• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

It could be reverse Karma: KK scores 30+ goals, Carolina makes playoffs and Habs finish 9th missing the playoffs but not low enough to get a top 3 pick.

My opinion on this team is rather straightforward.

I don't have much belief in it.

Whether we kept Kotkaniemi or not, this is a fringe playoff team at best. While he was technically the second best center on this team, he's not a second line center. The financial impact re-signing him would have had over the long haul (cue the usual few that don't care about the long haul) would have been potentially disastrous. No matter how you cut it, $6.1M for a guy who can't score, isn't a player maker, doesn't play well defensively and doesn't win many puck battles isn't a recipe for success, and neither are all of his next contracts after that.

I do expect them to overpay for a center, and Dvorak's name seems like the likely candidate. He'll have a greater impact than Kotkaniemi, but a center line of Suzuki-Dvorak-Evans-Poehling? Sorry, that ain't scaring nobody.

I've been on the "tear it down" bandwagon for a long time now, but the contracts we've given out make that option nearly impossible. So the quest for 8th in the East is on!

KK is better than people here give him credit for, this was a loss.

That’s the issue. He has all the tools and may put them together in Carolina. There was a lot of negative energy in MTL, so it was probably best to cut ties.

The Habs bottled his development. This is the consequence.

That’s the issue. He has all the tools and may put them together in Carolina. There was a lot of negative energy in MTL, so it was probably best to cut ties.

The Habs bottled his development. This is the consequence.
He does? What tools exactly?

That’s where I get stuck:

- skating - subpar
- strength - subpar (should grown into frame)
- offensive IQ - avg
- faceoffs - subpar
- shooting - avg/above avg

I see absolutely zero WOW factor in any aspect of his game

Habs definitely screwed his development - Gord Miller was right on he should’ve never been in the NHL at 18, or 19..maybe even 20

- skating - subpar
- offensive IQ - avg
- faceoffs - subpar

Agreed. A bust when you factor that we « reached » to draft him

Agreed. A bust when you factor that we « reached » to draft him
As I posted previously IMO time will show 2018 was a weak top-5 draft class like 2012 except for Svechnikov

Hughes is a glorified rover w zero DZone IQ
BT is a glorified Josh Anderson
Zadina who knows if he’ll even be an NHLer
Dahlin who knows - even though Hedman struggled early in his career he showed flashes of brilliance which Rasmus doesn’t even do

Take for what its worth, but I am listening to Marinaro on TSN 690 and he was saying that the team has been trying to trade KK this offseason. If true, the Habs have certainly soured on him. If this was Suzuki signed to an offsheet, it would have been matched in two seconds.

On a different note, Marinaro is also going on about the Habs have made Poehling available

- skating - subpar
- offensive IQ - avg
- faceoffs - subpar

Habs definitely screwed his development - Gord Miller was right on he should’ve never been in the NHL at 18, or 19..maybe even 20

He has good IQ, decent hands and a very projectable frame. I think it's all about filling up that frame and gaining the strength to win puck battles and protect the puck and gain confidence. But I always saw him toping at a 50ish 2-way center.

Back