• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

One or two excuses & probably quite limited! The "ah fuck, here we go again" playoff thread

but there’s a chance Leafs clean house and replace current regime with an Old Boys Club GM

The new MLSE President isn't from the old boys club though. His first significant act as Pres was to stop letting Shanny and Masai skip organization meetings. Which seems like a small thing, but it's definitely him showing a willingness to put his dick on the table and let everyone know it's his show and at the end of the day they're both employees.

win tomorrow

lol

Serious question though. What are the expectations of them? If all 3 are top 25 in playoff point production over the last 6 playoffs and that's not good enough from them specifically, what's the expectation?
Their supporting cast sucks

the 4th member of the big 4 is a very expensive ghost which has been the chief reason for the first problem

The Blue line and goaltending are certified dogshit

the coach sucks

the gm/pres sucks at indentifying and adding the correct supporting cast

the media, has decided the stars are not good/soft/whatever ( Marner probably is, but the reason to move him is like 90% economic), fuck there was an actual discussion if Keefe was a Jack Adams candidate in March...

A hypothetical new president might even prefer the organization keeping Treliving in place, for the same reasons Treliving chose the coward’s way and kept Keefe in place.

You can extend your own grace period & tenure by having a ready-made scapegoat that you didn’t hire available to sacrifice in a few years time.
This is the most likely scenario unfortunately.

I don't know anything about Pelley, but if he's smart one of his litmus tests for new president will be:

"I'd like to observe Treliving for a year, he's fairly new to the position." -> OUT
"There's no more time for wasted seasons. I would clear house." - > IN

This is the most likely scenario unfortunately.

I don't know anything about Pelley, but if he's smart one of his litmus tests for new president will be:

"I'd like to observe Treliving for a year, he's fairly new to the position." -> OUT
"There's no more time for wasted seasons. I would clear house." - > IN
Pelley worked for Rogers, so he knows how to lay people off.

Def beat his son and screamed "faggot" at him when he missed a check energy
I hate children. Never wanted any and didn't have any. I live in a condo that forbids them. I switched gyms because the one I was at allowed kids. I took my business to an adults-only gym instead. If I could ban them from restaurants and airplanes I'd be in heaven. Educating Leafs fans is as close as I ever want to get to parenting.

Would track. Long career as a matchup defender is hard physically, wife has significant health problems, etc, etc. All the reasons for it are there.

But also, father time. Dude is almost 34. I made this argument before regarding other defenders (Muzzin). Most NHL'ers don't age gracefully. Brodie was the 12th oldest defender to average 20+mpg this season. 17th oldest if you extend that to 18mpg (a pretty decent analogue for "top 4")
I think it all comes back to the offseason. The olds need their training. He did none. Simple as that.

Guess next year will tell the tale though. Is he cooked? Did he just botch one offseason? or the zeketheory...

Been thinking about this quite a bit. These guys got spooked by a young team coming up short. They decided they had to surround their ultra talented guys with a lineup that was the complete opposite. Despite the teams that have had huge success playing run and gun in recent years (COL, PIT). Basically decided the media was right, which is terrifying.

We dumped all our speed and skill for slow, low event pluggers. I'm not saying Mikky, Kapanen, Hyman (who I was big wrong on), Giraffe, etc. were the perfect mix, but atleast they could burn. Any "toughness" you add better be able to skate like the wind. A team with Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly should be built for run and gun - double down on your strengths. This team sucks AND they're boring.

Last edited:
I hate children. Never wanted any and didn't have any. I live in a condo that forbids them. I switched gyms because the one I was at allowed kids. I took my business to an adults-only gym instead. If I could ban them from restaurants and airplanes I'd be in heaven. Educating Leafs fans is as close as I ever want to get to parenting.
nah, cries inside cause his son wanted a pink cupcake for his birthday

Yeah, the Foligno deal is where it tipped imo. It was the first time we went out and spent significant assets to address the deficiency of leadership/grit/defensive play at the cost of speed and skill.

Yeah, the Foligno deal is where it tipped imo. It was the first time we went out and spent significant assets to address the deficiency of leadership/grit/defensive play at the cost of speed and skill.
I think making the playoffs a year early hurt this team in hindsight as well.

It started the expectation train off and led to abandoning the current correct philosophy way too early and began the Foligno/Simmonds gud pro gritty shit train

Double down on your strengths.

Exactly this. If you want to prioritize guys who can do that while bringing sandpaper and shit, have at it. You think Engvall's a pussy and you'd rather a guy who does Engvall things but will hit, face wash after a whistle, etc? Sure. I'm not going to argue against that. But trading in Engvall for a smaller, bigger pussy in Jarnkrok, or simply bad players like Dewar, Reaves, etc....fuck everything about that.

I think making the playoffs a year early hurt this team in hindsight as well.

It started the expectation train off and led to abandoning the current correct philosophy way too early and began the Foligno/Simmonds gud pro gritty shit train
I blame the JT deal. Took us from young team figuring it out to fuck-you-must-win-now expectations, and management felt that pressure and changed course when it didn't happen in his first few years here.

Back