• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

and i'm not saying there's another good dem candidate who will necessarily do better than Biden. but his physical slippage is the only reason he's not comfortably in the lead right now imo.

That's probably fair. But then the core problem is that the Dems need to recognize that and circle the fucking wagons, get on point with their messaging and prop him up where they can. Not circle Biden and pull the knives out.

I’ll worry about the polls and whether they’re real in October. Summer polling in presidential election years is not very predictive.

Big picture, Trump lost to Biden last time, now the incumbent advantage (which is yuge) is with the other guy, and I really don’t think Trump has done anything in the last 4 years to build his constituency.

Is it really the incumbent advantage when Trump is also an incumbent

IMO, a big part of incumbent advantage is the fear of the unknown

Also helps if your incumbent isn’t being undermined every single day from members of his own team

I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure 2/3 of democrats and his closest party allies didn’t want him to step aside for Bernie.
from 2019:

A lot of rank-and-file voters do have concerns about Biden’s age. An NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll in February found that 62 percent of voters had reservations about voting for someone aged 75 or older. Other polls have also shown advanced age to be a concern among Democrats, Republicans and independents alike.

Natural human instinct for people to believe that things were "better before." I hear it every day in the GTA. Hell, we hear it every day from LOF! I've always feared that a decently large group of people will be voting based on their beliefs that 2016-2020 was better than the last 4 years, however true it may be (the pandemic may make that true for many folks).

IMO, a big part of incumbent advantage is the fear of the unknown

Also helps if your incumbent isn’t being undermined every single day from members of his own team
at the very least then, having both campaign as incumbents would cancel each other out.

if you're saying Trump is an incumbent, by replacing Biden, you're giving the full benefits of incumbency to Trump (using this logic)

When the other incumbent already lost to this incumbent....I'd suggest that yes it is still an advantage.

On the team part...I agree entirely. But this is that whole bit about not trusting the democrats to not bottle this. If they can bottle an excellent 4 year record because of an oldmaggedon that doesn't seem to actually exist in good polling data, they can badly bottle changing pitchers in the 6th inning.

Natural human instinct for people to believe that things were "better before." I hear it every day in the GTA. Hell, we hear it every day from LOF! I've always feared that a decently large group of people will be voting based on their beliefs that 2016-2020 was better than the last 4 years, however true it may be (the pandemic may make that true for many folks).
yah never underestimate the powers of the feels. and I have no idea how to align feels closer to reality.

Having religiously driven politics get involved in your healthcare = pearl clutching
Don't get me started again on the theocratic bullshit that has seeped into, and continues to do so, our politics. My #1 voting issue currently. Fuck the other policies as single topic voters when much of it comes from theocratic idiocy. That's the salient issue.

at the very least then, having both campaign as incumbents would cancel each other out.

Exactly. I’m not the one giving Biden the incumbent advantage. I think it’s meaningless to keep mentioning it as a factor

yah never underestimate the powers of the feels. and I have no idea how to align feels closer to reality.
The actual issues are secondary to a lot of things. Though the abortion issue and women support are things that could tip the scales. This election really should be a gimme for the Dems for that reason alone, but it's way too close for comfort.

On the team part...I agree entirely. But this is that whole bit about not trusting the democrats to not bottle this. If they can bottle an excellent 4 year record because of an oldmaggedon that doesn't seem to actually exist in good polling data, they can badly bottle changing pitchers in the 6th inning.

This is the 6th inning of what exactly?

The second game of an August doubleheader?

Back