• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

it's not game 7 amigo.... most Americans are spending more time perfecting their grilling than watching every presser, game 1 starts in mid September

Our difference of opinion basically comes down to me thinking that there's lots of time left in the election season.

Like I said before, this ain't the 50s where candidates need to build their profile town by town attending apple bake competitions and ribbon cutting ceremonies at steel mills. Nobody cares about the old timey shit.....that's one reason Hillary lost (and we're now in this mess). She campaigned like it was 1957.

In this scenario you take for granted to a huge amount of actual voters, it may as well be 1957.

This:

Voter_Turnout_by_Sex_and_Age%2C_2008_US_Presidential_Election.png

Suggests otherwise.

You can't risk alienating like 40% of the electorate because you think you'll energize the kids with IG and TikTok videos so they can get to know Josh Shapiro better in 90 days.

In this scenario you take for granted to most actual voters, it may as well be 1957.

This:

Suggests otherwise.

You can't risk alienating like 40% of the electorate because you think you'll energize the kids with IG and TikTok videos so they can get to know Josh Shapiro better.

it's not about Tik Tok or social media, it's (mostly) about tv news which was quite scarce until 1980 (the advent of CNN)

before that, each candidate probably had 7 mins per night to sway voters during the political chunk of the national news

different game, different rules, accelerated triumphs (and defeats)

In this scenario you take for granted to a huge amount of actual voters, it may as well be 1957.

This:

Suggests otherwise.

You can't risk alienating like 40% of the electorate because you think you'll energize the kids with IG and TikTok videos so they can get to know Josh Shapiro better in 90 days.
My concern is that if you're right and we're in game 7, the next 4 weeks or so are gonna continue to be all about whether Biden will drop out or not as opposed to the actual issues.

I would assume that once mid-august rolls around that speculation will be over and the show really begins.

i dunno - the opposition handing the dems a ready made thorough on-point message on a platter seems pretty suspicious to me.

I smell a conspiracy.

"Never interrupt your adversary when they're making a mistake"

- Sun Tzu

"Or interrupt them and just blame the jews"

- Also Sun Tzu

My concern is that if you're right and we're in game 7, the next 4 weeks or so are gonna continue to be all about whether Biden will drop out or not as opposed to the actual issues.

I would assume that once mid-august rolls around that speculation will be over and the show really begins.

narrator: we're not in game 7. this is pre-season.

This:

Suggests otherwise.

you're conflating the age people were born with how those people consume their news today! Old people love cable news more than anyone. They watch it around the clock. That's why every second ad is about high blood pressure meds or wheelchairs

I think CH1 makes a good point but an honest mistake. I don't think he's wrong about a lot of voters not really paying attention to this nearly as much as the perenially online twitter class and the ~15 million or so who make up cable news channels viewership. A lot of olds vote, but most of them aren't really part of all of this perpetual chatter. "Biden is old" isn't going to be a super persuasive argument with them when they do check in around mid Sept-early Oct. I just don't think you're going to penetrate their universe with a new face when they do check in, and I don't think "he farts dust" is a reason they won't vote for someone.

Last edited:
Old people love cable news more than anyone. They watch it around the clock. That's why every second ad is about high blood pressure meds or wheelchairs

Except they don't.

1720751381159.png

1720751418536.png

Cable news represents the real world of the olds less than twitter does for the rest of us. There's like 100 million of them, and less than 10% of them show up to watch the news.

Except they don't.

View attachment 21185

View attachment 21186

Cable news represents the real world of the olds less than twitter does for the rest of us. There's like 100 million of them, and less than 10% of them show up to watch the news.

that chart seems to say that the plus 55 cohort makes up over 50% of the cable news audience

I agree that information gathering is fragmented -- that just strengthens my argument that you don't need to slog for years on the campaign trail to build a profile. There are so many ways to do it now.

that chart says the plus 55 cohort make up over 50% of the cable news audience

Sorry, I didn't present that clear. The first bit is a screen grab showing Fox's nightly ratings (2 million). The bottom is the total americans at each age group. They're not a combined graph, that's two different screen grabs.

There are ~100 million Americans 55+, and 2 million prime time fox viewers. A literal pittance.

Not all olds are fox viewers, but all fox viewers are old (thus the barrage of advertising aimed at the olds?

Back