• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

One or two excuses & probably quite limited! The "ah fuck, here we go again" playoff thread

I'm just here to embrace the randomness and volatility of goaltending over a small playoff sample. I think any time we open our mouths too aggressively on goalie opinions it backfires.

I mean just a year ago LOF claimed samsonov. To his credit, he has sold his position for a loss. But not a huge loss.

absolutely...given the randomness, I like watching goalies who play the position methodically...ie last night, Woll was dialled in and I knew Boston would need a great shot to beat him

in contrast to Samsonov, who is less predictable play to play. he can make 5 great saves and then serve two muffins because he loses positioning or flubs an easy glove grab

Mindz ruins his own experience by not listening to me, taking his statsy analysis over my eye test, and then suffering the consequences.

It's cool, if I wait long enough you'll change your eye test and pretend you were right all along anyway.

absolutely...given the randomness, I like watching goalies who play the position methodically...ie last night, Woll was dialled in and I knew Boston would need a great shot to beat him

in contrast to Samsonov, who is less predictable play to play. he can make 5 great saves and then serve two muffins because he loses positioning or flubs an easy glove grab
For sure, I got one look at samsonov, even during his heater and my only thought was "nah I don't trust him." Not often I'm right about goaltending but I'll take a W on that. He had similar crippling mental issues in Washington too so I was working off some priors. That stuff doesn't just disappear usually.

Woll is a different animal. He's a Jesus freak like Reimer and Campbell but way more calming in his net and mentally stable. It's a nice combo. Not the most talented but if the leafs keep being this structured defensively you just need him to stop the low danger shots with consistency, and he absolutely can.

It's cool, if I wait long enough you'll change your eye test and pretend you were right all along anyway.
That's just the pain talking from facing the next 10 years of Knies and Woll making you thrilled and miserable at the same time.

Yup, Sammy is a scrambly mess who can make some incredible stops that partially make up for it. Has a hard time tracking pucks and shooters as well. Atrocious rebound control. Samsonov is playing his best when his rebounds just happen to not get pounded out into the middle of the ice too much. Woll is technically sound but can be a bit of a rebound machine when he's not playing well, struggles picking up pucks in his crease at time as well. Good athlete though and usually super quiet in net though, 100%. Dunno if he's a 1A though. Haven't seen him put it together for long enough at any level really.

Reactions: CH1
That's just the pain talking from facing the next 10 years of Knies and Woll making you thrilled and miserable at the same time.

Nah, at least one of them won't take a steep discount to stay in Toronto and you'll spend the next forever hating him and pretending you never really liked him anyway like a jilted ex girlfriend.

Yup, Sammy is a scrambly mess who can make some incredible stops that partially make up for it. Has a hard time tracking pucks and shooters as well. Atrocious rebound control. Samsonov is playing his best when his rebounds just happen to not get pounded out into the middle of the ice too much. Woll is technically sound but can be a bit of a rebound machine when he's not playing well, struggles picking up pucks in his crease at time as well. Good athlete though and usually super quiet in net though, 100%. Dunno if he's a 1A though. Haven't seen him put it together for long enough at any level really.
Sure you have. The NHL level.

Regular season - 36 games, .912.

Playoffs - 7 games, .933.

In the playoffs, goalies tend to get more help from their teammates clearing the crease.

Regular season - 36 games, .912.

36 games over 3 seasons.

1714765788834.png

and in his first run of games this year was a .907 which is okay but just okay. 25 games of .907 isn't the type of step forward I was hoping for after his really solid overall play last year in ~30 games.

I just want a single strong playoff run, don't care much for a 300 game sample or some shit at this point. Been awhile since I think a leafs goalie can provide that but I think he can. Key word, think.

For me health is my biggest question.

We've seen too many goalies with strong/average consistent 300+ game samples flop in the playoffs. If anything, being somewhat of an unknown could be seen as an advantage. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride. There are no guarantees. Hellebyuck, Vasi... So much volatility playoff by playoff in all these high ticket goalies.

We've seen too many goalies with strong/average consistent 300+ game samples flop in the playoffs. If anything, being somewhat of an unknown could be seen as an advantage. Just roll with it and enjoy the ride. There are no guarantees. Hellebyuck, Vasi... So much volatility playoff by playoff in all these high ticket goalies.
#assholes.

Ya never know what you're gonna get.

Back