• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Jeff Petry & Ryan Poehling to Pittsburgh for Michael Matheson & 2023 4th

Because there isn't a spot for him and it hasn't worked out for him.
Yeah Poehling was another bad pick, in the Louis Leblanc tradition.

Just checking my notes to see who I preferred when it was our turn to pick at the time. Eeli Tolvannen it was. Whatever...

Pittsburgh does seem to do well with recycled guys on the third/fourth lines where they have to go cheap though...a fair bit of pride playing there I guess. Poehling may add some value there in that sort of role, as Evan Rodriguez did.

Same problem with Matheson who's going to be exposed with top pairing minutes. That's one ugly defense group we have now, with some wonky goaltending.
I absolutely love it and will watch it for the train wreck possibilities nightly.

I'm really hoping this means they'll let the kids play on D and play a high tempo offensive D. "Best defense is a good offense " puck possession game.

Oh to dream 🤔😍

Same problem with Matheson who's going to be exposed with top pairing minutes. That's one ugly defense group we have now, with some wonky goaltending.
Right now... but the hope is that he's still going to be a good 2nd pairing guy in a couple years when we hopefully have a couple of legit top pairing ahead of him.

Our D is a mess short term — lost Petry and Romamov plus coach Richardson, gained Matheson.

Edmundson back healthy will help narrow the gap.

Should be good for a top 7 pick next year.

Our D is a mess short term — lost Petry and Romamov plus coach Richardson, gained Matheson.

Yup and if its Jake/Monty/Primo in goal more ping pong balls for the big 3

We absolutely need 1 more solid draft to set a few more foundation pieces in place

The top-3 picks will help greatly, but to become a powerhouse, we need to get hits on our 2nd/3rd/4th round picks. If we don't, we'll be like Deadmonton. McDavid, Leon, and a bunch of "whatever" players.

The top-3 picks will help greatly, but to become a powerhouse, we need to get hits on our 2nd/3rd/4th round picks. If we don't, we'll be like Deadmonton. McDavid, Leon, and a bunch of "whatever" players.

I could live with that.

Avs haven’t hit on any non top-10 picks (Newhook might)

MacKinnon - 1OA
Landeskog - 2OA
Makar - 4OA
Byram - 4OA
Rantanen - 10OA

complemented w trades & UFAs

Last edited:
Avs haven’t hit on any non top-10 picks

MacKinnon - 1OA
Landeskog - 2OA
Makar - 4OA
Rantanen - 10OA

complemented w trades & UFAs
Byram. Newhook.

Avs aren't a powerhouse either. They might be in a little bit, but they aren't just yet. When I mean powerhouse, I mean teams from the last 15 years such as Chicago / Los Angeles / Pittsburgh / Tampa Bay. Made multiple finals and were legitimate contenders for a long period of time.

With the exception of LA, they got their core mostly from lottery picks and they all had late round picks that hit.

They also traded for good players for pennies on the dollar, signed good players (some cap shenanigans, but it was legal).

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but the draft

Byram. Newhook.

Avs aren't a powerhouse either. They might be in a little bit, but they aren't just yet. When I mean powerhouse, I mean teams from the last 15 years such as Chicago / Los Angeles / Pittsburgh / Tampa Bay. Made multiple finals and were legitimate contenders for a long period of time.

With the exception of LA, they got their core mostly from lottery picks and they all had late round picks that hit.

They also traded for good players for pennies on the dollar, signed good players (some cap shenanigans, but it was legal).

The key is get your contending core in place and build around the edges

Nate-Landeskog-Makar-Rantenen- Toews ( assuming resigned ) the rest is a juggling act every year

Byram. Newhook.

That’s the key…

Edm hasn’t been able to complement McDavid & Draisaitl via good trades or UFA signings. Holland may be on the verge of changing the course on both ends w Hyman signing & Kane trade as starters

That’s the key…

Edm hasn’t been able to complement McDavid & Draisaitl via good trades or UFA signings. Holland may be on the verge of changing the course on both ends w Hyman signing & Kane trade as starters

Oils simply couldnt draft for 5 years other than hitting on Leon

Its getting better the last 3 years with Holloway and others .

You need that 3 year ELC window

Speaking of, they haven't named a replacement yet have they?

I'm liking the odds with Farrell and Hutson

Back