic and fairly normal, you've got to work twice as hard in that line of work.

Everyone ready for Stadium Series STM pre-sale tomorrow? The lack of info from Edwards Mill at this point is still laughable.. "Starting at $95, max of 8 tickets per transaction" is all we get until hours (minutes) before the on-sale time.

Funny that stubhub, ticketcity, seatgeek, etc are already full of scalped tickets (how?) from $300 (nosebleed corners) to $1200

Another article at The Athletic about the biggest questions each team has heading into camp. For the Canes, it’s whether KK can fill the 2C spot. Also need more from Necas.

This one was written by Shayna Goldman, who is the Devils writer. Camp is coming soon and we don’t have a permanent writer yet.

Everyone ready for Stadium Series STM pre-sale tomorrow? The lack of info from Edwards Mill at this point is still laughable.. "Starting at $95, max of 8 tickets per transaction" is all we get until hours (minutes) before the on-sale time.

Funny that stubhub, ticketcity, seatgeek, etc are already full of scalped tickets (how?) from $300 (nosebleed corners) to $1200
Dynamic pricing in place as well for this game, so I guess they will see how the first wave of sales go today and then adjust pricing based on what's left and demand. It's sounding like expect to pay in or around $225 to $300 per ticket for a decent lower bowl seat today, good luck to everyone as they secure their 8 tickets!

Less than an hour until the sales window opens and I don't have the email with the link to the sales site yet. Honestly? This whole thing has been amateur hour right from the get-go. We're buying tickets to a sporting event, not the coronation. I know full bloody well that Ticketmaster (the vendor actually handling sales) uses pre-sale codes yet for some reason we're treating this game different than stadium concerts with WAY more demand. Why is the ticket office so stubbornly and profoundly dumb?

Last edited:
30 minutes before the sale and still nothing.... it's laughable at this point we still have no clue how much the various sections might run.... it's like a mass start of a 10K run and we're all lined up at the starting line waiting for the gun, and we have no idea what the course looks like, we just have to look for arrows on street posts as we go.

... is the email I just sent to my rep. Not that it'll make a lick of difference, but clicking 'Send' was therapeutic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back