• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

The core of my argument is not that another candidate will 100% outperform Biden. I don't think that's a lock at all and truthfully don't know that. It's that if Biden is already behind, I don't love his odds of coming back and beating Trump compared to someone else coming back and beating Trump, even if they start at a lower point. August-September is when running a proper campaign really matters and I'm under the belief that literally any other potential dem nominee can do a better job than Biden.

But if forumice is right and Biden is already way ahead then obviously you keep him in the lineup and hope he doesn't trip on his dick too much. He's still a decent reader so give him some scripts, teleprompters, PEDs, anything you need to get him to the finish line.

That's all.
How often do parties replace their nominee because they’re behind in the polls in July?

concerns about Joe's ability to effectively campaign are IMO different (and more valid) than concerns about his governance. and honestly I share some of them after his debate performance.

concerns about Joe's ability to effectively campaign are IMO different (and more valid) than concerns about his governance. and honestly I share some of them after his debate performance.

I never said anything about his ability to govern. He’s done a great job.

That's not what I'm saying at all...
it’s a relevant question given the approach you just outlined. Other candidates trail in July for reasons too. Do their parties punt them at the convention for people who don’t have the same issue?

has anyone suggested this though?

I think we just disagree in terms of what we think is going to happen the next couple months re: the democratic nomination.

I think it will be Biden, I know you think Biden will gracefully step aside. we won't know who is right for another month or two.

there are pros and cons to both Biden remaining, and withdrawing.

all of the above seems reasonable to me..., no?

Not if you're maga like CH1

I never thought my prediction was even remotely bold until I posted it here
It's not unique at all. Which to your point, is part of the problem. We can argue about whether he's competent enough to be president till we're blue in the face but what matters is public perception. And right now, the public opinion is quite obvious, right or left.

I’d encounter less resistance if I suggested Matthews should be traded for futures.

Nope. I’m not a cognitive expert. I never said he lost his mind.. . Only that it appears that he might be losing his mind.

Optics matter. Like I said, I’m not a cognitive expert. And neither are 99.8% of voters

But like 60 percent think they are a cognitive expert.

But if forumice is right and Biden is already way ahead then obviously you keep him in the lineup and hope he doesn't trip on his dick too much.

That's all.

I've been planning to lay out exactly why and how I think polling is fucked at the moment but here's the main points in super broad strokes.

1) Flooding the zone is a thing. We know they tried it in 2020, and we know they've redoubled their efforts in 2024. An entire bullshit industrial complex of right wing polling firms have popped up since 2016. This fucks up the poll aggregators when they willingly or not let bullshit data into their averages. Something I've noticed in the last few years is that aggregators like 538 who used to track the quality of polling agencies by their accuracy in predicting the outcome of the election they were polling, have stopped doing that.

2) This is made important because MoE is a thing that can be jobbed if you don't give a fuck about accuracy. Run a truly excellent poll with a ton of effort made to remove various sampling biases and you're still looking at a 2% MoE. But people kind of misunderstand what a 2% MoE means. A full 2% shift in one direction is really 4% off. 51/49 turning into 53/47 is technically within the 2% MoE but that's a pretty massive move that is actually a 4 point swing in total. Fwiw, the MoE I'm seeing in most of the polls I've looked at recently are in the 2.5% range. If you were so inclined you could easily massage your polling numbers to show Trump +3 out of data that if unmassaged was actually a dead heat or even up to Biden +2. It's a fairly easy thing to do as well when you understand sampling bias and how (or how not to) control for it...which leads us to:

3) Landline data collecting is still the backbone of the industry. I'm serious. When was the last time you met someone who still had a landline? Who are these fucking people? We know who they are. They're old and white. Which is fine. Some of my favourite people are old and white. But when you look at the cross tabs, old and white are the only demos where the data doesn't seem to generate some massive fuckiness. Like the mail in poll data I showed yesterday that showed 18-29 year olds going 20 points over to the GOP since 2020 and with 41% of the overall poll respondents claiming to not have voted in the 2020 election. At what point does the craziness break your sample of less than 500 people? This was a poll used for the weighting of other polls ffs. Which leads me into my last main point:

4) The 2020 census was fucked. Everyone involved in it knows it was fucked. The data is shit. Minorities were heavily under counted, white home owners over counted by like 2-4% depending on where you were. All....all of the population modeling the polling agencies use to underpin their data collection is based on 2020 census data.

1720547311474.png

So yes, I know this seems like wishful thinking but it's wishful thinking in the way of going into a 7 game series as the team with the lower xG but thinking you're still actually the better team because you know the flaws in xG and how your goaltending is way better and you generate way more slot shots, have better special teams, etc and xG isn't properly capturing the story.

I've been planning to lay out exactly why and how I think polling is fucked at the moment but here's the main points in super broad strokes.

1) Flooding the zone is a thing. We know they tried it in 2020, and we know they've redoubled their efforts in 2024. An entire bullshit industrial complex of right wing polling firms have popped up since 2016. This fucks up the poll aggregators when they willingly or not let bullshit data into their averages. Something I've noticed in the last few years is that aggregators like 538 who used to track the quality of polling agencies by their accuracy in predicting the outcome of the election they were polling, have stopped doing that.

2) This is made important because MoE is a thing that can be jobbed if you don't give a fuck about accuracy. Run a truly excellent poll with a ton of effort made to remove various sampling biases and you're still looking at a 2% MoE. But people kind of misunderstand what a 2% MoE means. A full 2% shift in one direction is really 4% off. 51/49 turning into 53/47 is technically within the 2% MoE but that's a pretty massive move that is actually a 4 point swing in total. Fwiw, the MoE I'm seeing in most of the polls I've looked at recently are in the 2.5% range. If you were so inclined you could easily massage your polling numbers to show Trump +3 out of data that if unmassaged was actually a dead heat or even up to Biden +2. It's a fairly easy thing to do as well when you understand sampling bias and how (or how not to) control for it...which leads us to:

3) Landline data collecting is still the backbone of the industry. I'm serious. When was the last time you met someone who still had a landline? Who are these fucking people? We know who they are. They're old and white. Which is fine. Some of my favourite people are old and white. But when you look at the cross tabs, old and white are the only demos where the data doesn't seem to generate some massive fuckiness. Like the mail in poll data I showed yesterday that showed 18-29 year olds going 20 points over to the GOP since 2020 and with 41% of the overall poll respondents claiming to not have voted in the 2020 election. At what point does the craziness break your sample of less than 500 people? This was a poll used for the weighting of other polls ffs. Which leads me into my last main point:

4) The 2020 census was fucked. Everyone involved in it knows it was fucked. The data is shit. Minorities were heavily under counted, white home owners over counted by like 2-4% depending on where you were. All....all of the population modeling the polling agencies use to underpin their data collection is based on 2020 census data.

View attachment 21132

So yes, I know this seems like wishful thinking but it's wishful thinking in the way of going into a 7 game series as the team with the lower xG but thinking you're still actually the better team because you know the flaws in xG and how your goaltending is way better and you generate way more slot shots, have better special teams, etc and xG isn't properly capturing the story.
If you're right then we all win. So I hope you're right! I'm not gonna argue for or against any of this as my arguments are more if-then statements.

If Biden is already behind, then there's little reason to keep him in the lineup because it's fair to question is ability to run an inspiring campaign and gain a huge surplus of votes that he may require.

If Biden is way ahead, then there's a good case to keep him and feed him all the PEDs in the world (or stunt doubles!) to ensure he does not blow the lead heading into the final stretch.

Another thing Lichtman said is that if Biden is going to drop out of the race, he should resign the presidency right now as well. Why pretend you can run the country if you can’t run a campaign. And vice versa.

I think it’s a good point and also another reason why it’s unlikely Biden drops out of the race.

The only, only reason to replace Biden is if Dems have internal polling that shows 1) Biden is actually losing & 2) One of the obvious candidates can win.
Just imagine the infighting though. The primaries are over, how are they going to choose a successor? Internal polls?

Harris is the only person the party could realistically rally around, just because she’s next in line technically, and I bet if faced with the choice of Biden or Harris, a lot of party insiders would prefer to just stick with Biden. Even if he’s a corpse.

The core of my argument is not that another candidate will 100% outperform Biden. I don't think that's a lock at all and truthfully don't know that. It's that if Biden is already behind, I don't love his odds of coming back and beating Trump compared to someone else coming back and beating Trump, even if they start at a lower point. August-September is when running a proper campaign really matters and I'm under the belief that literally any other potential dem nominee can do a better job than Biden.

But if forumice is right and Biden is already way ahead then obviously you keep him in the lineup and hope he doesn't trip on his dick too much. He's still a decent reader so give him some scripts, teleprompters, PEDs, anything you need to get him to the finish line.

That's all.
I can’t read any of your shit anymore. Can’t you just admit that Biden has the functioning mind and body of a 22 year old Rhodes scholar and star athlete, is the best candidate, and will for sure win?

You’re just delaying the inevitable.

Back