• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Thanks to zeke I've learned a lot today. And tbh the scariest thing I've learned is how dangerous those tanning beds are. Even very occasional use makes your melanoma risk fucking skyrocket. That might help explain why melanoma has been fairly stable in all demos lately except women under 50. But glad to see tanning bed hysteria start to fade a bit (I think?).

I'm now assuming that tanning beds, etc. have had a great influence in the evolution of the walking, talking asshole that goes by the name Trump.

nah dog. vaccines teach your body to fight invaders.
It's a layer of defense that is not impenetrable but is damn good! At least the measles one is.. The covid one is junk and we changed the definition after we realized that. This was a troll, relax.

Just like sunscreen though! Risks increase with all diseases, including melanoma as exposure time increases. With our without a vaccine or sunscreen

p.s. asians don't wear creams for health they do it because they want to be as white as possible. indonesia is the biggest cosmetics consumer in the world and it's mostly whitening creams.
India too. The caste system is still a thing there. The lighter skinned you are, the more worth you have as a person. I don't know if Indian society was always this way or if it's a remnant of British colonial rule but the rule seems to be "the more white, the more all right".

Of course it's not for health, never said it was.

Btw skin cancer rates amongst the highest consumer of sunscreen, Asians, in the US is significantly lower than it is for whites. Just fyi. It's about a 20-25 fold difference. They may not do it for health but it sure seems to have a positive impact.
I see many Asian women walking around with umbrellas on sunny days. Either that or straw hats with yuge brims.

It's a layer of defense that is not impenetrable but is damn good! At least the measles one is.. The covid one is junk and we changed the definition after we realized that. This was a troll, relax.

Just like sunscreen though! Risks increase with all diseases, including melanoma as exposure time increases. With our without a vaccine or sunscreen

A skin cancer vaccine would teach your body how to produce more melanin.

I see many Asian women walking around with umbrellas on sunny days. Either that or straw hats with yuge brims.
I thought zeke said that sunscreen specifically causes cancer at first, fyi. So that was my mistake. I think what he's saying instead is that sun cures cancer, or that a lack of sun causes it. That was mb.

again... a lot of people in the age range who are getting diagnosed, actively didn't use sunscreen in the 70s.

every single friend's mom i know tells me their baby oil/reflector stories.
Exactly. In the 70's, people didn't use "sunscreen", they used "tanning" or "sunbathing" oils. They used them to enhance the effects of the sun, not shield their skin from them.

It addresses the point that people who spend more times indoors aren't making up the bulk of the cancer rates. Since they're at significantly decreased risk to those who spend more time outdoors. So the increase is more likely from the tanners, instagram models, tanning salon goers, etc. And not the tech engineer that hasn't left his closet in 13 years. I thought your argument was that excessive UV exposure does not cause cancer and if it wasn't I apologize.

But I will concede the point that prior to sunscreen we may have had a time limit on how long we could spend in the sun. With the products now we can be outside all day every single day of the week. And sunscreen is not 100% protective at all, nor is it often applied properly. So sure, that can be a factor to rates increasing. One of many possible theories.
The sun is more damaging today than it was 50 years ago. Climate change is killing the planet so it is becoming more and more inhospitable to human life.

what is zeke even arguing? just that he doesn't like sunscreen cause it interferes with his annual operation bronze god?
zeke is George Hamilton.

MV5BNzQ1Y2FiNzEtZmJmOS00MDhlLTkwZmYtOTNlMjE5OWVkODA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjM2ODYwMQ@@._V1_.jpg

;)

I feel bad for you poor pasty fucks.

22639.jpeg
More Brits can afford to get scorched while sitting by a pool in Spain or Portugal nowadays than they could back in the 70's when their only affordable vacation option was a Butlin's campground on some wind swept, rainy field near the North Sea.

Back