• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

No Excuses No Limits! The mother fucking goddamn season thread

Benoit was serviceable last season, and has had a solid camp.. but with Tanev and OEL coming in I was expecting..

Rielly-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren
OEL-Hakanpaa
(Benoit-Timmins)

Also think that the coaches lack of confidence stemmed from the goaltending.

Hopefully that takes a step forward this season.

But i think it's a no-brainer to re-up McCabe either way. He's a very good dman.

Tanev's deal is obviously far too long but hopefully it was signed with shenanigans in mind.

The OEL deal is definitely the sketchiest to me. I like the player and the fit but I hate giving that kind of contract to a guy who's not even 100% clearcut top-4 this year, let alone a couple years down the road.

There is a 100% certainty that at some point in the next 4 years paying McCabe, Tanev and OEL will be a problem.

And there is a question if that is even a good enough 2-4 now.

McCabe has been very good the last couple years though.

Rielly 30 - 31 - 32 - 33 - 34 - 35
McCabe 31 - 32 - 33 - 34 - 35 - 36 (if he actually signs for 6yrs)

Tanev 35 - 36 - 37 - 38 - 39 - 40
OEL 33 - 34 -35 - 36

I wouldn't let the iffyness of the Tanev and OEL deals mess with the Mccabe deal at all tbh. Of course something cheaper and shorter for McCabe than that rumour would be better.

I honestly don’t really love McCabe. When we acquired him, I hoped he’d be at least a passable Muzzin replacement. But he’s been moreso an “ok, just ok” second-pairing defenseman at best.

That’s been fine when we’ve had him at a bargain cap hit for the last couple of years of his 20’s. But signing him for big money deep into his 30’s is scary as fuck.

Combine that with the Tanev signing, and Treliving seems like he’s starting to do what he did in Calgary—setting up a cap situation that’s going to be a smoking ruin for a entire generation after he’s eventually shit-canned.

1727964147604.png

not going to get much clarity on the lines and cuts yet unfortunately.

it's arguably interesting that Kampf is in this group instead of Holmberg, but maybe not.

Hard to guess at the lines here.....Kampf Lorentz Pare Quillan seem to be the four centers here.....except that Lorentz isn't really a C and I don't think has played C in camp yet, and has usually been on a line with Kampf. I guess maybe Krok could get a look at C? Hirvonen maybe? i dunno.

Pacioretty - Kampf - Robertson
Jarnkrok - Lorentz - McMann
Cowan - Quillan - Grebenkin
Steeves - Pare - Nylander
Hirvonen

Rifai - Liljegren
Kokkonen - Myers
Webber - Mattinen
Niemela

I honestly don’t really love McCabe. When we acquired him, I hoped he’d be at least a passable Muzzin replacement. But he’s been moreso an “ok, just ok” second-pairing defenseman at best.

tbh he's been used in a bigger, tougher, role than Muzz and with better results.

View attachment 22157

not going to get much clarity on the lines and cuts yet unfortunately.

it's arguably interesting that Kampf is in this group instead of Holmberg, but maybe not.

Hard to guess at the lines here.....Kampf Lorentz Pare Quillan seem to be the four centers here.....except that Lorentz isn't really a C and I don't think has played C in camp yet, and has usually been on a line with Kampf. I guess maybe Krok could get a look at C? Hirvonen maybe? i dunno.

Pacioretty - Kampf - Robertson
Jarnkrok - Lorentz - McMann
Cowan - Quillan - Grebenkin
Steeves - Pare - Nylander
Hirvonen

Rifai - Liljegren
Kokkonen - Myers
Webber - Mattinen
Niemela
Redwing knees are already scared.

noticing the tide has kinda turned on the nylander hate in my real life interactions.

it's mitch now.

Still find it weird how Mitch just got a lot slower vs what I remember in his first few years. I called it an effort thing that he just isn’t working as hard - maybe it’s an injury on top of his bitch personality.

Felt the public started to turn on him when he sat out for the monster deal/his dad using media. Then he had that video apology or whatever and made things worse.

Locking up a smaller slower forward for 8 years at a big salary - thinking now trade or let him walk. Could be a disaster with injuries for him.

In the old Nylander v Marner debates - I’ve always questioned marner cause he doesn’t drive a line and making 8 figures. If I trusted management would rather have all that cap space next offseason.

Back