• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs re-sign Morgan Rielly. 8 years/7.5M

Don’t focus on the critics. They’ll all be put in their place eventually. Focus on something more important.

They have a group of early 20 superstars up front and none of them will get a substantial raise in their next contract. That's the definition of a window extender.

the window is right now.

the team needs to take steps now, before the Matthews decision comes up and Muzzin(the only defender that scares any other team) and Tavares(ticking time bomb it appears) decline too much more.

if Matthews goes, you might as well start over.

Matthews isn't going anywhere.

And muzz and Tavares deals both expire before they get old, giving us lots of money to replace them.

The window is now and the next decade.

That weird thing where people take pride in the fact that their team pays more for bad players than the leafs do.
Except many define "good players" as capable of winning in the playoffs. CORSI cups and xGF medals don't really do it.

So before they didn't have the cap to sign Rielly and he was gone. They are wrong, but need to now say it's just a massive problem
Where did he say it was a problem let alone a massive one? Leaf fans are so insecure.

Where did he say it was a problem let alone a massive one? Leaf fans are so insecure.
It's just the moment something good cones up for the Leafs it's turned into some massive negative. It's tiresome. Adding up 5 players without explaining their roles, usage , stats and ignoring what the other players make is really dumb.

The idea that Rielly's hometown discount is disqualified by the NMC is just ignorant. I keep seeing this. Both Hamilton ($9M) and Nurse ($9.25M, lol) got the same protection ... but at 20% greater caphit.

The idea that Rielly's hometown discount is disqualified by the NMC is just ignorant. I keep seeing this. Both Hamilton ($9M) and Nurse ($9.25M, lol) got the same protection ... but at 20% greater caphit.

Players waive nmc's all the time. Its just an extra level of control because they don't want to be banished to Winnipeg or some shit without having final say.

Nylander and Matthews are the next up to expire in 2024. And then Marner and Tavares in 2025.

Of those I can only see Nylander getting a decent enough raise. So there's that? Until then their percentage allocated to the top dogs will decrease as the cap rises.

At this point they've just gotta ride it out these next four years and hope they figure it out. Their flexibility will dramatically shift once the tavares contract expires. Not a bad group of talented players to bet on figuring it out as much as we mock them! They don't have much of a choice really. Trading any of them probably won't end well.
Matthews will cost 14 mil to keep

With cap inflation that won't be a raise.

Cap inflation is of no benefit if your giving it all back to the players when contracts are up

It works when you have your stars locked in for many years at way below market value

Cap inflation is of no benefit if your giving it all back to the players when contracts are up

It works when you have your stars locked in for many years at way below market value
That's the point sir. It's the reason the window is extended. They can easily keep everyone in their primes for the next decade or so. No one will get raises when accounting for inflation. Nylander might, Marner may get a cut. Three superstars up front for the next 7-10 years. And Tavares money will be off the books. Pretty simple concept here. The only thing that could derail it is if they decide to leave. It's a real challenge to build a shit team when you have three forwards as good as them on your roster. Possible, I suppose. But not easy.

Last edited:
Back