• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs re-sign Morgan Rielly. 8 years/7.5M

I mean even with a flat cap and front loaded payroll they found the money to burn 2.5 million dollars by signing some fat cheeseburger obsessed kid who can't move. Kerf at his salary is a waste too.

Mo playing the long game, sacrifice a bit of $$ to play in the center of the universe and potentially cement local legend status by winning a Cup.

I think what is up for debate is whether it is wise to resign Rielly for the long-term. If you think it is, then this is a great deal. If you think not, then any deal was bad.

I'm still somewhat on the fence on the first issue but definitely am happy with the terms and think they are team-friendly.
Just don't think about the 8 years,
we did this for the now, besides which, in 6 years he can be moved.

Technically we could squeeze a team in without moving anyone big, but that would mean losing Campbell/mikky/Engvall - but not losing any more than that.

Moving kerfoot and Ritchie would open up enough room to re-sign Campbell.

I just looked at his structure and ew. Why did they back load it
Most contracts were like that last summer because of the whole escrow situation. This year in particular is a big penalty for the players. It was likely the only way they could sign the big fella. Mr. Dick Nick will have more money in his pocket at the end of the day.

Most contracts were like that last summer because of the whole escrow situation. This year in particular is a big penalty for the players. It was likely the only way they could sign the big fella. Mr. Dick Nick will have more money in his pocket at the end of the day.

Yep. It’s the cost of doing business right now. Players are betting on the cap going up and escrow going down as we (in theory) exit the pandemic and get back to something approaching normal in the latter years of these contracts.

So, no one wants to front-load and have the biggest chunk of the money they’re owed subject to the highest escrow claw-backs.

On the one hand, this is probably a conservative estimate, actually, considering how hard they squeezed Dermott when they were tight to the cap and he was coming off his ELC.

At least one, or maybe both of Sandin & Lilly will likely be re-signed short-term for under $1M.

On the other hand, I see you’re assuming they dump Kerfoot and Ritchie’s salaries. Kerfoot will be easy, I think, with how little money he’s owed. But moving Ritchie’s $2.5M cap hit and $3.3M salary won’t be easy. Or, at least, it won’t be cheap.

I forgot about Kase. He shouldn't be too expensive. And maybe dial down sandin and Lilly to dermott-type bridge deals:

Screenshot_20211029-150336_Chrome.jpg

Back