• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Give up the best of the 3 dmen in the deal and a very solid prospect for those 2?

Like is this klingberg and abruzzee for free and then Lilly for zadorov and tanev at 50%

Lilly only gets moved for a better dman than those two, and one that's going to be here for a while.

treliving.jpg

Sheldon didn't really seem to trust Timmy that much last year in the playoffs, so that's the only thing that makes me nervous about him potentially getting moved (obviously not this deal).

Sheldon didn't really seem to trust Timmy that much last year in the playoffs, so that's the only thing that makes me nervous about him potentially getting moved (obviously not this deal).

Is tree more likely to dump Lilly or fire Sheldon over that though? Tree just came from a place where two of his best moves were in trusting young Swedish RHD.

I don't know why but that clip scared the shit out of me. Tre has done nothing to ease my concerns that he thinks like the average Leafs fan. Liljegren and Minten for a #4 and 5/6 d. And both are fucking rentals. Holy shit.

Hold me.

I wish the didn’t look so dumb.

Let’s look at what he’s actually done here…

Klingberg is a mess but at the end of the day I don’t dislike what they were trying to do with him (score more), his other pickups look good (domi/bert), he pushed for the 19 year old minten to start the year with the team, he was ok with the rookie Woll bring part of the goalie solution and he didn’t commit any long term $ aside from extending the greatest hockey player in the world by far. He said his next priority is willy.

Tough for me to be upset about any of that, really.

And given that he signed Klingberg walked from schenn and looking at his D from Calgary, I’m not sure why we should be concerned that he’s going to dump talent for 3rd pair oafs because they’re high and tough.

But he looks so friggin dumb that it’s hard to trust him. Also he’s the scion of a biz that not only can’t figure out how to make decent pizza but somehow makes worse pizza than pizza pizza which further erodes trust.

I don't know why but that clip scared the shit out of me. Tre has done nothing to ease my concerns that he thinks like the average Leafs fan. Liljegren and Minten for a #4 and 5/6 d. And both are fucking rentals. Holy shit.

Hold me.
yeah I'm not prepared to give Tree the benefit of any doubt quite yet

But he looks so friggin dumb that it’s hard to trust him. Also he’s the scion of a biz that not only can’t figure out how to make decent pizza but somehow makes worse pizza than pizza pizza which further erodes trust.
and then charge you an arm and a leg for said mediocre pizza. it's brilliant in a sense, conning people into overpaying for that shit.

Yeah his face might be his biggest issue. His mistakes come with a light at the end of the tunnel but it sure would have been nice if he added a legitimate top 4 when it was easier to add one, as opposed to having to do it mid-season. It's not crippling and he hasn't quite given us his Cliff Fletcher "holy fuck this team is entirely fucked" moment like the Steen trade. But I still have tremendous fears that it's coming. His next few moves will tell us a lot about where this team is headed. Looking at his face makes me alarmed that I won't like it.

Yeah the klingberg "it was a good try" opinion thing doesn't really jive for me. He's been shit for long enough to recognize how incredibly likely it was that this would be the result. It was kind of important to get that one right because a top 2/4 d was probably their biggest "need" heading into the season and was probably easier to find one this summer than it is right now.

let's be honest though paying five and a half mil over league minimum for Kampf Reaves Klingberg ain't pretty. That's a $6m dollar player he could have signed to fill one of those slots instead. That's Weegar money.
At least with Klingberg and even Reaves, we can see what he was going for. I can kind of understand bringing Kampf back to center the 4th line, but it seems to me like 1.2 x 2 should have been the absolute max offer here.

Reaves and Klingberg are unplayable disasters. team-killingly bad.

yes he has been a bit better lately...but Domi has 0 goals in 15 games. 0.

As for Bertuzzi, I'm going to need more than 3 goals and 6 points in 15 games for my 5.5 million in cap hit, thank you very much.

Can Tre redeem? yeah, of course. he can make good trades to fill the team's biggest issues...a capable 2 way top 4 dman to replace Klingberg(along with Liljegren returning) to fix the defence, and a solid 2 way 3C. Those aren't necessarily easy things to get...but these players need to be solid, not allstars.

I think I'm happy with leaving the forwards untouched. They have a lot of capable bodies there and Minten and Cowan perhaps arriving late season could be a nice boost as well. For me in a perfect world they get 1 elite Ekholm caliber stud and their d corps will fall into place immediately as everyone slots down, kinda like what happened to Edmonton. It's a lot to ask to find mid-season and I don't know who that would even be.. But that's what would put them back to legit cup contenders/borderline favorites for me.

A Tanev type #4 is fine and would do just fine in the absence of other options, but those guys won't move the needle as much. And if they're trading away a McCabe type I would question how much of an upgrade there really will be.

It's an incomplete body of work right now for Tre. I think many of us expected them to have to dump Klingberg.. So let's see how he does it and let's see who he replaces him with and at what cost. This is where the challenging work begins.

Last edited:
The UFA strategy was good. Just take the best players that will sign one year deals.

The problem is the UFA dmen that took 1 year deals all kinda stink other than Gus. We got the worst one for sure, but still.

Dumba, Stetcher, Dermott, Ghost, OEL, Kulikov. Though OEL and Kulikov have been very good this year, not sure I’d want any of those guys past the deadline.

The UFA strategy was good. Just take the best players that will sign one year deals.

The problem is the UFA dmen that took 1 year deals all kinda stink other than Gus. We got the worst one for sure, but still.

Dumba, Stetcher, Dermott, Ghost, OEL, Kulikov. Though OEL and Kulikov have been very good this year, not sure I’d want any of those guys past the deadline.
OEL is playing 23.5 min per game(2nd highest on the team) on a team ahead of us in the standings and has put up 10pts in 15 games.

That has been a homerun 1 year deal.

Back