• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

You’re conflating the time to pick someone (had to happen before a convention date that has nothing to do with our different opinions) and time for that person to build a profile (oodles of time for that according to me, you kept cross tabbing polls until they all showed Joe winning)

Because those things are deeply, deeply related.

Wasn’t difficult to see that coming.

Obama as well, obviously, was illegitimate. And the 12th amendment dates back to 1803, so I wouldn’t be surprised if a parents of one of those old timey Presidents was born in England or something like that. So, I guess, if Eastman is right, Thomas Jefferson was an illegitimate President too.

Also I want to laugh at “constitutional scholar John Eastman” but also think this case might get some support at SCOTUS.

Because those things are deeply, deeply related.

as someone who 100% wanted Biden off the ticket, I obviously wanted it done ASAP... but was not yet afraid the replacement wouldn't have enough time to build a strong enough story to vanquish Trump

you went from "it's already too late" to "maybe it'll be ok if they do it tomorrow"

Kelly would be a good move to offer a job in the executive. His seat isn't for for re election until 2028 and Arizona has a Dem governor (Hobbs), and she would get to pick Kelly's replacement.
Plus a ticket of a prosecutor and an astronaut would be fun. Too elitist for MAGA probably.

you went from "it's already too late" to "maybe it'll be ok if they do it tomorrow"

I expected stupidity in the process and for it to get dragged out. I was wrong and am extremely thankful that I was wrong.

but was not yet afraid the replacement wouldn't have enough time to build a strong enough story to vanquish Trump

It's not just a story though, I've already said my piece on why I think that's a mistake. It's also the election machine, that you only inherit some of from the DNC after you're named the Nom. That's a huge part of the primary process. The fund raising and team building. It's why the primaries start 10-11 months before the election, and prepping for even just a half assed run at the primaries takes a few months of fund raising, finding a campaign chair worth their ass, etc.

Kamala inheriting the Biden machinery is why this is so easy. Josh Shapiro or Whitmen would have to be building their shit from more or less the ground up and trying to synch in with national DNC assets they have minimal direct experience. And they would be starting ~ 90 days before the election.

I expected stupidity in the process and for it to get dragged out. I was wrong and am extremely thankful that I was wrong.

It's not just a story though, I've already said my piece on why I think that's a mistake. It's also the election machine, that you only inherit some of from the DNC after you're named the Nom. That's a huge part of the primary process. The fund raising and team building. It's why the primaries start 10-11 months before the election, and prepping for even just a half assed run at the primaries takes a few months of fund raising, finding a campaign chair worth their ass, etc.

Kamala inheriting the Biden machinery is why this is so easy. Josh Shapiro or Whitmen would have to be building their shit from more or less the ground up and trying to synch in with national DNC assets they have minimal direct experience. And they would be starting ~ 90 days before the election.

I get that concern...that Dems would bottle it up....but the Dems are nor as "Leafy" as feared here. They've won 3 of the last 4 general elections....over performed at the midterms...and more importantly, have, for a long time now, seemed pretty fucking united and focused on the task at hand. It took Trump to get them working together.

They spent an actual generation (not a political generation) ignoring the state houses, getting gerrymandered nearly to death across the country, losing the Presidency to a rapist that has never cracked 47% of the popular vote, losing SCOTUS and getting a bunch of foundational legislation overturned (including Roe). They're not near as competent as your portraying. Their overperformance in 2022 is a direct result of losing SCOTUS and Roe.

Some of them have figured it out and are course correcting, but a lot of the same people who got them in this situation are still calling shots. I'm glad they stopped cutting their own throat this month before it was fatal though, sure.

I was expecting Dems to eat their own with a bitter race to fight for the nomination. The fact that it's switching pretty damn cleanly is weird to see.

Especially when documents on twitter started dropping talking about open conventions and Oprah judging something and 'omg imagine how much attention and momentum doing it like a game show would get!'. It was all fucking tragic. This, so far has been best best case scenario when just a few days ago the talk was "we don't want to just coronate Kamala if Joe steps aside". No. You do want to coronate her, this is exactly what that looks like. 50 million, 40K enthusiastic black women on a organizing and strategy call within 12 hours and Trump's campaign walking around dazed and shitting themselves.

I was expecting Dems to eat their own with a bitter race to fight for the nomination. The fact that it's switching pretty damn cleanly is weird to see.
I think if I were Newsom or one of them, I’d want to have my initial stab at the presidency be part of a non-crazy situation and preferably not going against this mythical beast and whatever dark command he has of the elements. Lots of early hype over Kamala today, but she still has a hill to climb against the kookie monster that $50m is not going to do much to achieve. So I wonder how much interest one of the bigger names actually even had in diving into this shitshow midstream.

Especially when documents on twitter started dropping talking about open conventions and Oprah judging something and 'omg imagine how much attention and momentum doing it like a game show would get!'. It was all fucking tragic. This, so far has been best best case scenario when just a few days ago the talk was "we don't want to just coronate Kamala if Joe steps aside". No. You do want to coronate her, this is exactly what that looks like. 50 million, 40K enthusiastic black women on a organizing and strategy call within 12 hours and Trump's campaign walking around dazed and shitting themselves.
It may have been the only realistic option. We’ll find out if it’ll work or if maybe zombie Joe should’ve just stayed in place like he wanted.

Kamala has to focus 90 percent of her effort to women and to leverage biden’s pro union message to keep middle America onboard - Biden has a lot of very favourable policies (border, unions, infrastructure and green etc). Leverage the fuck out of them + show she is not losing her mind like the other two old men that are/were in the race.

The extreme left will either sit at home or come abroad - very little she can likely do to energize them. Most of them just follow the twitter leaders/pro nazi bots. Plus a lot of them live in heavy democratic states.

Focus on the women, union workers and moderate dems. Bang shot is getting the moderate republics to sit home this election if she can make the argument (doing it well) that trump is the next hitler without the death camps.

Back