• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 on hulu+ so not real national broadcasts but the mix seems odd.
The mix for the Canes or in general? Because that list doesn't distinguish real national games from the Hulu nonsense, it's hard to tell who's doing what. Otherwise it looks like some of the more competitive or entertaining non-traditional market teams have gotten a few more slots than normal.

13 Flyer games...I guess everyone loves to watch a train wreck!!!
Philly is the 2nd or 3rd most reliable television market in the league. Like it or not, the networks and advertisers need the eyeballs even if the Flyers suck. Same reason Detroit has as many games as the defending champs. People in Detroit tune in and watch and their base is pretty well distributed in other markets. At least there's some effort evident to include teams like Carolina and Anaheim even if the aren't the biggest market draws. Florida is getting screwed but nobody watches their games. That's where I'd like to see the league push the broadcast partners to air games where a deserving and interesting team like Florida plays a reliable TV market team like Philly. The league has been slack in the past in passively letting their broadcast partners steer the schedule.

Talked with PJ yesterday. If this has been mentioned I apologize but I hadn’t seen it elsewhere. Tickets for the outdoor game will range from $95 to $295 (+ fees). There will be some dynamic pricing but it should not be noticeable if you buy on the first day. So, no $5000 Springsteen problem if you are diligent. They hope to put out a seating chart with price levels in advance of the STM presale but don’t count on it. You’ll be able to see pricing levels when you log in for the presale. The email with the presale code will go out close to the on sale time. If you don’t get it until 5 minutes afterward don’t freak out. That’ll just mean that nobody has gotten it.

So how does one best tell what seats will be 'desirable' for an outdoor hockey game at Carter Finley? Which side is better? How low is too low to be able to see well?

I know a few people here made some suggestions a long time ago when the game was announced. Right now I just have no idea what a good seat would be if I actually want to see the ice, and I suspect price points are not necessarily going to help me in that regard.

Thoughts?

Chris Jovino who always shoots me straight on ticketing stuff says the league is in full control of a lot of this stuff for this specific game more than the Canes...but the $95 price point is really going to be the nose bleeds and everything else after that is really going to come down to the diehard State fans like JB and others that know that stadium like the back of their hand. I dont trust the NHL to determine based on their price points what are better seats and viewing areas in relation to that venue, it's really going to be about targeting sections that appeal to each fan with an emphasis on not being too damn low where your view may be obstructed. When I attended the 2014 Winter Classic game in Ann Arbor at the Big House we had seats about 38 rows up from the field and they were fine, there was no way you wanted seats in most sections that were too low for a layout like that even if some of those ticket prices were reflective of a higher quality seat...it was very misleading based on pricing if you just were looking at it from a seating chart.

So how does one best tell what seats will be 'desirable' for an outdoor hockey game at Carter Finley? Which side is better? How low is too low to be able to see well?

I know a few people here made some suggestions a long time ago when the game was announced. Right now I just have no idea what a good seat would be if I actually want to see the ice, and I suspect price points are not necessarily going to help me in that regard.

Thoughts?
OK ... local knowledge time.

East and West sides don't really matter at night, so that's one big issue solved. We sit in row CC in the relative center of Carter Finley (like 45 yard line, give or take) and I can tell you that you don't want to be much lower than that. The Carter's lower bowl was built in the 60s and the sloping is ... not modern. Anything in the single letter range is getting to the point where the benchwarmers block some of your view, so I'd say for hockey I'd shoot for that same range ... like AA to LL or so would be a good place to have a nice view of the playing surface in the lower bowl if you're in the center seating areas. I wouldn't recommend the end zones as you'll feel like you're on Mars. Upper deck? It's steeper so less of an issue there. Remember that the luxury box structure is on the west side so that upper deck gets a bit cozy ... which might help with the wind if there is any. I prefer the west side. The amenities are better all around, although the parking can be a bit tricky.

I'd assume the "center ice" sections would be priced at a premium, but in a football field environment I'm not sure you want to go anywhere else. So maybe go up instead of around if that helps on pricing.

Calvin de Haan, come on down!

Canes signed him to a PTO. With the potential shortcoming on the left side, I’m not really surprised.

Interesting. I'm surprised it's THAT left sided D but not that they signed one to a PTO. Cal de Haan was about as salty as they come when he left and did a pretty good job of burning his bridges. Apparently not a complete job though. Welcome back?

By the way, he SUCKED in Chicago last season. Thus the PTO

Interesting. I'm surprised it's THAT left sided D but not that they signed one to a PTO. Cal de Haan was about as salty as they come when he left and did a pretty good job of burning his bridges. Apparently not a complete job though. Welcome back?

By the way, he SUCKED in Chicago last season. Thus the PTO
Canucks signed Danny DeKeyser to a PTO. The list of UFA dmen is underwhelming. Subban and Stralman are still out there, but not much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back