• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

This is trumps chance to grab voters who find him obscene. If he's conciliatory it'll play well.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I don't think there are undecideds out there who will be moved by this. We might see a small bump over a short period as some people who had been Maga and were disenchanted get energized by this but I don't think its moving anyone in his direction who wasn't already in the proximity

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I don't think there are undecideds out there who will be moved by this. We might see a small bump over a short period as some people who had been Maga and were disenchanted get energized by this but I don't think its moving anyone in his direction who wasn't already in the proximity
I hope you're right.

I don't think a 20 yr old registered republican taking a shot at him in July is why someone will vote for him in November. Just too much craziness is going to happen between now and then imo

I think this might underplay the power of the optics & amazing visual propaganda he gets coming out of this.

Is a marketing dream come true.

Fwiw, I just took a quick rip through the right wing message board echosystem and here's the major takeaways:

- Trump's fist pump was bad ass
- They now apparently believe in stochastic terrorism after it was their guy who got shot at. The entire movement laughed at everything the left/democrats brought up as potentially dangerous for years now.
- They move pretty easily between it being stochastic terrorism and a direct democrat plot.
- Explaining away the Paul Pelosi attack with the weird gay lover conspiracy theories because they couldn't possibly accept that Trump mocked the victim of political violence not that long ago...
- A couple conspiratorial angles about the the secret service allowing this to happen. A fun one is that the snipers weren't part of the USSS detail and instead were democrat/state police (because we all know how liberal police departments are in blue states!!!) snipers.
- Multiple message boards and not a single thread naming the shooter, but they do have a conspiracy theory about him being an undercover leftist who only registered republican to vote for Nikki Haley/against Trump
- The few people with a functioning clue about how protective snipers work get shouted down

Fwiw, I just took a quick rip through the right wing message board echosystem and here's the major takeaways:

- Trump's fist pump was bad ass
- They now apparently believe in stochastic terrorism after it was their guy who got shot at. The entire movement laughed at everything the left/democrats brought up as potentially dangerous for years now.
- They move pretty easily between it being stochastic terrorism and a direct democrat plot.
- Explaining away the Paul Pelosi attack with the weird gay lover conspiracy theories because they couldn't possibly accept that Trump mocked the victim of political violence not that long ago...
- A couple conspiratorial angles about the the secret service allowing this to happen. A fun one is that the snipers weren't part of the USSS detail and instead were democrat/state police (because we all know how liberal police departments are in blue states!!!) snipers.
- Multiple message boards and not a single thread naming the shooter, but they do have a conspiracy theory about him being an undercover leftist who only registered republican to vote for Nikki Haley/against Trump
- The few people with a functioning clue about how protective snipers work get shouted down

- it’s all women’s fault, there shouldn’t be any women in his Secret Service detail.

I think this might underplay the power of the optics & amazing visual propaganda he gets coming out of this.

Is a marketing dream come true.

Which will be cheapened by seeing it on t-shirts and shit all over the place.

Is there a risk that it nudges the needle in swing states? Sure, can't rule it out. But the country is so fucking polarized. Very few people are going to have 8 years of their lived experience changed by this.

- it’s all women’s fault, there shouldn’t be any women in his Secret Service detail.

Yeah sorry. Missed all the DEI shit in there. Though that seems to be down the page for them as it seems like a secondary issue to the USSS being in on the attempt on Donnie's life.

I think the conspiracy is that this shooter is a democrat who only "registered" republican to vote in the primary to screw with the results as he donated $15 to a dem charity or something.

I think the conspiracy is that this shooter is a democrat who only "registered" republican to vote in the primary to screw with the results as he donated $15 to a dem charity or something.

Except he registered as a republican the same week he turned 18, nowhere near a primary.

Back