• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Laval Rocket Thread

The funniest part in the US, especially in the Northeast, schools lineup to hand out lacrosse scholarships.

F*ckin lacrosse! Until I moved here didn’t know there were even minor leagues for it..
A friend of mine has a daughter who got a golf scholarship at some small college in that hotbed of the sport... North Dakota! And make no mistake, she was no child prodigy. She only started playing in her teens and wasn't even that big into the sport and showed no particular next level talent which would have indicated she was worthy of an athletic scholarship. But thanks to Title IX the school had scholarships available.

But remember we're talking about a college system that hands out full ride scholarships for cheerleading and baton twirling. It's simply another mechanism for enabling mediocre white people to access a college education and this girl was the epitome of mediocre.

I have met so many parents who are banking on getting their children a scholarship based on sports and investing countless dollars into training for sports so they could get a scholarship. We're taking that same money and investing it and savings. That way they don't have to perform they're just going to have their tuition covered.
And those scholarships come with strings attached so it's not like the kid can skip practice because he has to study for a trig midterm. The sport always comes first and if the education suffers so be it. The only thing that matters is a player's eligibility to play the next game. That's why all these shenanigans go on with proxies taking exams on behalf of the star players or phony no-show courses that only jocks are even allowed to enroll in. But if your kid isn't a star player they'll happily watch him fail and dump him the minute he's no longer eligible. And of course once that happens the scholarship is null and void and you're back to square one.

For college athletics not to be immoral the very least it should have to do is offer scholarships which allow the student to play sports exclusively for 4 years and then be able to actually use the academic portion of the scholarship after their athletic career is over. That way, the 99% of college athletes who don't parlay their athleticism into a steady income have a real education to fall back on. Sure, a lot of them will fail because they had no business being in college to begin with, but at least they'd have a chance to get the education they were promised. Even good students find it challenging to get passing grades while also playing sports and college sports is not an extra-curricular activity, it's a full-time job.

I had a buddy who was recruited by several Canadian universities back in the 80's and he wound up going to Acadia. He was rookie of the year but dropped out of school completely after just one year. He couldn't juggle the demands of school with the demands of a sport with a season that really never ends. Even in a Canadian university, where sports is small potatoes, he was expected to put basketball first. He spent more time riding on buses to road games and tournaments all over Eastern Canada than he did sitting in a classroom. And since Canadian universities don't hand out scholarships like they do in the States, he (or at least his parents) were paying the lion's share of the costs involved. But even then, he was expected to put basketball ahead of all other things, including his studies. So if priorities are that out of whack at a Canadian university where sports doesn't even matter, how much pressure is a student athlete under when they go to a school where the athletic department is the major revenue generator? It's a system designed to make money off the disposable labor of mostly minority athletes.

Rocket win 3-0, 32 saves for Primeau. Poehling had one of the goals. One assist for Caufield, he has 2 assists in 3 games since being sent down. Still can't find that scoring touch.

My concern is that he becomes another Hudson, a tweener.

Hudon was junk who was terrible defensively and was too soft to play on the bottom 6

His role was top 6 production or bust

RP is bigger and at the very least can use his size on the bottom 6 .

He should be able to chip in some goals as well .

Back