• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Looking like Marty St. Louis will be the guy

Found an interview with the 08 Mid-Fairfield Jr. Rangers leading scorer ;)

1644457943678.png
# 15 Joe Salandra Mid Fairfeld Rangers leading scorer Interview

Bantam Hockey talk: How did you take the news of your assistant coach being hired by Montreal?

Joe: Well to be honest we were a little sad. Martin was a great assistant coach. He never looked down on his players, he stood eye to eye with us. That's hard to find in a bantam level coach.

Do you think this will impact your season going forward.

Joe: we are confident since Martin's son Mason is staying with us, and is our second leading scorer, we should be okay. I just hope that Montreal doesn't try and poach him as well. If they do maybe I can come play with them if they could use some scoring.

Bantam Hockey talk:Thanks for your time Joe we appreciate the insight. Keep your stick on the ice.

Yeah like that will really motivate the players to play better

motivation should come from the self; I think a former star like Marty will get the benefit of the doubt

if it doesn't work, who cares? this ain't the time of the season to commit to a new coaching regime anyway

I really think they wanted to roll with DD until the summer but endless humiliations and disgruntled players beyond the point of no return necessitated some improv

Ideally they should hire a coach that will set the team straight leading into next year. Maybe by some fluke Marty can do it, but the odds seems stacked against him.

I really think the snitch theory is the one that makes sense. Gorton and Hughes probably have devised a coaching strategy that the players will be measured against. Marty is the measuring stick. The stick will be in use for every practise, every game and every shift. Problem is, players are human beings, if they sense they are not part of the long term strategy they will not buy in.

“I think this is a great fit — where the team is and Marty is,” Tortorella told The AthleticWednesday night. “He’s just starting his career, and it’s going to be a rebuild there. I think they can all grow together. He has such a great hockey mind.

“He’s going to love it. They’re going to love him. And they’ll get it done.”

Tortorella said what made St. Louis a legendary player will also be his strengths behind the bench. He was a pain in the butt to coach in a sense of how he’d always be asking questions, pushing Tortorella to the limit. Challenging him.

If Martin St. Louis really was an interim coach until the off-season where they'd hire a real coach, fine. Whatever. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. It's still a slap in the face to people who are trying to go up the ladder and make it, but it's a lost season. I would rather have a real teacher for young players than someone who nobody knows if he's a good coach or not...

...But we all know that isn't the case. They can call him an "interim" coach all they want, I doubt someone like St. Louis, who has been well established in the States for over 15 years with no interest of ever coming back to Quebec, is moving countries and away from his kids just for shits & giggles for 10 weeks. He'll be an interim coach until he decides it's not for him, which I find completely unlikely, or until he gets fired three years from now.

I simply don't understand the plus value of getting Martin St. Louis as head coach. In the front office, along with Lecavalier, fine. No big deal.

What's St. Louis's coaching philosophy? What type of team does he like? How is he as a strategist? Can he manage a bench? Is he good with young players? Does he know how to run a real practice? Does he have connections with coaches who would be willing to become his assistants?

Quite literally nobody can answer that because that information is not available to anyone. We could theorize all we want, but that's as far as it goes.

Back