• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

B0WH_NOCIAA2glz.jpg

I've come to realize that it's probably not that he can't wrist it anymore it's that he's chosen not to, in order to save his wrist.

He's forced himself to become awesome at every other type of scoring in order to avoid the inevitable permanent damage of putting his wrist through that kind of extreme stress 100s of times a year.

Last year was probably just practice. A learning curve.

It's the opposite of ovechkin - ovechkin started his career by scoring in every type of way until eventually settling into just pounding that one timer as he got older and slower. Matthews started...well, not one dimensional but definitely wrister-dominant and has forced himself into beclming great at scoring in all ways.

Even as the SH% (which isn't crazy by Auston standards, but is a bit high still) regresses, if this is his level of play for the year he's probably a Hart lock.

Of all the top scorers in the league right now, Auston has the lowest OISH% and the shooting/team luck numbers most in line with his career norms

SH%(Typical)/OISH%(Typical)

Auston: 22.8% (16-18%) / 15.2% (13-14%)
Elias: 19.4% (15-17%) / 20.7% (11.5-14%)
J Hughes: 14.3 (13-16%) / 19.0% (11-12%)
Q Hughes: 11.1% (4-5%) / 17.1% (10-12%)

The big one for me there is OISH% and all of them (other than Auston) being way, way above a typical season for them. Auston isn't likely to shoot 23% this year and score 90, but if he stays healthy he could definitely shoot 18% and score 70. All of the other early season Hart contenders need everyone around them to shoot ridiculous SH% to keep up with Auston's goal scoring.

A) is this 5v5 or All
B) when his sh% drops the assists will pick up

A) is this 5v5 or All
B) when his sh% drops the assists will pick up

A)No, that's all situations.
B)Yeah, that's the takeaway there. He'll stop scoring all the goals, but other scoring plays he's involved in will start finding the back of the net more often, largely balancing it out. He's the only one among the top scorers who hasn't had crazy OISH puck luck to start the year.

Would be nice if Timmins can get some games in before Lilly comes off LTIR.

Would be even better if he outplayed Klinger in those games (which is fairly likely tbh).

With both Lilly and Timmins on the team the leafs are $118,950.00 over the cap.

Someone's gotta go. I would prefer if it was Klinger.

Other options:

- send Gio down - don't love it he's still good bottom pair stuff, and doesn't save us enough space to carry an extra league min guy anyways

- send knies down for a guy with a caphit of $806,050 or lower (McMann 762500, Holmberg 800000, Abbruzzes 775000, Clifford 7625pp) - not gonna happen Knies is really good

- send Reaves down - not ideal because it leaves $200k dead money, and i doubt brad will ditch him this quickly anyways....but probably the best option.

- trade sammy or Jarnkrok or klinger or domi.

Honestly felt like Timmins was fairly good eye-test wise when he's played since we've gotten him but it doesn't really seem like they're that enamored with him.

Do the nerdies tell a different story or something?

Would be nice if Timmins can get some games in before Lilly comes off LTIR.

Would be even better if he outplayed Klinger in those games (which is fairly likely tbh).

With both Lilly and Timmins on the team the leafs are $118,950.00 over the cap.

Someone's gotta go. I would prefer if it was Klinger.

Other options:

- send Gio down - don't love it he's still good bottom pair stuff, and doesn't save us enough space to carry an extra league min guy anyways

- send knies down for a guy with a caphit of $806,050 or lower (McMann 762500, Holmberg 800000, Abbruzzes 775000, Clifford 7625pp) - not gonna happen Knies is really good

- send Reaves down - not ideal because it leaves $200k dead money, and i doubt brad will ditch him this quickly anyways....but probably the best option.

- trade sammy or Jarnkrok or klinger or domi.
Sammy for foegelle
Sammy and kilnger for Zadorov/Tanev and vladar

I see the idea though.

Sammy and Klinger give us the contracts to add a guy like Weegar, and you'd probably want to get some kind of goalie back in that deal too.

Though yeah Vladar's numbers look even more terrible than I thought.

Back