• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs' Prospect/Marlies Discussion Thread!

They do have 9 picks this year though, which will restock the system if Tre doesn’t do something stupid and fire Wes clark. Hes been pretty productive with the little they’ve had.

Of those 11 picks in the last 3 years Knies, Minten, Hildeby, Greboynkin and Cowen are 5 of them.

I imagine none of the other teams he ranked around 18th last year had prospects as good and as ready to graduate as Knies Robertson and Woll.

And while those 3 have graduated, they've added Cowan and Chadwick to help replace them, as well as seeing a bunch of guys take a big step up to nhl readiness in grebyonkin tverberg and hildeby.

Robertson 22
Tverberg 22
Hirvonen 22
Hildeby 22
Knies 21
Niemela 21
Grebenkin 20
Minten 19
Cowan 18

Future’s fine, imo. All those guys have NHL potential.

I love that 101 and I have flip flopped on Wes Clark 45,000 times in the last 6 months. I think I'm firmly in the "he good" camp now tho. Cowan seals it for me.

Robertson 22
Tverberg 22
Hirvonen 22
Hildeby 22
Knies 21
Niemela 21
Grebenkin 20
Minten 19
Cowan 18

Future’s fine, imo. All those guys have NHL potential.

Agreed, but if we didn’t have the core 5 that would look grim.

Though our public position would be that Minten-Cowan will be our best 1-2 punch down the middle since Bozy-Garbo.

The full picture is pretty important, yeah. In the context of where we are as a team and the fact that Nylander, Matthews and Marner are elite/only 27, I think it’s actually pretty damn good really.

They better keep Wes. I’m sure Dubas will try to poach

Yeah, if the Habs had a cluster of young elite talent playing in the bigs, I wouldn’t care if the farm was rated 28th or 17th.

Just want a supply of cheap support players.

And frankly, given the scarcity of NHL upper talent, there’s probably not much of a difference between 28th or 17th.

Whereas I would worry if I had the 28th best farm team in MLB

U23

Knies 21 --- Cowan 18 --- Robertson 22
Tverberg 21 --- Minten 19 --- Grebyonkin 20
Voit 20 --- Hirvonen 21 --- Ovchinnikov 21
Miller 21 --- Malinoski 19 --- Moldenhauer 19

Chadwick 18 --- Niemela 21
Kokkonen 22 --- Villeneuve 21
Fusco 20 --- Koster 22

Hildeby 22
Akhtyamov 22
Peksa 21

Is this the annual ritual where prospect lists come out, we're ranked 10 spots lower than we should be and teams ranked ahead of us have a bunch of POS prospects in their top 5-10 averaging 1ppg in the CHL at 20 yrs old or are on the 3rd line in the A at 22 but still hyped because a goal banked in off of his face at the the world juniors 4 years before?

Always one of my favourite times of year.

U23

Knies 21 --- Cowan 18 --- Robertson 22
Tverberg 21 --- Minten 19 --- Grebyonkin 20
Voit 20 --- Hirvonen 21 --- Ovchinnikov 21
Miller 21 --- Malinoski 19 --- Moldenhauer 19

Chadwick 18 --- Niemela 21
Kokkonen 22 --- Villeneuve 21
Fusco 20 --- Koster 22

Hildeby 22
Akhtyamov 22
Peksa 21
What’s the story on Chadwick?

New Year home from vacay edition:

Going to star the new year by removing Knies and Robertson. They're NHL'ers who are playing like NHL'ers.

This leaves us with a new #1 prospect and it's pretty pretty obvious

1) Cowan
2) Niemela
3) Minten
4) Hildeby

Cowan become our obvious #1. Looks like a top 6 centre prospect with the skills and production to be a #1 centre eventually. Exciting prospect. I'm going to maintain the order for the rest though, I'm not high on Minten's upside, I just don't think the offensive skills are there but he looks like one of those valuable middle 6 centres that plays 200 feet, might turn into a legit matchup gut eventually, etc. Good prospect but limited ceiling. Niemela closes off his 2023 with 17 points in 26 AHL games which is a pretty solid bounceback to his early near historic liiga form from 2 years ago. 21 yr old RHD who moves the puck very well, has a decently well rounded defensive toolkit and isn't a skill midget (likely plays in the NHL at 6'0 190+).

5) Grebyonkin
6) Ahktyamov
7) Voit

No changes here, still 3 guys with good upside but I need to see the two Russians over here, and see Voit get an actual run of AHL games to form a better opinion.

8) Steeves
9) Holmberg
10) Villeneuve
11) Chadwick
12) Tverberg
13) Moldenhauer
14) Hirvonen
15) Peksa
16) Kokkonen
17) Miettenen

Nothing really changes here other than Tverberg's encouraging AHL start jumping him into this tier and up ahead of some of the NCAA/depth AHL crowd.

18) Miller
19) Malinoski
20) Lisowski

Post All Star edition:

1) Cowan
2) Niemela
3) Minten
4) Hildeby

I don't see any reason to make changes here. Cowan is a pimp and our clear top prospect. Niemela still having a really nice AHL rookie season and showing that what he did as a 19 yr old in Liiga wasn't a fluke. Minten a pretty clear NHL'er but maybe/probably limited on upside to a good 3C and Hildeby had a rough patch recently but maybe broke out of it with a shutty. The rough patch also coincided, oddly, with his return to the Marlies after the call up to the Leafs with no playing time. Weird.

5) Tverberg
6) Grebyonkin
7) Ahktyamov

Tverberg makes a big jump on the back of excellent play in the AHL during his 21 yr old season. Greby has been a stud for the last 6 weeks in the KHL and Ahky putting up a good KHL season in his rookie year their as well. Not a whole lot more to see from Greby and Ahky in the KHL honestly. It will be nice to get them over to north america shortly. Voit losing the entire development year is bad, so I'm going to move him down.

8) Steeves
9) Holmberg
10) Villeneuve
11) Chadwick
12) Voit
13) Moldenhauer
14) Hirvonen
15) Peksa
16) Kokkonen
17) Miettenen
18) Miller

Holmberg would be graduated if I had any faith at all in Sheldon doing the right thing. The guy is clearly a NHL player. Dunno what he is there quite yet, but he thinks the game at NHL speed and has NHL skating & hands. Steeves is long overdue a shot at earning a full time job as well. Has done everything an organization could ask for. Gets a bit better every year. Everyone else is wait and see at this point, only other guys to point out are that Peksa has sucked in the ECHL this season, which is obviously not good and Miller's goal scoring seems to have ticked up at Harvard this season. Looks like your dime a dozen NCAA skill midget to me, but sometimes when those guys are left to marinate for the full 4 years they actually turn out to be NHL players in the end.

19) Malinoski
20) Lisowski

Back