• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

where do you get off lumping Olive Oil with this 2nd rate seed shit??? I mostly use olive and avocado oils....but will sheepishly use sunflower oil the next time I make mayo
Because the study included olive oil! Plus the hardcore cultists demonize oilve oil too! Don't worry about it, I've got it covered. I got sick for a week last year and went full HL researching my way into a weird culty internet rabbit hole and I've never fully come out of it.

buying twitter is the first play he's made that he did for political reasons.

btw, Lewis went on to say this about Musk eventually blowing himself up (in the same interview)

“I think he will. But he’s got a bigger fortress than Sam (Bankman-Fried), so it’s going to take more work to blow himself up. Still, you can see him moving in that direction. There’s a kind of self-destructive impulse there.”
A memory bubbles up and Lewis barks out a laugh. “There was a funny moment when Sam was talking about whether they wanted to invest in Twitter. He’d just had a conversation with Musk, and he says: ‘Man, he’s a weird dude.’” Another laugh. “I thought, if Sam Bankman-Fried calls you a weird dude – you are one weird dude.”

They're all pretty much benign until otherwise proven (canola has been shown to be net neutral basically) but some studies show that some have potential health benefits compared to butter, like possibly reducing cardiovascular risk factors. Safflower, rapeseed, sunflower, olive oil all are shown to reduce cardio risks compared to butter. For weight loss there are some quality studies showing that they're either all equivalent to or superior to animal fats; depends on the study, but none of them show they are worse.
I've seen a few studies that say finding single-source oils is significant. Some companies are blending oils from different countries that are years old and filtering and colouring them. Pretty gross. From what I've seen, California is probably the best single source of olive oil.

I've seen a few studies that say finding single-source oils is significant. Some companies are blending oils from different countries that are years old and filtering and colouring them. Pretty gross. From what I've seen, California is probably the best single source of olive oil.
Yeah the olive oil industry is riddled with fake shit and blending for sure

so New Yorker did a long article 10 yrs ago about how much of the cheap olive oil is adulterated...and U of California Irvine did a lab analysis of 25 brands or so. Kirkland Brand (Costco) was very pure. I buy that a lot, and also brands that bother to post a harvest date

so New Yorker did a long article 10 yrs ago about how much of the cheap olive oil is adulterated...and U of California Irvine did a lab analysis of 25 brands or so. Kirkland Brand (Costco) was very pure. I buy that a lot, and also brands that bother to post a harvest date
Just import it directly from Italy

btw, Cleveland Health Clinic (for what it's worth) says seed oils are not as healthy as olive or avocado oils

btw, Cleveland Health Clinic (for what it's worth) says seed oils are not as healthy as olive or avocado oils

I was just referring to the one study about cardiovascular event risk reduction where olive oiler scored lower than some others! But as a whole olive oil is king. Avocado is probably up there too.

On their own there is zero evidence they do more harm than animal fats. They are often guilty by association because they are ingredients in a bunch of ultra processed trash that you see in stores (since it's the cheapest way to get fats into the formulation), but that's not what is causing people issues. There's a bit of a misinformation campaign going on about them tbh.
@CH1 From your article: “When you cut seed oils from your diet, what you’re really doing is cutting out many processed foods,” she adds. “I think that’s why we’re hearing about them as being so bad for your health. But it’s less about the seed oils themselves and more about the fact that they’re so often found in ultra-processed foods.”

bowing-thank-you.gif

I googled Joe Rogan seed oils assuming he'd be in on it. I was right. Many videos came up. I decided to share the one with my favorite title. Best of luck!

Having never listened to anything on the topic, I’d imagine the Rogan position is that seed oils are a conspiracy by “big grocery” and are specifically engineered in a lab to cause cancer. And that you should instead substitute fat that you rendered yourself from an elk that you personally hunted and killed with a bow. And that this home-rendered fat is a miracle super food that improves your brain thinkin’ by 79%.

And then the RFK Jr position is almost exactly the same, except substitute personally-collected roadkill or beached whale for the bow-hunted elk.

@CH1 From your article: “When you cut seed oils from your diet, what you’re really doing is cutting out many processed foods,” she adds. “I think that’s why we’re hearing about them as being so bad for your health. But it’s less about the seed oils themselves and more about the fact that they’re so often found in ultra-processed foods.”

bowing-thank-you.gif

Oh yeah...never doubted that. Food that come in a box is full of junk.

my only (slight) dilemma occurs when I make mayo (I currently mostly use avocado because I have it around, but wonder if I should just buy a giant tub of cheap sunflower oil)

Back