• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Hurricanes Off Season Thread 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I don't think anybody is relying on Kase for offense. He's a support player offensively, at best. Sort of a Czech version of Fast. And for as much as people talk about replacing Nino's offense, he was a persistent .65 point a game player once he rode out that insane heater he was on when Carolina first got him in 2019. That's not nothing, clearly ... but not exactly irreplaceable either.

Last edited:
KK last year was 7th on the team in P/60 and Necas was 9th (despite being a no-show for half the season). It's not like these guys haven't shown their capable. KK was 7th with Martinook and Lorentz on his wings getting 4th line minutes, he should be able to translate that to the 2nd line but it'll be some adjustment early. Necas had a great start and then never got right after that December injury.

The Canes don't need to come out and not lose in October again, they need to in the top half of the east and get into the playoffs healthy and go from there. Scoring will be down but we had room to spare for much of the season. Not saying those guys are a lock but I'm not in panic mode like some people I've seen.

Edited - For funsies, Pots came up from Chicago and had an astounding 5.9 p/60.

P-Bare understands the assignment. I'm not sure many other fans do, though. There was an inordinate amount of doom and gloom in the fan base last summer when they replaced Dougie with DeAngelo and otherwise caused by the hockey media's misguided lack of faith in the goaltending changes. I think this off season went on a bit of a roller coaster ride before ending up in the same ditch. Adding Burns and Pacioretty got people maybe a little too pumped, and then losing Patches until February got people perhaps a little too deflated. I'm pretty sure the average between the two was probably the reality of the situation. And the whole question of whether they got better or not is now the question of whether or not they can bubble along in the playoff picture until the All Star break when Patches adds some pop. And that question is now and was always ... can Kotkaniemi and Necas produce under the pressure. And sure, why not is as good an answer to that question as no ... with as much evidence to back it up. The real deal is whether or not you have any confidence in the roster building decisions.

Necas, and as of last year KK, have been the future. The future is now. If they live up to it we’re fine. If not this season might be tough. But it’s time to know if they can do it or if not come up with another plan.

We should be fine with the current roster to be in the hunt at worst through mid season. Then you can make deadline moves if needed and get Patch back.
And. If Necas and KK are worth keeping around they need to see this opportunity and seize it and own it. If they don’t then they’re not the answer with our current core. We need quality depth of scoring across 3 line for our model to work because our top line isn’t full of net fillers.

P-Bare understands the assignment
After all these years JeffBear giving the kudos out still :) gives me warm fuzzies.

then losing Patches until February got people perhaps a little too deflated.

I was surprised how early Patches got hurt, but he was out on IR like 4 times last year. I just naturally assumed we'd get 41ish games out of him, and even if he's out until March it's not that far below what I assumed might be the case. Just be well by May and we're GTG.

I was surprised how early Patches got hurt, but he was out on IR like 4 times last year. I just naturally assumed we'd get 41ish games out of him, and even if he's out until March it's not that far below what I assumed might be the case. Just be well by May and we're GTG.
Yeah, in a way they ripped off the band early. Based on the last couple of years I was expecting Pacioretty to play maybe half the season before he got hurt. Once these well above 30 guys start on that cycle, it generally continues. MAYBE if the Canes have been good boys, this will be it for Patches and he can play out the year without further incident once he comes back.

You aren't wrong to think we a are putting a lot of faith in 2 youngsters that haven't consistently delivered much of anything. But this is the squad I expect we are going forward with to open the season. I don't think they will struggle as much as you are worried they will.
My take didn't survive 3 days.

My take didn't survive 3 days.
Yeah, I think your take still stands. They're counting on Stasny being his late career self, not some sort of Top 6 savior. And it's hard to imagine he's gonna maintain that 14.something percent shooting percentage he had last year. There's still plenty being asked of both Kotkaniemi and Necas. There's just better options behind them should they spit the bit.

Yeah ... that was pretty obvious. I'm just happy that we dodged the red shorts, black pants, black helmets ridiculousness.

So do the Red jerseys completely die forever or do those become our 3rd jerseys? If the Red jerseys die, when exactly do the markdowns start at the Eye? (edit, that article indicates the Red jersey's die and will not be worn this coming season).

So do the Red jerseys completely die forever or do those become our 3rd jerseys? If the Red jerseys die, when exactly do the markdowns start at the Eye? (edit, that article indicates the Red jersey's die and will not be worn this coming season).
So I now have a Vasicek and a Cole collectible.

I just read that the Canes were one of 3-4 serious teams in the final running for Kadri. I know it’s kind of their m.o. of late, but I’m thinking they are still looking for that last BIG piece prior to the season opener. I know they have no cap space, but talking to Kadri was a 7 million dollar chat. I’d love to see that one big last move, cap space or no cap space. Patrick Kane…… one can dream.

That is the fun part about this org under Dundon, I don't believe we ever really stop thinking about ways to make this team better. I don't think really any move at this point would be all that stunning.

That is the fun part about this org under Dundon, I don't believe we ever really stop thinking about ways to make this team better. I don't think really any move at this point would be all that stunning.
Make the team better while increasing the revenue stream. But it all starts with winning. Driving fans to the arena makes the other stuff an easier sell.

I would love to be the fly on the wall in Dandy Don’s office when Dundon rings his phone to discuss all the different ways he wants to skin the cat to make a big move or acquire another new shiny toy for his team!

I'd imagine we have a transition year and then introduce a new alternate jersey for 2023-24. Remember, they'll have some sort of special jersey for the outdoor game. It's pretty common for those to end up as a team's alternate the following season ... depending how throw-backy they are. Carolina can't really do throw-backs without getting in Whaler territory that they have already trod. So whatever they end up with for the Stadium Series game should be suitable as a 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back