• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

One or two excuses & probably quite limited! The "ah fuck, here we go again" playoff thread

I’d be ok trading Marner. But it has to make your team better. Basically you need a stud #1 D and find a way to get a top 6 winger for the same money. Like when Boston traded Thornton for nothing they used the cap space on Chara and Savard.

Tavares has to go. Can’t spend $11 mill on this. You can sign Roy or skjei and get an actual center and still have money left over.

Yeah, after sleeping on it a few times I'm kind of at the same place with Marner for the most part but at least some of it needs to come down to contract demands. If he points at Matthews as a comparable again and pushes for 13 million, I think you need to look to move on and accept that you're not going to get 100% value in return for him. You're going to do well in trade for him regardless, but you might have to accept 2 good pieces in return instead of 1 great piece (the mythical Marner for elite #1D trade we want)

If Marner is willing to take Willy money I think he can be part of the solution here. I look at how much playoff improvement some of the guys we jettisoned made immediately after leaving and it definitely makes me wonder how much the organization/coaching is to blame here. As I've pointed out a few times this week already, Matthews-Marner-Nylander have all produced in the top 25 among playoff producers over the last 6-7 years. So while I think an argument can be made that it would be nice if Matthews was a top 3-5 producer instead of fighting to be top 10, and Marner/Nylander closer to top 10 instead if on the edge of top 20, that definitely isn't our biggest problem. The difference between them failing and not appears to be like 1 goal a series each. Basically the difference between the powerplay sucking dick and not. I'm not willing to blame that on those 3 entirely without seeing a significant change in coaching quality first...I mean, almost all of that production I mentioned above is 5v5...they're all top 25 in playoff production without any PP contribution? It's a lot easier to be a bitch and disappear at 5v5 than it is the PP.

- I think pretty massive changes need to be made to the front office and coaching staff (basically clean house from Shanny down, complete turnover). Everything must go or nothing will change. Pizza Boy is unfit for the job as the board was pretty uniformly worried about at the time of the hire. All 3 of Shanny's GM's have been brutal, he can go and I'd bet money on Sheldon getting another coaching job based on his Leaf regular season resume, that flopping hard and then him being out of the league. He's shit.

- Tavares, Jarnkrok, Kampf, & Reaves all need to go. Jarnkrok and Kampf don't do anything we can't get internally or from near minimum salaries in free agency. The Tavares NMC makes it relatively complicated depending on where he's willing to go and that will pretty heavily impact the return (and any less than desirable contracts we have to take back to get it done).

- The blueline needs a massive overhaul but oddly a lot of the pieces to a pretty good blueline are here. Rielly is Rielly. Shelter him and let him run wild against mid tier or easier matchups and he's fine. Lilly needs to be given a role, whatever the organization thinks that is and just leave him in it to grow. Want him to move the puck and generate offence? Cool, put him with Rielly and give them all the soft ozone work with the Matthews forward line. Think he's a guy who can develop into a shutty? Also cool, go get whoever the nerds tell you is the best matchup guy on the market. Actually, go get the best 2. McCabe can go to the 3rd pairing with Benoit/Timmins as a good physical 3rd pairing that isn't full on grenade chucker and doesn't need ridiculous levels of shelting. The cap space is there for 2 of Montour/Skjei/Roy/Walker/Pesce. Go get 2 of them and it transforms the blueline and the team tremendously.

- Woll is fine as the 1B while we see what the big viking is as a pro. We need to go get a guy though and there doesn't look to be a free agent worth bringing in so we're probably looking at a trade. If Sorokin is available I think that's the obvious one to go balls out for. Boston is allegedly interested in moving on from Ullmark for cap purposes and he's solid as a 1A. Saros' name keeps coming up and can handle legit starter workloads but a midget getting closer to 30 should look to have his workload dialed back from 65 games a year into the 50-55 range imo. A good goalie probably changes teams this summer though and we shouldn't miss out on that opportunity.

I just dont trust Tre to do a good job of handling anything hockey related moving forward.

His first order of business will be to move mountains to get Markstrom and hes going to blow his wad doing it
guaranteed he's a perma-asshole is he ever comes to Toronto

Ok…so what do you do if Mitch won’t waive his NMC, and your only two options are to let him walk as a UFA, or re-sign him to an extension at the $12-13M AAV he’ll almost certainly be demanding.

Do you sign him to that deal, then?
No let him walk. This same group needs to be broken and I don't count JT in that group. AM, Nylander, and Marner need to be broken

And how do you find a team willing to take that man baby on at the hotel mini-bar price he will demand? Trading Marner is addition by subtraction because you aren't getting market value for him, not after that execrable display on Saturday night.
He is a dynamic player who just doesn't work out with this group. Kadri left and became a cup winner. Almost any team with cap space should want him.

$87.7

the key to moving Tavares is that he only makes $910k after Jul1. trick is finding the sweet spot of a team with capspace, that cares a lot about saving real money, that Tavares is willing to go to.

Honestly....that's Utah's music. I don't think they care about saving money so much, but adding a significant name and face to their season ticket drive would be valuable to them and they're going to have a ton of cap to work with because they're inheriting a poverty clownshow.

They have dead money to send back as well if it helps us get something decent in return for John. Schmaltz + Voracek's dead money for JT?

Im no Mitch Marner guy, but letting him walk, a top 10 F in the NHL, is insane.
He isn't a top 10 in the playoffs so what he is in the regular season is irrelevant. Look at the teams the Leafs have managed to lose to in the playoffs since Marner arrived. Aside from Boston none of them has had a forward on its roster as regular season good as him, but the common denominator in every series is that the other team wins the series and Marner plays like shit. So stop thinking about him in terms of his regular season performance. it's not relevant if he can't duplicate it in the postseason and he can't.

not sure tavares would waive for utah. though the mormon lifestyle seems to fit him. and it might actually be a fun place to play in their first year with all the excitement.

The teams lining up to take his high cap hit and low salary are not going to be desireable for him to continue his career and uproot his family.

His family is getting uprooted in 12 months anyway. He's done here, NMC or no. What he gets to decide is which organization is interested in extending him and where he gets to move.

He is a dynamic player who just doesn't work out with this group. Kadri left and became a cup winner. Almost any team with cap space should want him.
I've no doubt that some team would grab him if he went on the market. I wouldn't want him but plenty of teams would. But from a Leafs perspective he needs to go. Tavares needs to go because he's a spent force but Marner needs to go more urgently because he is a dressing room cancer.

Back