• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

It's actually a huge difference.
It's really not.

KK is better than Evans, who has no business on the second line. But KK has no business on the second liner either.

Overall, on the team, it's a loss, but not a big one.

And KK's salary makes this a very easy decision to pass up on. Best of luck to him in Carolina.

If he doesn't get qualified, possible.
CBA 12.3.a.i Club elected Salary arbitration. Teams can elect to take RFAs to arbitration to set a 1 year salary rather than making a QO. The arbitrator can award a contract no lower than 85% of their prior season's salary and bonuses. Quick napkin math has that being around $5.185 million. Its not correct that this contract means the Canes (or the Habs if they match) MUST make a QO to KK at $6.1 million going forward.

CBA 12.3.a.i Club elected Salary arbitration. Teams can elect to take RFAs to arbitration to set a 1 year salary rather than making a QO. The arbitrator can award a contract no lower than 85% of their prior season's salary and bonuses. Quick napkin math has that being around $5.185 million. Its not correct that this contract means the Canes (or the Habs if they match) MUST make a QO to KK at $6.1 million going forward.
If they even want to pay him $5.185m

You have to look further. It's not just the one year deal, it's every subsequent contract will be $6M+ unless we let him walk for nothing.

It's a poison pill.
That's not necessarily the case. They know what this is about. A match and extension to even it out is likely.

That's not necessarily the case. They know what this is about. A match and extension to even it out is likely.
Are you comfortable giving $ and term to a guy who hasn't shown he's more than a third line center without much talent to score goals at any level of hockey? And not even a really good one either?

Especially because another team is forcing our hand?

Thanks, but no thanks.

If he was worth that, we'd figure out a way to keep him.

If someone offer sheets Vancouver and overpays Pettersson, they'll figure out a way to keep him.

Carolina offersheeted Kotkaniemi literally 3x more than what I would have given him at most. He's a $2M player right now.

Unless MB has another second line center in tow by the matching deadline, he will match the offer, regardless of any potential negative long term implications and irrespective of KK’s actual value. It’s as simple as that. He has one year left on his contract, he’s not worried about 2 or 3 years from now.

Last edited:
It’s only a year deal. Of course we’ll match.
It is a technically a year but with his rfa status it not only a year.

Habs could in theory match and then lose him for nothing next year if they don't qualify him.

But I do wonder if they qualify him then take him to arbitration can the arbitrator say he is like 2m?

It is a technically a year but with his rfa status it not only a year.

Habs could in theory match and then lose him for nothing next year if they don't qualify him.

But I do wonder if they qualify him then take him to arbitration can the arbitrator say he is like 2m?
Nope. Can only go to (at lowest) 85% of his salary.

Canes may have saved MB from himself.
I don't know about that. They screwed him either way.

The decision should be easy. With or without Kotkaniemi, this team and its' centerline is bad. Build through the draft and let Carolina worry about paying him in the future.

Canes have zero upside here. Kinda funny.

Best case for them is the Habs match and they pat each other on the back.

If KK starts to develop they still have to pay him bigly for years and lose valueble trade chips.

Worst case kk is a very expensive 4th liner that stops them from adding AND they lose value trade chips.

Back