• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Don’t think even the people who thought a switch would go smoothly thought Newsom and co would immediately back Kamala, not even try for the nom and that states’ delegates would pledge for her on the same day he dropped out. We were talking mini primaries and town halls and stuff.

In addition to presenting new concerns from lawmakers and updates on a fundraising operation that had slowed considerably, they carried the campaign’s own polls, which came back this week and showed his path to victory in November was gone, according to five people familiar with the matter, who, like others interviewed for this article, were granted anonymity to discuss private conversations.
It wasn’t that the president had grown tired of the drip of defections from within his own party — although he had. Rather, it was that Biden himself was finally convinced of what so many other Democrats had come to believe since his poor debate performance last month: He couldn’t win.

When the campaign commissioned new battleground polling over the last week, it was the first time they had done surveys in some key states in more than two months, according to two people familiar with the surveys. And the numbers were grim, showing Biden not just trailing in all six critical swing states but collapsing in places like Virginia and New Mexico where Democrats had not planned on needing to spend massive resources to win.

Gosh bless the polls! Crisp, clean, accurate data all along.

I'm not blind to the concern and issues with running Joe. But again, I look at the best data I've come across on this and the average voter hasn't shown themselves to be nearly as concerned about it as the chattering classes online are. Then we find out today that the big "voters are super concerned about Biden's age" data point was generated by a Trump pollster. Which doesn't mean that people don't have enough sense to realize that he's old AF, just that it doesn't change their voting intention nearly as much as some seem to want to suggest it should.

Far more damaging than the debate has been the last 3 weeks of trying to push Joe's wheelchair down a flight of steps publicly.
Joe’s polling post-debate is the best of any incumbent in decades

ehhh...that's not what an insurrection is. Biden is stepping down as nominee. Under pressure yeah, but it's his choice. He could have decided to stay and no one had the power to stop him.

I don't love how this went down, and yeah I would have much rather seen this go through the primary system and had Newsom, Whitmer, Shapiro, etc actually run against him for delegates. But to call this an insurrection is hilarious.
he also has not even been nominated yet. so he's not even the nominee. presumptive nominee, I guess.

So, as you can see, MAGAt commentators already had these #realinsurrection talking points lined up. And the cult members are already regurgitating them.

Next stop, CNN and NYT.
and surprisingly, CBC lol. (they had a classic headline this morning about Kamala's 'uphill battle' or something. I declined to read the article)

Dems doing everything they can to end the sideshow right away. "No questions asked, it's Harris. Now let's move on." It's the right move I think.
I was skeptical they'd be able to pull something like this, which was a big part of my opposition to a change in the ticket at this late stage.

But, fingers crossed, they seem to have done it as seamlessly as possible, thus far. Everyone's lining up behind Kamala. I don't love her as a candidate (I personally think she's good, but have concerns about her electability still), but at least the Dems are hopefully done knifing themselves in the back and can focus all the attention on the existential threat to the American republic.

Back