• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

No no. You can't do that. You're doing the correlation = causation thing again and trying to explain something over a statistic that tells us very little about this particular diagnosis.. or at least you're JAQing off. If you're not looking at where the increase is coming from you are doing it very wrong. The general population trends tells us nothing about the prevalence of a particular diagnosis that only 1-3% of the world will receive in their entire lifetime.

You may have certain segments of the population that use tanning beds regularly or more than they used to, or sun tan more than they used to.. Or you may just have more lighter skinned folks living in hotter, sunnier areas than they used to (which is an actual thing that has happened too).

We know that excess UV exposure is the primary driver of melanoma. If the increase in melanoma extends to people who work indoors/people do don't travel and generally stay home often, then we can look at something else going on. But I don't think there is any evidence of that at the moment. Right now the primary driver of growth is women under 50 so we can all create our theories on why that is the case. Tanning bed and tanning culture is my bet to be one of the drivers. But it's just a guess really.
yeah, tanning beds were invented 53 years ago.

i dunno, i'm still stunned this is a debate really.

Can't believe mindz blames sunscreen for his skin condition.

Fun story. I used to think I just had a sun allergy. I would wear sunscreen, go in the sun and break out into blisters despite low sun exposure. Drove me nuts. Just used to really try to minimize my exposure, etc. Then got invited to a pool party, girl I wanted to mess with was going so I said fuck it, pain of the blisters tomorrow would be worth it. Put on sunscreen getting ready to go, my ride cancelled on me and I couldn't go....blistered up that night despite not going outside and the lightbulb went off. Narrowed it down to a compound in 99% of commercial sunscreens called oxybenzone. No oxybenzone in my sunscreen, no problem.

since Mindz is not speaking with his wife at this very moment and can't recommend a quality sunscreen option, I am reverting to second hand Ms Presto knowledge and going with this product...which is apparently very popular in Japan!!

1704828615970.png

I like this debate. I'm learning. I like learning. And I'm free today in the middle of a shitty snowstorm that I definitely won't get melanoma from.

since Mindz is not speaking with his wife at this very moment and can't recommend a quality sunscreen option, I am reverting to second hand Ms Presto knowledge and going with this product...which is apparently very popular in Japan!!

View attachment 19003

and they call me blindz....ffs

I use pevonia personally. I'm allergic to a compound that's common in the normal drugstore sunscreens. I'll see if I can find a link.

Motherfucker.

Fun story. I used to think I just had a sun allergy. I would wear sunscreen, go in the sun and break out into blisters despite low sun exposure. Drove me nuts. Just used to really try to minimize my exposure, etc. Then got invited to a pool party, girl I wanted to mess with was going so I said fuck it, pain of the blisters tomorrow would be worth it. Put on sunscreen getting ready to go, my ride cancelled on me and I couldn't go....blistered up that night despite not going outside and the lightbulb went off. Narrowed it down to a compound in 99% of commercial sunscreens called oxybenzone. No oxybenzone in my sunscreen, no problem.

can't believe you blamed the sun for your sunscreen poisoning!

More people spend indoors than ever, yet travel is at all-time highs. Does that example help? Your very basic analysis just doesn't work at all to prove anything. It does not prove that tanning bed behavior has dropped or outdoor tanning habits have dropped. It doesn't prove anything really in the context of a melanoma diagnosis.

people spend more time indoors than they used to even when they travel!

I really do think you have it backwards - behaviorally speaking (and environmentally, given the increase in ozone layer) we should have less skin cancer.

*****BREAKING
Owned by Kao Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, the Bioré brand made its United Kingdom debut in 1998 and we continue to lean into our Japanese beauty heritage to this day. SAFE INGREDIENTS - This sunscreen is oil free and oxybenzone and octinoxate free as well as formulated for sensitive skin.

*****BREAKING
Owned by Kao Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, the Bioré brand made its United Kingdom debut in 1998 and we continue to lean into our Japanese beauty heritage to this day. SAFE INGREDIENTS - This sunscreen is oil free and oxybenzone and octinoxate free as well as formulated for sensitive skin.

There you go, and it's probably not 70 bucks a bottle like my shit would be if I didn't get wifey's wholesale pricing on it.

Reactions: CH1
Back