• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

I have a bit of a theory. Curious to test it out on the FI crowd...

my theory is that people who actually watched the debate live are generally more concerned about Biden's ongoing candidacy than folks who did not.

zeke, you clearly watched live. curious about other folks.

I'll admit that I did not watch it live - I've seen some replays etc. but don't think that captures all of it. and am wondering if I am blissfully naive having not witnessed that display...
I would give it five minutes here and there but had to stop. It was honestly very hard to watch Joe. Then I'd try again thinking he'd miraculously gain some coherency but nope, still the same. I was on and off throughout the entire thing but mostly because of my own tolerance; it was like sticking with a leafs game when they're down 9-0. And I've seen some signs/clips of him genuinely losing it publicly prior to that but I thought he'd still be able to at least debate.

He was so damn strong in 2020 so it was a tough fucking watch.

I watched part of it live and the main thing I was looking for was which tag line was going to be pushed: "Biden on drugs" or "Biden is cognitively impaired"

yah see I did not watch the debate and as a result I think I'm less terrified of Biden continuing on than folks that did. but that also speaks to how awful his debate performance was.

I really don't know what the best path forward is. but the stakes are so damn high.

If he loses as much cognitive ability in the next 4 years as he did in the past 4 years, it's gonna be a very very ugly term for him if he wins. I know the loss of cognition isn't linear so you never really know but I'm not sure it's best to take that risk. Politics aside, and ignoring what would actually give them Dems the best chance, this is how I feel about it.

It almost feels like an invasion of privacy to watch him have these moments that he should be having privately with his family.

If he loses as much cognitive ability in the next 4 years as he did in the past 4 years, it's gonna be a very very ugly term for him if he wins. I know the loss of cognition isn't linear so you never really know but I'm not sure it's best to take that risk. Politics aside, and ignoring what would actually give them Dems the best chance, this is how I feel about it.

It almost feels like an invasion of privacy to watch him have these moments that he should be having privately with his family.

I honestly dunno how anyone can say this when it's relative to a Trump term though?

Like how will a Biden term actually be uglier than democracy crumbling?

I honestly dunno how anyone can say this when it's relative to a Trump term though?

Like how will a Biden term actually be uglier than democracy crumbling?
Ugly term for him and his public image. Not for Americans. Of course I'd still vote for him. But that doesn't make it easy to watch a guy in real time literally losing his once very sharp mind. It's just tough for me to watch. Reminds me of a lot of some family members decline that hit around that age. It almost geels wrong to watch because he really shouldn't be holding this job at this age.

(And yes I know, the same goes for trump, but I don't support his candidacy either)

Ugly term for him and his public image. Not for Americans. Of course I'd still vote for him. But that doesn't make it easy to watch a guy in real time literally losing his once very sharp mind. It's just tough for me to watch. Reminds me of a lot of some family members decline that hit around that age. It almost geels wrong to watch because he really shouldn't be holding this job at this age.

(And yes I know, the same goes for trump, but I don't support his candidacy either)
If I'm working at 80 it is because dictator trump is making me

"Talk about the threats. Constantly. Talk about the solutions. Constantly. If you’re in, fine, but stop tailoring every single communication to the battle over whether you should stay or go"

Yeah, this. And if they replace Biden and don't talk about the threats and solutions 24/7 and just go on defensive re: whatever they drag the replacement with, they're just gonna have the same issue imo.

it was shocking. i don't know how else to describe it. he could barely talk and barely string two sentences together. and somehow he looked even worse when he wasn't talking.

Yep. 10 seconds in and I was like “we’re fucked”

View: https://x.com/akarl_smith/status/1810356996706627784

GR-t_Mea4AAjrpf

Back