• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Looking like Marty St. Louis will be the guy

So it begins…

«C’est une insulte pour notre ligue, peste-t-il en analysant l’embauche d’un autre homme de hockey établi aux États-Unis depuis 20 ans. Quel message ça envoie aux autres équipes de la LNH que le meilleur entraîneur pour le Canadien est un gars qui est adjoint entraîneur dans le pee-wee [M13]? Le Canadien, c’est rendu le club optimiste du hockey ou quoi?»

So it begins…

So if you leave Quebec, even if you’re a francophone, you should not be allowed to coach the Canadiens? At least Sean’s father is not too provincial on his outlook on the world. Yikes.

So if you leave Quebec, even if you’re a francophone, you should not be allowed to coach the Canadiens? At least Sean’s father is not too provincial on his outlook on the world. Yikes.
Q management & ownership are scared to look in the mirror - sticking their heads in the sand and imagining the league is on par w other amateur development programs is the easiest thing to do

«La seule porte d’entrée dans la LNH pour nos Québécois, ce sont les Canadiens de Montréal”

Tell me that doesn’t scream “privilege”….

Like what Marty said about he rather a player makes a bad read than no read at all. Pretty well sums up the Habs D this year, they look so lost they were not making any reads at all.

It is a slap in the face at the old way of doing things…. And if MSL succeeds, it will be called progress. It’s not like the old way was doing the Habs any favours

So it begins…

How about you become so good at developing players and coaches that 32 teams are fighting for your services instead of relying on one as pity service.

Groulx and Vincent will likely get their shots at some point.

Roy damaged his reputation in Colorado by walking out on them.

So it begins…

To say that the hire is an "insult" to the Q implies that francophone coaches from that league deserve to get jobs with the Habs simply because they're francophones coaching in the Q. Not because they deserve to be there on any sort of merit, but simply because of their birth certificate.

The Habs owe these people NOTHING. Besides which, they had a coach from the Q up until a couple of days ago and he was garbage. Ducharme isn't doing the Q any favors with the job he did. If anything, his performance makes it tougher for coaches in that league to get promotion.

I'm so done with these editorials that basically say that the reason the Habs need to hire someone isn't because that person is actually any good at their job but merely because they tick a particular box on their cultural/linguistic purity test. You want a job in the NHL with the Habs or any other team? Fucking earn it by not being shit at your chosen career so much.

Q management & ownership are scared to look in the mirror - sticking their heads in the sand and imagining the league is on par w other amateur development programs is the easiest thing to do

Tell me that doesn’t scream “privilege”….
It screams more than that. If it's true that the only doorway into the NHL for a coach from the Q is the Habs then what they're saying is that their coaches aren't really good enough to be in the NHL and have to rely on the charity of the "home team" to hire them in order that they can save face. Then these same media types have the unmitigated gall to complain when the Habs don't win? Well what do you want? A winning team or a jobs program for mediocre francophone coaches? You can't have both.

The problem is that unlike during his playing days, MSL doesn't have nearly as much control over being able to prove people wrong. As I've said before, Scotty Bowman on his best day couldn't win with this team and Marty won't win with it either, despite his best efforts.

I'd rather see MSL in some other role with the club and have them hire Montgomery as the permanent replacement behind the bench. Anglo VP, Anglo GM, Anglo head coach. I just want to watch Tremblay and the other jackals lose their minds.

The problem is that unlike during his playing days, MSL doesn't have nearly as much control over being able to prove people wrong. As I've said before, Scotty Bowman on his best day couldn't win with this team and Marty won't win with it either, despite his best efforts.

I'd rather see MSL in some other role with the club and have them hire Montgomery as the permanent replacement behind the bench. Anglo VP, Anglo GM, Anglo head coach. I just want to watch Tremblay and the other jackals lose their minds.
Reggie already started..

Je suis heureux pour Martin St-Louis, un gars de Laval. Un gagnant et une belle personne. Et dans les faits, il n’est pas un novice absolu dans le coaching contrairement à Mario Tremblay.
But….
Mais le préférer à un Guy Boucher ? À un Patrick Roy ? J’ai besoin d’une explication.

The changing of the guard is underway (on a large scale) in the NHL w an emphasis on educational background + analytical thinking + organized systemic way of doing things vs yelling / screaming / pounding the table of yesteryear, and Sylvain Couturiers / Reggie et al response is an indication the old guard sees the tidal wave coming and know they will be on the outside looking in…

Last edited:
Reggie already started..

But….

They don't have to explain or justify anything to anyone. But the answer is that they clearly believe that Marty has the attributes to develop into a very good coach over the next 2-3 years, until which time the team won't be good anyway. How is this so hard to understand?

They don't have to explain or justify anything to anyone. But the answer is that they clearly believe that Marty has the attributes to develop into a very good coach over the next 2-3 years, until which time the team won't be good anyway. How is this so hard to understand?
“They” fully understand, “they” also understand what this means to each of them - as in loss of career simply because 95% of them will not be able to adapt

Reggie already started..

But….

The changing of the guard is underway (on a large scale) in the NHL w an emphasis on educational background + analytical thinking + organized systemic way of doing things vs yelling / screaming / pounding the table of yesteryear, and Sylvain Couturiers / Reggie et al response is an indication the old guard sees the tidal wave coming and know they will be on the outside looking in…

Its all good if its combined with understanding your team and making sound common sense decisions based on analytic evaluation

A player like Gally may have nice fancy stats but like GGPX says paying a player late in their 20`s to a dumb contract ends in tears

Information has to be processed properly and you still need old approach school scouts , eyes in buildings , etc....

“They” fully understand, “they” also understand what this means to each of them - as in loss of career simply because 95% of them will not be able to adapt

These guys have not had an original thought in over twenty years. Their suggestions are banal: Guy Boucher. Patrick Roy.

My 80 yr old mom can come up with these names.

Back