• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

In order to have an actual chance at winning a general election I feel like the conservatives will have to, at a minimum:
a) modernize their views on climate change
b) stop feeding the base and try to broaden their support

but I don't see either happening any time soon, especially under their current leadership.

the knives keep getting sharpened for Scheer, apparently there was a (since-deleted) tweet from Dougie this morning supporting a new leader (don't remember the exact wording or phrasing, but suffice to say it was anti-Scheer)

In order to have an actual chance at winning a general election I feel like the conservatives will have to, at a minimum:

but I don't see either happening any time soon, especially under their current leadership.

the knives keep getting sharpened for Scheer, apparently there was a (since-deleted) tweet from Dougie this morning supporting a new leader (don't remember the exact wording or phrasing, but suffice to say it was anti-Scheer)

That's a tricky balancing act for the CPC.

Move too far to the center on social issues or climate change, and they run the risk of the party splintering again. But if they maintain the status quo, I don't see how they ever pick up enough support in Ontario or Quebec to form a stable government.

Can't do B or else they go all Reform Party again. The dirty secret of Canadian conservative politics is that the westerners are obnoxiously hard right (by Canadian standards) and only hold their noses while letting their party be dragged slightly to the centre at the promise of holding power if they do. Move too far to the centre though and they bolt, create a Reform/Wildrose party and divide the right for long enough to engulf the centre right and hit the reset button. They just did it in Alberta again with the UCP, which is basically Wildrose.

makes their path to governing again really fucking challenging. just as well I suppose.

Especially with changing demographics and economic patterns not in their favour. Their votes are distributed terribly, their base outside the west is small, but more importantly white and old, two demos of shrinking importance in Ontario. The west no longer pulling people towards their financial gravity limits their influence as well. The Conservatives really need to NDP/Greens to become strong enough to split the voter even more drastically than they currently do. Though Quebec is mercurial at the best of times, one of the underlying truths of this election was that Quebec was ready to go more conservative, but looked at the CPC and decided on the Bloq instead. That doesn't doesn't speak well for future success there either. Conservative vote share was up nationally, but down in in about 95% of urban ridings across the country.

makes their path to governing again really fucking challenging. just as well I suppose.

I guess the one distinction to draw is that it's well within the realm of possibility that they could win a plurality of seats and take a crack at forming a minority government, even without a radical reform of the standard Conservative election platform they ran on this time.

I think they'd need a better leader than Scheer, and they'd need some combination of people being fucking sick of the Liberals, a Liberal scandal or two that really sticks in the public consciousness (like the sponsorship scandal), or a historically weak/unpopular Liberal leader (Dion/Ignatieff).

But at the end of the day, they'd still have to figure out how to form a stable government and deliver some semblance of their platform with support from some combination of the Liberals, NDP, Bloc & Greens. Pretty damn tricky. A lot less common ideological common ground to be found with their potential dance partners than the Liberals when they're in a minority situation.

Especially with changing demographics and economic patterns not in their favour. Their votes are distributed terribly, their base outside the west is small, but more importantly white and old, two demos of shrinking importance in Ontario. The west no longer pulling people towards their financial gravity limits their influence as well. The Conservatives really need to NDP/Greens to become strong enough to split the voter even more drastically than they currently do. Though Quebec is mercurial at the best of times, one of the underlying truths of this election was that Quebec was ready to go more conservative, but looked at the CPC and decided on the Bloq instead. That doesn't doesn't speak well for future success there either. Conservative vote share was up nationally, but down in in about 95% of urban ridings across the country.
Quebec is always a bit of a wildcard, but if the Cons cannot win any urban ridings, they're screwed. and they seem to have decided that its more important to keep the base fired up and onside than to broaden their support. and without broadening their support, they cannot win any urban ridings.

and Andrew Scheer sure as shit ain't gonna be the one to square this circle

I guess the one distinction to draw is that it's well within the realm of possibility that they could win a plurality of seats and take a crack at forming a minority government, even without a radical reform of the standard Conservative election platform they ran on this time.

I think they'd need a better leader than Scheer, and they'd need some combination of people being fucking sick of the Liberals, a Liberal scandal or two that really sticks in the public consciousness (like the sponsorship scandal), or a historically weak/unpopular Liberal leader (Dion/Ignatieff).

But at the end of the day, they'd still have to figure out how to form a stable government and deliver some semblance of their platform with support from some combination of the Liberals, NDP, Bloc & Greens. Pretty damn tricky. A lot less common ideological common ground to be found with their potential dance partners than the Liberals when they're in a minority situation.
yup. to the extent our politics are becoming more polarized, that polarization is more along the lines of cons vs all other parties. so even if they win a plurality of seats, where do they turn to for support?

They’ll get their 1 in 3 or 4 chances to govern when the public tires of the Grits. They have a solid minority base and will occasionally get the swing voters when they want to toss the bums out.

I mean, Doug Ford, right? He’s an industrial grade gorilla clown. Premier of Ontario.

giphy.gif

Goddamn that is funny.

Is your facebook con-splaining how this is the good kind of carbon tax?

Could never have imagined such a thing

Wexit Organizers are Far Right Conspiracy Theorists

Over the past year, Peter Downing, an ex-RCMP officer and Patrick King, a self-styled journalist, have accused Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government of “normalizing pedophilia,” tolerating ISIS terrorists penetrating the country apparently disguised as refugees, and pursuing an immigration policy aimed to “depopulate the white, Anglo-Saxon race.”

“There’s a smear campaign against white people right now where when we speak up, we’re called racist, anti-Semite, or xenophobe,” King said. “True-blooded Canadians are being weeded out while our corrupt government is letting in ISIS terrorists across the border.”

Back