• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

I would do Knies as the centrepiece for Weegar, but I don't know how much more of real value I would want to give up on top of that and I'm not sure something like Knies + 1st + Salary Filler gets it done. I think there's a bunch of teams that would be interested and could match or beat that.
i mean i don't see why they wouldn't ask for something you mentioned earlier like Cowan/Knies/1st. We all like Weegar a lot which means there would be multiple other teams interested too. I am starting to view Cowan as kind of untouchable though, Weegar isn't a superstar but Knies/1st/salary does feel pretty light.

Add Niemela to that package and then we're maybe talking. They have a lot of prospects they can use as currency, I'd avoid trading their best one. Muzzin had a similar pedigree as Weegar and was probably on a better, safer contract than him and yes, while they traded Durzi he was really mostly thought of as a throw-in. He wasn't the main guy the Kings thought they were getting back. Niemela and a 1st as a starting point and that's already a better package than the Ekholm one.

As mentioned, I think there's a lot of teams that can use Weegar and could beat an offer like that. Calgary has options that also include keeping Weegar. LAK was mid rebuild and knew that they would never get more for Muzzin than when they traded him, with only one year left on his deal at the time. Calgary has all sorts of expiring pieces they can spin out for those types of assets. Tanev gets you a high 1st or at least a decent 2nd, if they can't extend Lindholm he's going to get a similar or better package than 1st + good prospect, etc. Lots of things to unwind there before you think about trading Weegar unless it's for a premium.

Signed for 8 more years into his mid-30s on a team that is struggling with him as a top pair d. I don't see why the value would be much more than Ekholm's last year. When has a Knies type ever been traded for this type of player?

Niemela, Timmins and a 1st (Plus Kampf and Klingberg for salary) for Weegar. Dump Reaves.

Knies-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Bertuzzi-Domi-Krok
McMann-Holmberg-Gregor

Rielly-Lilly
Brodie-Weegar
Gio-McCabe

plus $868k in space. If anyone takes Reaves then its $1.06 in space.

Ekholm is 33 (32 at last year's deadline). Weegar is 29. 3 crucial years of quality play before he becomes Ekholm value.

It's a fair point to question the return for these other guys, but I don't know that Hampus Lindholm was considered to be that great, certainly an upside guy early in his career and then a little bit of a disappointment until last year's resurgence, no?

Hot Erik is a different category, studly but also 33 and with that insane long-term contract removing much of his trade value. Though I guess you do have to subtract a little value here for Weegar's contract too.

I don't see why Weegar's trade value would be all that different from Karlsson/Ekholm/Lindholm/Muzzin/etc.

I'll take a crack at it

- Karlsson, despite coming off of a ridiculous season is/was risky and 33. He's a boom/bust player and it was a boom/bust team looking to roll the dice in a boom/bust transaction because it's either win now or die. There weren't (m)any suitors, so you're kind of bidding against yourself.

- Ekholm as mentioned is 3.5 years older than Weegar. 1st + 4th + 3.5 years of Weegar = ????

- Lindholm was expiring (though signing an extension the day after means Boston was obviously given permission to talk to him, but still this limits the trade field to teams Lindholm was willing to sign long term with) and still netted a 1st, 2 2nds, recent 1st rounder Vaakanainen. Lindholm was also kind of considered to be a diminished version of his previous self at the time of the trade. His reputation repaired itself last year in Boston.

- Muzz was signed for 1 more year, not under control for the rest of his prime and still cost a 1st, and 2 recents 2nd round pick prospects.

A lot of this comes down to the circumstances under which the players came available. SJ finally gave up trying to get max value for Karlsson after a solid year of trying to rape the world. Nashville finally traded Ekholm to tank when he was 33. Anaheim didn't give up Lindholm until the last minute before they would lose him for nothing in free agency. LAK was mid tank and knew the time to move Muzzin for as much as possible was then.

I don't see Calgary being remotely as convinced that now is the time to move Weegar without an overpay, just like trying to trade for any of the above before their clubs were ready to move them would have required an overpay. Calgary has lots of stuff they could move to clear the decks now and aim for a quick retool (as a rebuild is unlikely to be approved by an ownership group currently building a 1.2 Billion dollar arena)

Do you think if we kidnapped Tre and replaced him with leafman101 in disguise, anyone would notice?

turtle-club.gif

Fwiw, I just want to patch the boat.

- Try everyone at 3C. Fucking everyone. If we can't find an internal answer, trade for one. I don't care if it's a defensive oriented (but actually good) 3C or guy who creates offence and needs some sheltering. Just someone who is a legit middle 6 NHL centre that is decently difficult to play against and helps drive the bus.
- Short term Muzzin replacement. Anyone who can pair with TJ as a matchup pairing. Tanev, Hanifin, Skjei, Pesce, whoever the nerds say can do the job, don't care. Medium to long term is better, but I'll take an expiring player if necessary.

- Fire our garbage into the sun and play the kids.

Back