• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Jeff Petry & Ryan Poehling to Pittsburgh for Michael Matheson & 2023 4th

They are not doing a long term rebuild, Gorton will execute the same game plan as he did w NYR. It’s becoming more obvious by the day.

Next up Trouba equivalent…PLD.

Good luck Hugo

Waiting for a 2D , Norris winner and a top 10 player in the game to all beg to come to Montreal at once

I think Hughes and Gorton likely got the best deal there was to be had based on what they know about the players involved in the realities of the NHL trade market from the inside. I really like going to airshows. Would it be amazing if we could just take a jet jump in it with it around the way we do a car?

If Petry was a pending UFA sure

He would of waived his MTC to get the hell out of Montreal , when better deals came on from multiple teams

Matheson is where Petry was when acquired in 2015… ironically roughly same age as well.

FWIW - Hughes also used to represent Matheson.

I guess it’s not the high draft people most were hoping for, but at least it’s not a cap dump. We’re getting a legitimate NHL player for the next few years who allows us to not rush the D prospects, while being young enough (like Edmundson) to be useful in a couple of years when we hopefully are good again. Too bad Poehling is just a throw in at this point, I had higher hopes after watching him score 4 goals live in that game against the Laffs.

Everyone seems happy to offer rem pitlick a new contract at 25. When he seems to have figured out what he is as a player. But everyone happy to give up on their own 23year old project. I predict Poehling is a better hockey player than pitlick in 2 years.
At most he'll become a good 3rd line C. Wish we had kept him too but whatever, he doesn't have any offense in him.

Considering the situation, the return is fine. Matheson is younger, cheaper and will be a lot easier to trade in a few years. As for Poehling, he is no trending on the right side. I am now not sure he will ever be a regular NHLer. So we save $2M in cap space and also remove a contract.

we also immediately resign Rem Petlick who did very well for us last year. For sure, Hugues is not done, he need to move others or else, we can sign Dach.

Market for Petry was not great, a lot of media talking heads seem to have arrived at that consensus. I guess. It might have improved nearer to trade deadline, but I guess the situation was untenable.

Poehling is irrelevant. Maybe he secures a gig in Pittsburgh, but he wasn’t in Montreal.

View attachment 13011

This shows how horrible our first round drafting has been for a long time.
How uncommon is that though? I was looking at that list of Montreal 1st rounders and thinking about what the same Canes list would look like and its:

2022 - No first round pick (KK offer sheet)
2021 - No first round pick (traded down)
2020 - 13 overall Seth Jarvis
2019 - 28 overall Ryan Suzuki
2018 - 2nd overall Andrei Svechnikov
2017 - 12th overall Martin Necas
2016 - 13th overall Jake Bean
2016 - 21st overall Julien Gauthier
2015 - 5th overall Noah Hanifin
2014 - 7th overall Haydn Fleury
2013 -5th overall Elias Lindholm
2012 - No Pick (Jordan Staal trade)
2011 - 12th overall Ryan Murphy
2010 - 7th overall Jeff Skinner
2009 - 27th overall Philippe Paradis
2008 - 14th overall Zach Boychuk
2007 - 11th overall Brandon Sutter
2006 - No first round pick (Doug Weight trade)
2005 - 3rd overall Jack Johnson

So yeah, that list of Montreal 1st rounders might look ugly, but maybe not as terrible with some context?

Back