• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KK Signs Offer Sheet From Canes/Habs Don't Match

You offer enough and players that you never expected available become available.

Depending on EP`s outcome , JT Miller might be an option

For me this issue is not about retaliating or saving face

If you believe KK is going to improve you match , or you walk and hope the first is lottery

Depending on EP`s outcome , JT Miller might be an option

For me this issue is not about retaliating or saving face

If you believe KK is going to improve you match , or you walk and hope the first is lottery
Miller would be an excellent option. Highly underrated due to injury issues though.

Cap space is valuable - there's still plenty of teams that are at or near the cap, so are looking to unload salary. You can almost certainly make use of that cap space if you want, especially with a few extra picks to play with.

I mean, if you truly believe he will turn the corner and be the next Aho or MacKinnon or something, then yeah, you can live with a 6M salary for the next couple years until he breaks out. But if you don't think he will ever be worth signing to a contract that expensive, then you can't break your already thin payroll on him.

You just need him to be a decent # 2C

The kid is 21 and should of been in his first year this year

My buddy mentioned Canes might think he is a Wheeler type to improve when it didnt work with Boston

Not Wheeler upside , but a change of scenery might do him good

You just need him to be a decent # 2C

The kid is 21 and should of been in his first year this year

My buddy mentioned Canes might think he is a Wheeler type to improve when it didnt work with Boston

Not Wheeler upside , but a change of scenery might do him good
Or he could be the next Antropov, or the next Zacha and many other top picks to bust.

This is a Dundon move not a hockey ops move in Carolina. Essentially a bad hockey decision.

We had zero interest in him. When you don't even send scouts to a tournament where he's going to be playing against NHL competition? When he's going to be available at your pick? It screams, we're not interested.

What a fuck-up that was.
i am smarter than the habs though
so......

I just can't see KK elevating his game with that contract saddled on his back, maybe with the Canes as there will be less pressure, but not in Hab land.. i like the kid and see potential, but he is not worth $6.1 million

The thing that's started to happen with Kotkaniemi is the same thing as when Beaulieu was here.

Potential started becoming synonymous with excuse making.

Well, he's just 21!

Well, he's still learning!

Well, this! Well, that!

Unfortunately for Kotkaniemi, he was foolishly rushed into the NHL at 18 when he wasn't ready and he hasn't really developed very much from his game since then. Who knows what's going to happen in the future, but he's not a rookie, he's got 3 full NHL seasons under him.

Me not wanting to match Carolina's offer has nothing to do with liking or not liking him. I like Kotkaniemi. But I have to be honest about what I think the player is worth. If next off-season, a team came and gave Jake Evans a 5 year $20M offer sheet, I'd wish him the best of luck and congratulate him on his contract. I can't, under any circumstances, justify paying Jake Evans that kind of money. Similarly to Kotkaniemi, he's shown me nothing that justifies him paying him close to $6M, nor the subsequent amounts neighboring that in the following seasons.
remember when some posters were taking victory laps after his first year against those of us that wanted him to be developed away from the NHL ?

If the team feels he'll be a 6M player in 2 years, then match. Otherwise I think it will create more issues than benefits.

He is one more mediocre season away from being worth ONLY a 3rd round pick.

Maybe it's me but I just don't believe in him. In his rookie year he did some good things at 18. He hasn't been the same since. That's a problem.
yep a first and third might actually be peak value

habs normally hold on too long and get nothing
maybe this time their hand is forced at it works out quite well

I just can't see KK elevating his game with that contract saddled on his back, maybe with the Canes as there will be less pressure, but not in Hab land.. i like the kid and see potential, but he is not worth $6.1 million
I think the environment and context is fine for him in Carolina. They had the cap space and they can shelter him, and a new start will likely do him good, and he's not even throwing their whole cap structure out of whack. At worst they walk away having lost a 1st round pick and a 3rd.

Cap space is valuable - there's still plenty of teams that are at or near the cap, so are looking to unload salary. You can almost certainly make use of that cap space if you want, especially with a few extra picks to play with.

I mean, if you truly believe he will turn the corner and be the next Aho or MacKinnon or something, then yeah, you can live with a 6M salary for the next couple years until he breaks out. But if you don't think he will ever be worth signing to a contract that expensive, then you can't break your already thin payroll on him.
if he sucks the fans will eat him alive
can he handle that ?

he does remind me a lot of Eller....so......

Unfortunately they’re not the core anymore.
Suzuki
Romanov
Evans
Anderson
KK

etc became the core after last years run. It’s finally time to move out vets for younger talent. The rebuild could be quick with a slew of picks over the next couple of years in what look to be decent draft classes.

Aside from Suzuki, that's a fairly weak core

Back