• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Looking like Marty St. Louis will be the guy

If Martin St. Louis really was an interim coach until the off-season where they'd hire a real coach, fine. Whatever. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. It's still a slap in the face to people who are trying to go up the ladder and make it, but it's a lost season. I would rather have a real teacher for young players than someone who nobody knows if he's a good coach or not...

...But we all know that isn't the case. They can call him an "interim" coach all they want, I doubt someone like St. Louis, who has been well established in the States for over 15 years with no interest of ever coming back to Quebec, is moving countries and away from his kids just for shits & giggles for 10 weeks. He'll be an interim coach until he decides it's not for him, which I find completely unlikely, or until he gets fired three years from now.

I simply don't understand the plus value of getting Martin St. Louis as head coach. In the front office, along with Lecavalier, fine. No big deal.

What's St. Louis's coaching philosophy? What type of team does he like? How is he as a strategist? Can he manage a bench? Is he good with young players? Does he know how to run a real practice? Does he have connections with coaches who would be willing to become his assistants?

Quite literally nobody can answer that because that information is not available to anyone. We could theorize all we want, but that's as far as it goes.

Sure, but I’ll bet he knows a wicked laser tag place for the end of season party. They probably have pizza.

The idea of St. Louis being named a coach for the season so that management can "know" who to keep holds no water for me.

I've missed out on a lot of games this season and I have a preeeeetty clear idea of who needs to stay and who needs to go. Pretty sure most here know that too. Don't need to be behind the bench to confirm that Petry's quit on the team, Drouin doesn't like playing hockey and Gallagher's lost a step.

The idea of St. Louis being named a coach for the season so that management can "know" who to keep holds no water for me.

I've missed out on a lot of games this season and I have a preeeeetty clear idea of who needs to stay and who needs to go. Pretty sure most here know that too. Don't need to be behind the bench to confirm that Petry's quit on the team, Drouin doesn't like playing hockey and Gallagher's lost a step.

Exactly, and what is MSL going to do to motivate a defeated lineup

2/3 are gone in a 2 year span , this movie ending was set in place years ago .

There are no surprises how paying aging vets in their late 20`s would work out .

Unreal how dumb regimes are still dumb

Wait, you mean as the actual head coach of the Montreal Canadiens?

The same guy whose only coaching experience is with & against pre-pubescent boys?

This is a joke, right?

Get the fuck out of here.
Ordinarily I'd be incensed by a name recognition hire but if hiring a rank amateur with zero experience helps keep the tank rolling I'm all for it.

I really think the snitch theory is the one that makes sense. Gorton and Hughes probably have devised a coaching strategy that the players will be measured against. Marty is the measuring stick. The stick will be in use for every practise, every game and every shift. Problem is, players are human beings, if they sense they are not part of the long term strategy they will not buy in.
That's one short ruler they're using there.

The idea of Martin growing with the team as it's going through a rebuild is interesting. There is little expectations for him and the team for this year and the next one so it will give him so time to learn and assume control. Players will respect him so that's a big plus immediately. Players didn't respect Ducharme.

The idea of Martin growing with the team as it's going through a rebuild is interesting. There is little expectations for him and the team for this year and the next one so it will give him so time to learn and assume control. Players will respect him so that's a big plus immediately. Players didn't respect Ducharme.

That’s the way I see it.

Habs braintrust identified a coaching prospect with ZERO experience…. what better way to give him experience than 40 NHL games where every mistake he makes will provide a valuable lesson with no negative consequences.

I think MSL is smart enough to tell his players “I’m new here….I will make mistakes but you’re all gonna help me figure out the answers”

That type transparency plus his HOF career will give him a decent amount of goodwill.

Back